PDA

View Full Version : Will not start

Loven It
01-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Can anyone offer a list of items to trouble shoot? 99 400ex...

It is trying to start but will not actually kick over. At one point we thought it was the switch assembly and so we replaced that. Told we needed a new battery, replaced that. Put new spark plug in, still won't start.

This quad had a complete re-build done to it a short time ago.

Since then we have ridden it 3 times because everytime we try to it won't start.

knelson
01-30-2007, 07:13 AM
So you are saying it will spin and not fire correct? Pull your sparkplug, put it in the boot, touch the metal part of the plug to the motor, and spin it over. Look for a spark @ the electrode gap (hold the spark plug boot with some rubber handle pliers) Need to see if you got spark.

dariusld
01-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Is it stock?

Loven It
01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
Is it stock?

Yes...

Kaleigh
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Loven It
Can anyone offer a list of items to trouble shoot? 99 400ex...

It is trying to start but will not actually kick over. At one point we thought it was the switch assembly and so we replaced that. Told we needed a new battery, replaced that. Put new spark plug in, still won't start.

This quad had a complete re-build done to it a short time ago.

Since then we have ridden it 3 times because everytime we try to it won't start.

did you try jumping it from the relay..

since you have rebuilt it.. it hasnt started?.. it wont kick over at all?.. do you hear a clicking noise when you press the start button?...

Loven It
01-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
did you try jumping it from the relay..

since you have rebuilt it.. it hasnt started?.. it wont kick over at all?.. do you hear a clicking noise when you press the start button?...

I do not beleive anyone has tried to jump it from the relay.

Since the re-build it has only actually complelety started by hitting the switch 3 times.

When I try to start it..it sounds like it is going to start but will not completely kick over.

dariusld
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
When it did run , how was it? Did it sputter,or miss, how was the power?

Loven It
01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
When it did run , how was it? Did it sputter,or miss, how was the power?

It was running completely fine..

interceptorz28
02-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Sounds electrical to me. Make sure your batt is charged and all your connections are good. Let us know if it just cranks and cranks and doesnt start.

Loven It
02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
Sounds electrical to me. Make sure your batt is charged and all your connections are good. Let us know if it just cranks and cranks and doesnt start.

That is all it is doing...sounds really strong when trying to start...kinda like a car - it tries to start but won't actually start.

The battery is brand new as of this past Saturday.

AbnMP13
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Not trying to be a smart a## but is the fuel on?

I've killed my battery before trying to start it when the fuel was turned off.

interceptorz28
02-02-2007, 07:39 AM
fuel and the on/off switch on the bars....just to cover the bases. I see you changed the plug, thats good.

You need to check for spark. Take off the spark plug boot, then stick a philips head screw driver into the spark plug boot so that it touches the metal ring inside it. Hold the tip of the screwdriver in there and you want to hold the metal end of the screwdriver against the engine. THen try starting the quad, you want to look for a little blue spark that will jump from the end of the scewdriver(near the handle) onto the motor. If you see this then you have spark.

I hope this isnt confusing, let me know if I can clarify anything.

400eXr1d3rZ
02-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Easier way to check for spark is to just take the plug out, put it in the boot, ground it against the head.

HondaSkidoo
02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Where do you live? What is the temp. outside? It is about 10 degrees in Michigan and I know mine will not start unless I heat the garage for a while to warm it up. Good Luck

exrider49
02-03-2007, 08:29 AM
if its cold outside then ur oil will thicken up so put it in a wam garage and try it...if that dont work get a dvom meter and put it on DC-20 and put the test leads on the battery and see what ur reading is and then crank it over and see what ur reading is and it shouldnt drop that much....check all ur connections and grounds becuz u prlly have a dirty conection or bad ground and u could of saved ur self from buying a battery..i kno this becuz im goin to skool for this and ity happens all the time