PDA

View Full Version : need to replace the one way start gear

450rJam
01-30-2007, 03:55 AM
ok, my stinking e start finally shot craps, it just spins the starter without engaging the motor.

it pop starts fine but im not pushing it around in the sand next month.

so.......anyone replaced the one way clutch gear for the 06/07 e-starter ?

any tips before I start ? I know I need the gear but is there anything else I need before I start ? thankx for any info on this.

I have the service manual, but there are sometimes little secrets
like tilting it on side to avoid draining clutch oil or coolant.

ieatglue
01-30-2007, 08:50 AM
i had my replace by honda and they had to replace about 5 different parts in there. i suggest you tear it down first to see exactly what you need before ordering the parts.

procircuit406ex
01-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Ya I know what you need...a kicker kit haha j/m ya Id tear it down first too.

lumi
01-30-2007, 09:06 AM
what exactly was ur starting procedure... this will help u understand why it happened how to advoid it and what will need replacing... over extended cranking will usally meam u have killed the sprags and iwll not engage 50 bucks for a new start clutch from S/H but if ur getting alot of backfire from the engine during starting or if u ever gave it alot of gas during cranking at the same time than more kickback this might have damage the starter gear hub which is like another 50 i think and u will need a new side case gasket

-lumi

Colby@C&DRacing
01-30-2007, 09:29 AM
We normally replace the gear, the outer clutch housing and the clutch itself

lumi
01-30-2007, 01:16 PM
i wanna make a thread so i can get a good feel on how exactly this mechanism works as i think i do but ^^^ chim in if u can.

-lumi

450rJam
01-30-2007, 05:02 PM
well, I went to the stealership today, the parts guy was lost.
tried to tell me I needed a 280.00 starter assy.

so I went to the back to talk to the service tech (hoping he had a clue)

he had replaced a couple (imagine that), he said to replace the
one way, the 9t/19t gear, and inspect the outer and the carrier piece that holds the gears.
he acctually ran to the copier and printed me off the repair sheet
that honda sent them.
I asked about the recals also, he is getting the lower throttle but as far as the ball joints, not even honda new when the replacements may be available.

now thats a good recal, "you have a bad part and we want to replace it, but have no idea when we might get to it".

thank you guys for your help, Ill take the advice about taking it apart first to see how bad it is.

lumi
01-30-2007, 05:41 PM
why the 9/91t gear, i have never heard that being damaged, i have heard the hub on the 35T getting wore from the sprags rubbing aganist it and the sprags getting flatened aswell.... the most expensive job to do to this system will go for about 160 bucks with shipping from S/H includes gaskets 35T gear/clutch and housing... u can replace that 3 times , before it gets to the cost of the kicker.

jmho

good luck and pics

-lumi

450rJam
01-31-2007, 04:22 AM
sure would be nice to have both kicker and e-start.

I dont have a scanner but I can try to take a digital pic of the dealer paper he copied for me and post.
it says to replace the gear and check wear on other items.

when I would start it, it would crank and start then I would try to give it just a touch of gas because it would keep die.
maybe I was too quick to keep it running after it started.

does anyone know if they changed anything on the 07 model ?

cLogan
01-31-2007, 11:57 AM
yea they put a sticker on the 07's that says DO NOT APPLY GAS WHILE TRYIN TO START

lumi
01-31-2007, 12:42 PM
yea thats true...^

these starters are very very very sensitive.

a kickstart setup for a er will cost about 400 dollars... with everything.

dont know if its worth it, but to each there own...

-lumi