PDA

View Full Version : Truck Tires

ECATV Raptor
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I've been looking for new tires for my truck for a long time now. I originally wanted a mud or off road tire but was talked out of em. So Ive narrowed it down to two all terrain tires. The Nitto Terra Grapplers or BFG All Terrains. The Grapplers are alot cheaper then the All Terrains. Any input on these two tires?
All Terrains

Slinky
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I've ran both the BFG AT's and Terra Grapplers....personally i like the Terra Gapplers better and the price is very good on them. They wear awsome too, just keep them rotated.

CDCHONDAS
01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
around here I so much hate bfg a/t

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I put mud kings on my ranger because I wanted a mud tire and I really didn't care about anything else.

Turns out to be a pretty good tire and they are fairly inexpensive. They are very quiet on the highway compared to most mud tires and even quieter than some A/T's, which doesnt matter cause I like em loud too. They are also wearing very good, I have been very good about keeping on top of rotations too. I wheel off road with them over rocks, sand, and snow, and they are holding up very good. Light em up once in a while on dry pavement and they still are wearing very good, with no signs of rounding off, which is surprising as they are very soft. They were about $50 cheaper per tire at my local tire shop when compared to BFG A/Ts.

ECATV Raptor
01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
These are the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I dont think their tread is as nobby as the BFG's

hardkoratvmxr
01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Get the terra grapplers definately. IMO they are a way better all terrain tire than the BFG A/T K/O. We personally have the Terra Grapplers on a 3/4 ton dodge cummins diesel and they are very quiet and ride really nicely. They also do ok offroad if you so choose to do so. The BFG A/T imo suck at everything but pavement and even then I do not like them.

Family Guy
01-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Well I definitely prefer the BFG's. I have been running them for many years on several different trucks. I have nothing bad to say about them. They wear well and have good off road capabilities for an all terrain tire.

xx3003xrdrxx
01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
my friend and I both recently got the BFG's they are awsome tires. Gives your truck a very rugged look , are quiet , and do very good in the muck ;) They are pricey as hell tho . Oh , by the way we both have 33's , i dont know what size you are planning to run but i am sure that they will all look good .

ECATV Raptor
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Im lookin at a 285/16 tire. Which is about a 33.

gbcap
01-30-2007, 04:41 PM
i have had mud terrains and all terrains. the all terrains will last atleast another 20k miles then mud tires.

i would go with bfg's in my opinion. they look better but they do cost a lil bit more. worth it to me. the T G look to wimpy.

popo
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
Get the terra grapplers definately. IMO they are a way better all terrain tire than the BFG A/T K/O. We personally have the Terra Grapplers on a 3/4 ton dodge cummins diesel and they are very quiet and ride really nicely. They also do ok offroad if you so choose to do so. The BFG A/T imo suck at everything but pavement and even then I do not like them.

I've pulled more people out using Terra flops with my BFG AT KO.

I am switching to Cooper STT 285/70/17 for the added advantange of having a good highway/mud tire.

Problem with any AT tire, they get packed up too easy, compared to a semi tight lug mud tire, also the road noise is min.

popo
01-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ECATV Raptor
Im lookin at a 285/16 tire. Which is about a 33.

What kind of truck?

TWISTED
01-30-2007, 06:06 PM
One word for tires, MICHELIN.....

250RXCrider
01-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Over the years I have had 4 different sets of BFG A/t's and they have been a great all around tire. They are by no means a mud tire and they will pack up, but then again they are not designed to be a mud tire. I would generally get about 65K out of a set with regular alignments, balance and rotation. They do start chopping pretty bad if you do not rotate them.

ilpadrino113
01-30-2007, 06:29 PM
personally i'd go with mastercraft mt's

they're cheap (relatively) and they wear as much if you drive normally. the road noise is actually quite good with them too

I usually run mc mt's on my jeeps and most of my friends do too.

I've had the same pair on my cherokee for over a year now and they're holdin up fine

400exstud
01-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I have Dayton Timberlines on my F-150 and they are surprisingly good at everything so far. They can go through over a foot of snow in 2wd (although my truck has a posi rear end). Very predictable sliding action, topped by none of my friends.

firefighterjosh
01-30-2007, 08:07 PM
I've been looking for new tires for my truck for a long time now. I originally wanted a mud or off road tire but was talked out of em. So Ive narrowed it down to two all terrain tires. The Nitto Terra Grapplers or BFG All Terrains. The Grapplers are alot cheaper then the All Terrains. Any input on these two tires?
All Terrains

I had those tires on my truck they did great in snow and wore fairly decent. Now I have Maxxis buckshots and they do good in mud but suck in hard packed snow

tp300ex
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
buckshoot suck on the road!

firefighterjosh
01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
buckshoot suck on the road!

Do you mean wear? Accually mine have wore nicely. about 35k on them and there just under 1/2 tread

tp300ex
01-30-2007, 08:58 PM
yea my cuzz had them on his truck it had a 6" lift but idk if that had anything to do with it....

coolguy8769
01-30-2007, 08:59 PM
our 2001 ford excursion came stock with the first tires shown in this thread. Now they rode very nice and made no road noise, but when it rained and our fields got muddy and trying to get our horse trailer out was HELL even before i got to the trailer, They would pack up with mud an dbe useless even in 4x4 low. Now resently we purchased Mud Terrrains and :eek: pure grip!! alittle heavy and are alittle noisey but for what we do with the truck (towingnd going around town and 4x4ing on a farm) they work perfectly.

plus they look BADD ***

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/momscar004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/coolguy8769/momscar005.jpg

EDIT: the excursion just rolled over 100,000 miles on the way home school today!!!

firefighterjosh
01-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by tp300ex
yea my cuzz had them on his truck it had a 6" lift but idk if that had anything to do with it....

It might have cuz I just have a Body lift on my ranger and they wear good. Now my buddy has a suspeion lift ( 6 inch) on his ranger and his tires sit a little weird and he wears out tires. Even balancing them and rotating didn't do poo. BUt that will be fixed since we are doing a strait axle:D

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
It might have cuz I just have a Body lift on my ranger and they wear good. Now my buddy has a suspeion lift ( 6 inch) on his ranger and his tires sit a little weird and he wears out tires. Even balancing them and rotating didn't do poo. BUt that will be fixed since we are doing a strait axle:D

Its the I-beam setup. One of the strongest setups you can have. I love mine, and I dont care how the tires wear... its cheaper than replacing axles and crap. Anyways you really only see the tires wear from funny angles if you lift and dont do a camber fix.:rolleyes:

Vindex Injuriae
01-31-2007, 06:18 AM
BFG A/T's for sure - best A/T tire available in my opinion. I've run them on everything from Jeeps to 1 ton diesels - they last great, work awesome in snow and ice and are smooth and predictable off road. Granted, as with anyother A/T, their mud capabilities are limited, but all around, they are an awesome tire.

For mud, I love the Maxxis Buckshots. Good wear and an awesome price! Work good in snow and ice, especially for an aggressive mud tire. I'm running the Maxxis on my Tacoma now, second set, and I'll be sticking with them.

Pappy
01-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 250RXCrider
Over the years I have had 4 different sets of BFG A/t's and they have been a great all around tire. They are by no means a mud tire and they will pack up, but then again they are not designed to be a mud tire. I would generally get about 65K out of a set with regular alignments, balance and rotation. They do start chopping pretty bad if you do not rotate them.

I agree. I just turned 65k on my BFG's and they havent let me down, Anyone who saw me pull out of that hole at the Penton GNCC in 05 will atest how well they do:devil:

trick450r
01-31-2007, 09:27 AM
im running pro comp all terrains and they do great in the mud/snow/and dry pavement...4 inch skyjacker lift and 35 inch brg mud terrains coming soon though, PM me if you would like to by some 285-75-16 pro comp all terrains with like 900-1000 miles on them

ECATV Raptor
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by popo
What kind of truck?
GMC 2500HD.
Any body know about the handeling on the Toyo Open Country's

FreeStylerEx
02-02-2007, 11:48 PM
just get tsl boggers, they last 2500miles haha but they sound wicked, or get tsl sx's they ride good

Rastus
02-03-2007, 12:10 AM
The thing with tire choices is that everyone has a different opinion about which is best. The same tire on two different vehicles is not a good comparison, too many variables.

I've had BFG A/T in the size you're looking at, and they are very good tires. Mud traction isn't on par with a pure mud tire, but that's to be expected. If you can spin the tires fast enough that they'll clean in the muck, then these tires will take you everywhere you need to go.
Snow traction is great. Rain traction is as good as can be expected for a truck.
Noise level is good, I didn't really notice much difference from the tires before. They wear well, as long as you keep them in balance and rotated. (Something that needs to be done often with bigger tires anyway.)
I really can't think of a bad thing about them, except that they cost more than I wish they did.

300exQuadracer
02-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by ilpadrino113
personally i'd go with mastercraft mt's
they're cheap (relatively) and they wear as much if you drive normally. the road noise is actually quite good with them too

i have run 2 seperate sets(33" and 35") of mastercraft mt's one set (35") wore excellent the other set (33") had 3 tires cupped in no time and they are a fairly loud tire, but fairly cheap

400eXr1d3rZ
02-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Terrains. Any input on these two tires?
All Terrains

My dad has those on his Tacoma, they work great in the mud, loose dirt, sand and wear great on the road.

atvRiDa400ex
02-03-2007, 09:59 AM
my dad rolls with the all terrain BFG, but he fell in love with the new mud terrains that arent too beefy but have a much nicer grab,,,check em out!

clutch22
02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I had 31" BFG All terrains on my 95 Jimmy, and where i'm from it gets Very muddy,.... I always loved laughen at people that were stuck in the ditch as i drove past..... I did alot of muddin in those tires, and never got stuck.