PDA

View Full Version : got my yz450 motor, swingarm Q?

georgedoggy
01-30-2007, 02:13 AM
hey guys,

im about to put my 450 motor in my arens frame which should be easy enough, but what about my swingarm? have any of you guys cut the swinarm to suit? if so how did you do it?

josborn
01-30-2007, 06:03 AM
I haven't done that exactly, but I'm swapping a yz 450 into a frame built for a 426 right now. I would first get the sprockets lined up, and make the bottom mounts, because if you find that these are off once you get them tacked in, they can be moved easily. You need to make a spacer for where the swingarm pivot bolt goes through the motor. Like ~.700" od, .600" id, and 2 & 15/26" long, double check that, but I know its close to that. I'd get the bottom mounts tacked in, and put the pivot bolt through, and keep the sprockets aligned, then build the front mounts. Now that its got two points holding it in there, take some measurements and cut the swingarm. Make sure you account for the collars, and caps that need to go on the inside of the arm, up against the motor. You can use identical collars and dust caps that go on the outer part of swingarm currently, that how mine is setup. Let me know if you have any questions.

georgedoggy
01-30-2007, 02:09 PM
cool, makes sense. also the back of the 450 motor has collars pressed into the motor mount that are smaller I.D that the thickness of the swingarm bolt so that will have to be drilled as well.
any other tips?
thanks

josborn
01-31-2007, 05:02 AM
Well you must have a motor out of another quad, because the stock bike collars in the motor are larger than the pivot bolt. Thats where I made a sleeve; ".700" od x .600" Id" etc., so that the bolt would fit in the motor. You can either pop those out and make new ones, or drill them to fit the bolt, I would drill them.

You might consider using a yfz 450 exhaust, I did on my 250r geom. frame and it worked sweet. I just had to make mounts on the subframe for it to bolt up.

georgedoggy
01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
thanks for the reply, youve given me good info.
the collar on the motor are about 17mm inside dia and the swingarm bolt is 19mm thick.

as for the pipe, ive got a sparks pipe off another 250r hybrid and ive just ordered yz450 headers and i suppose ill have to make a centre joining piece to suit.

thanks again.

racerx573
02-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Cut the swingarm to fit my Laeger 250R frame for my YZ hybrid.. relocated the pivot mounts on the frame, and also machined the swingarm to fit YZ swingarm bushings..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/conversion3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/conversion2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/YZ3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/racerx573/04-05%20Projects/YZ3005.jpg

georgedoggy
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
thanks jason !

just a q for ya, why did you relocate the pivot point for the swingarm? it looks like did it to make the motor higher?
my only concern with my arens frame is that the motor might sit below the bottom frame rail.
thanks

racerx573
02-04-2007, 12:50 AM
That is why we did it. Yes, the motor is higher. This way the engine can sit straight like it is supposed to, and the swingarm will pivot bolt goes all the way through the swingarm and engine. My engine sits about level with my the lower rails of my frame (the drain bolt sits about even with the bottom rail). Skid plate is mandatory, obviously. If you are worried about the gas tank clearance, use washers or 1/4" (or more) spacers to raise the tank. Take off the tank mounts and get some longer bolts for them. This does not affect the seat at all, my gas tank sits about 1/2" higher than the one on my Laeger 250R, and it doesn't make much difference when riding, unless for some reason you need to ride with your balls on the tank, haha. If you need anymore info, let me know. I know mine being a Laeger CR500 link is different... but the stock frame conversion to a YZ is 10 times easier to do than the CR500 link conversion. If you are a stock link swingarm, and you do end up relocating the pivot mount, get one of those adjustable dog bone linkages to compensate for the raised pivot point.

racerx573
02-04-2007, 12:52 AM
One more thing, make sure you have a head stay. Get some factory YZ450 head stay brackets, and make your own to bolt them to. That is what we had to do for mine. The stock Arens headstay should be easy to modify for the YZ450 brackets.

georgedoggy
02-04-2007, 04:01 AM
thanks again jason,

the frame is going to the shop this week to be done, i think ill get everything lined up first and see about how low the motor is in relation to the frame rails. i dont really want to play with the swingarm pivot point as this could cause me problems.
ill see what happens.

the below photo is off exriders and is another riders arens frame and it looks like they didnt have to play with the pivot point, so i hope this is the case, ill find out this week either way!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/georgedoggy/250rhybridyz.jpg

racerx573
02-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Try calling ECA to get more info. That yellow Arens YZ was built by them I believe.