PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Tires?

nater344
01-30-2007, 06:25 AM
I am looking into getting new tires for my R and was wondering which tires you trail guys have had the most success with. I live in Pennsylvania and the trails I ride are extremely rocky. I am looking for tires that wear well and are good for hill climbs, mud, hard pack.....the whole 9 yards. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by nater344
I am looking into getting new tires for my R and was wondering which tires you trail guys have had the most success with. I live in Pennsylvania and the trails I ride are extremely rocky. I am looking for tires that wear well and are good for hill climbs, mud, hard pack.....the whole 9 yards. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Maxxis razr II's seem to be the most popular

I myself am a Kenda fan...klaws or knarlys. Kenda has a pretty good size line up for the XC/trail crowd.

nater344
01-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I have seen quite a few people on this site running the Kendas. What have you heard about the Klaw XCR's. What ply are they and do they wear well?

450ERRRRRR!
01-30-2007, 06:48 AM
You cant go wrong with razrs2's. They last forever,but I just put on a set of Irazrs and look out!! They ride and handle like no other tire out there. I was doing a little hill climbing on wet dirt and they gripped liked they were glued to the ground. I even found them cheaper then razrs2. Got them from chapperall motorsports for about $64 each.

ShiftFMX
01-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
You cant go wrong with razrs2's. They last forever,but I just put on a set of Irazrs and look out!! They ride and handle like no other tire out there. I was doing a little hill climbing on wet dirt and they gripped liked they were glued to the ground. I even found them cheaper then razrs2. Got them from chapperall motorsports for about $64 each.

My cousin got some of those iRazr's on his R in the summer and he says its already time to replace them. He does mostly hard/rocky trail riding

damian600
01-30-2007, 07:06 AM
iRazrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 07:11 AM
I razrs wear really fast!

450raider
01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
well this is coming out of nowhere but since you said "whole nine yard trails" id say dirtdevils or mudlites:D, and then some razrs or kenda for the front

procircuit406ex
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
iRazR- wears too fast
RazR2- the way to go

So....RazR2;)

nater344
01-30-2007, 08:33 AM
I had a set of Razr's on my LT250R and they performed well, but I haven't tried the Razr2's or the IRazr's yet. Then again, I am looking for tires for my 450R and it's a total different beast! Has anyone had success with the kenda klaw's?

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep em coming!

TarheelRedRider
01-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I run all Irazrs and love them on track or trail but they do wear very fast and get ripped up pretty bad if you ride really rocky trails but they are 6ply and if they go flat the side walls are bout stiff enough to ride flat if you have to ride back to the truck if you do pop one.

450ERRRRRR!
01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I hear alot of good things about Kenda klaws. I'm going to try a set when these Irazrs wear out, which should be sometime next week according to alot of riders. Maybe I'll get a little more time out of them if I ride like my age.:D

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
I would probably get a set of 21" rear kenda knarly XC's they look like a very good tire, and they have the 21" which is nice between the typical 20s and 22s.

ghott
01-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I use Kenda Klaw XC's all the way around and love them....not as heavy as Holeshot HD's or Razr2's...not nearly as expensive as the Maxxis or ITP tires....and they have excellent wear!

nater344
01-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I haven't researched the Kenda Knarly XC's yet, but I will.

Anyone else?

nater344
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I was going to pm you about those ghott because I read in one of your threads that you recently purchased a set. If I remember correctly you stated that they hook up well. How many hours do you have on them now? Are they 6 ply? I have actually been fairly happy with my stockers, but would like to try something different. The only Kenda's I have ever run were Vipers, but that was when I was 12 years old and was running a Suzuki 230 Quadsport. Quads are a different story anymore!

Flynbryan19
01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I have had razr1's, Kenda klaws, and Kenda Knarlys HT's on the rear. Both are great tires and last a loooong time.

I'd put the Klaws traction about equal to Razr1's. They're not quite as soft as the razrs.

The knarlys HT's are also a great tire, but seems to have alittle too stiff of a tread compound so you'll have alittle more tire spin on hard pack stuff.

Razr1's are a great tire, but I felt they wore more quickly then both the Kendas. But, they also got slightly better traction.

Razr2's are amazing tires for muddy/sloppy conditions, but I felt they pushed too much in the corners when it was anything other than nasty out. But, I will say they are the best handling front tire on the market. ;)

They're all great tires, its just a question of if you want grip, long life, or cheap price. I personally think the Kendas are the best compromise of all three.

ghott
01-30-2007, 11:25 AM
I was going to pm you about those ghott because I read in one of your threads that you recently purchased a set. If I remember correctly you stated that they hook up well. How many hours do you have on them now? Are they 6 ply? I have actually been fairly happy with my stockers, but would like to try something different. The only Kenda's I have ever run were Vipers, but that was when I was 12 years old and was running a Suzuki 230 Quadsport. Quads are a different story anymore!

Yes...I've had them for about 1 1/2 months now...approximately 10 hours on the tires...rough guesstimate.

I put them thru the ringer when I went up to George Washington National Forest...Fort Valley in Edinburg, Va. The place is nothing but a rock garden...sharp rocks EVERYWHERE. No punctures whatsoever, and they provided superb hookup.

Needless to say, I'm very satisfied and consider the cheap price for the KLAWS money well spent.

My 21x7x10 Kenda Klaw XCR fronts are 4-ply.
My 20x11x9 Kenda Klaw XCR rears are 6-ply.

"Sjorge300ex" has informed me that Kenda came out with a new KLAW called the 'XC' (notice no "R" on the end). He said they are 6-ply rears and 6-PLY FRONTS!

Good stuff :).

nater344
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks ghott! I will definitely check both of them out. Appreciate your help!

CDCHONDAS
01-30-2007, 12:04 PM
when I still rode alot I ran Kenda Klaws, and absolutely loved them, Razr 2's are really good and hold up well, as for the iRazr they seem to get sliced up quicker, but man I couldnt beat how those klaws wore, seemed to last forever, lately I think they are getting hard to get, the distributor I get them from closed them out because most were always on backorder, here they make the parts unlimited tires (avs?) and barely have time to make their own so kenda's can be hard to get sometimes. they make the tires for part un. until they have them satisfied then make their own which could be 100-10000. thats what my rep told me

red2004 TRX450R
01-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I am running razr2's all around and i like them.
my back tires are getting worn out so i just picked up a rear set of Kenda Knarlys XC, I have not mounted them yet but they look good!!
It will be a couple of months before i switch them over, but i will keep you posted.

I would run razr2's in the fount!!!

roundsy
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
i'm gonna try the new mudlite sp tires for the rears this spring or maybe the end of this winter if i can find them available in canada. it gets pretty messy around here and even though i'm not a fan of the mud holes the trails can be almost as sloppy at times. my bud had the normal 22"s on his rappy 700 this year and he loved them. they seem to work real good for around here, and i would have tried them sooner but i really dont like 22"s tires. i'm also gonna try them because i want a half decent snow/mud/trail tire because as of right now i have razr mxs on one pair of rear wheels and stockers on the others and they don't seem to be cutting it...lol. not to hijack your thread or anything but has anyone tried these out yet?

GIXXER1KR
01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I run Holeshot XCR's all around and love them.They hook excellent and wear really well...I love em,,and was very surprised how long there lasting.I ride rough rocky trail,pavement,and track...I thought they'd wear fast because they feel soft but an excellent tire.I had Mudlites and only ran them when it was really muddy and had been raining like crazy(nothing stopped me)..Just keep in mind they took a utility tire and lightened it up and made it available in sport sizes.If u run in mostly muddy and wet conditions then they would be excellent and id highly recommend them.But i cant see that tread pattern in the front.Way too much traction.They dont handle well in the corners and coming outta corners...When i would come outta a trail sideways i would lose it and sometimes spin out.Hope this helps!:devil:

roundsy
01-30-2007, 04:55 PM
yeah i can't see that tread pattern for the front tires of a sport quad or even a 2x4 utility quad at all. i was just interested in the 20"s rears, i'll be running razrs or razr 2s up front

N300exJ
01-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Maxxis Razr 2's.......

KrazyKeith
01-30-2007, 06:49 PM
All the tires mentioned are good. The Klaws are awesome Knarlys are too. I razers, razor 2's, xcr's all great tires. I recomend the ITP GNCC's. They are my favorite so far. Unbeatable all around traction. Tough too.

nater344
01-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Red 2004 TRX450R

Have you been riding lately? If I remember correctly, we rode together this past summer with Bob Latchaw. Several of us rode all day this past Saturday, but are looking for more people and different places to ride. PM me if your interested in riding and i'll shoot you my cell number.

Nate

red2004 TRX450R
01-31-2007, 10:03 AM
Red 2004 TRX450R

Have you been riding lately? If I remember correctly, we rode together this past summer with Bob Latchaw. Several of us rode all day this past Saturday, but are looking for more people and different places to ride. PM me if your interested in riding and i'll shoot you my cell number.

Nate

ya its me, and that was the only ride I ever got a flat with my razr 2s

nater344
01-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Red 2004 TRX 450R

I forgot that you got a flat. Other than that it was a pretty good ride! I've only been up there once since then and I was by myself. We should call up the crew and plan a ride! Let me know.

Nate

Lonestar_R
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I have Razr 2 Fronts and IRazr Rears...the IRazr rears bite like no other and slide great....but wear way to fast.....I will probably go with Razr 2's for the rear the next time. I love the Razr 2 Fronts though...

A couple of my buddies are raving about the ITP GNCC's though. But I'm not sold on them

nater344
02-01-2007, 05:39 AM
Lonestar_R

I see that you live in Oil City. If I remember correctly, you ride with Speedyquad? Did he sell his R yet? Do you guy race or trail ride? We are always looking for new people to ride with if you are interested.

Nate

Lonestar_R
02-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Yeah I ride with Speedy. No he didn't sell it......one day he wants to the next he doesn't.....But I think he has finally decided on keeping it. Yeah we race each other that is about it. Mostly just really fast trail ride. Yeah we are willing to ride with new people at any time. As long as time and schedules permit.

4ABURN
02-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I have the mudlights on my er right now 22s for the mud and the snow and they are great. a lot of traction, do not slide well on the dirt,but for trails they track like they are on rails. 20s are know out these will be my next tire.:D :D

red2004 TRX450R
02-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Lonestar_R and Speedyquad we still need to ride together - It almost happened couple of times last summer.

I have rode with nater344 and he is a real nice guy.

We should all get together and ride when the snow stops flying!!!

Lonestar_R
02-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Sounds good to me.......there is a small poker run in pleasantville the day before easter.....cook your own steak dinner included in the price......we are up for that .....maybe you guys will be too

nater344
02-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I ride year around, so I'm game anytime! Five of us went out last weekend and it was a blast in the snow! We even got the modded CRF 50 pit bike out on the mini track. I still have a hole in my leg from wrecking it. We are also planning a weekend ride up in Rew, PA at Majestic Trails. If you guys haven't been there yet, it is a great time!! They have 38 1/2 miles of oneway trails with lots of jumps, a decent MX track, hillclimbs, mud pits and a nice camping area. Check it out on the web if you're interested in going and let me know.

http://www.majestictrails.com/lodging.php

Lonestar_R
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Nater344 Where do you live? Oil City, Seneca? I don't ride much in the winter. That then allows me to do somethings around my house and then I can ride all summer and the wife can't nag me about it

red2004 TRX450R
02-02-2007, 11:34 AM
I ride year around, so I'm game anytime! Five of us went out last weekend and it was a blast in the snow! We even got the modded CRF 50 pit bike out on the mini track. I still have a hole in my leg from wrecking it. We are also planning a weekend ride up in Rew, PA at Majestic Trails. If you guys haven't been there yet, it is a great time!! They have 38 1/2 miles of oneway trails with lots of jumps, a decent MX track, hillclimbs, mud pits and a nice camping area. Check it out on the web if you're interested in going and let me know.

http://www.majestictrails.com/lodging.php

if you don't want to pay money and travel that far you can give me a call.

nater344
02-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Derek

Do you have some decent places to ride? Let me know when you can ride. I'm ready anytime! Hell, I'll ride this tomorrow or Sunday if you want to go. Give me a call and let me know.

Nate

ShiftFMX
02-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Hey Ghott, I checked out Kenda's Website, and I noticed that they added the 6 ply front (no new rear tire). It doesnt look any different, just thicker I guess. But Klaws are for sure my choice on tires when the funds become available!

Ugh, this new one doesnt come in a 21" :mad:

K532FA Klaw XC front
* Tread pattern specifically designed for GNCC style riding.
* New durable 6PR casing for the toughest terrain.
* Perfect front tire with the K535A Knarly XC rear.

http://kendausa.com/_DOWNLOADS/images/model/k532FA.jpg

trx400exxracer
02-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Kenda klaws 6 ply for the front!!!

trx400exxracer
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
and the 21 inch knarly xc rears!!! I have had them since Christmas just haven't put them on yet!!! But I will soon!

86Rryder
02-02-2007, 06:53 PM
PLEASE GOD...Don't let anyone else put those mudlites on a 450r! That thing looks like fing crap. You might be a redneck if......lol

ShiftFMX
02-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 86Rryder
PLEASE GOD...Don't let anyone else put those mudlites on a 450r! That thing looks like fing crap. You might be a redneck if......lol

I see a hitch and a rear rack in the future of that quad! :p :scary: