PDA

View Full Version : yeah i know weird question to ask

400exrapes
01-29-2007, 05:12 PM
i know its weird to ask but i cant get the hang of wheelies on my 400ex its not the power the power is great i was wondering ifany of you have some tricks you do cause i see these videos where some of you ppl out there hold wheelies for miles

Kaleigh
01-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
i know its weird to ask but i cant get the hang of wheelies on my 400ex its not the power the power is great i was wondering ifany of you have some tricks you do cause i see these videos where some of you ppl out there hold wheelies for miles

do you use your rear brake.. if not its good to learn so when you go to far back you can bring that front end down.. it will take some time to learn.. dont give it.. here's a video of me learning..

also dont forget to stay in a comfortable riding position.. almost the same position as you would be in when you are normally riding.. its also easier to wheelie a stock machine cause the power isnt so snappy..

if you end up on your grab bar.. dont fear and panic.. just ride it out by pulling the clutch and then hit the rear brake.. that will bring the front end down..

also dont give up.. it will take some time.. here's a video of me learning.. you're not alone.. lol.. it took me a long time to learn how to wheelie.. but once you do.. its worth all the hard work you put into it..

EDIT JOEX - No helmet, no pics or vids.

Ruby Soho
01-29-2007, 05:59 PM
jus try one, and go back on purpose so you know what it feels like, get used to it back there, and then just find the balance point and continue to wheely

400exrapes
01-29-2007, 06:27 PM
okay thanks i dont have time really during the week to try because school and basketball games all the time only on weekends on sunday because saturday is snowboarding and i will try all of that thanks

interceptorz28
01-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Yeah man, You gotta find that balance point. You have to use that balance point with the throttle in order to get those long wheelies.

As said before, do a slow wheelie and let the quad go all the way back until it hits the rear bar. Its no big deal, practice on a grass field. But, be careful, if the bar hits the ground and digs deep , there is a chance that it could flip all the way back. In this rare instance, just throw yourself left or right to get out of the way of the falling quad. ;)

Practice makes perfect!

400exrapes
01-30-2007, 09:37 AM
thanks i will after school today im gonna try and go straight to practice its just im a light rider on a more powerful heavier quad then i need im 130 pounds with a bone stock engine 400ex with some small other mods

Kaleigh
01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 400exrapes
thanks i will after school today im gonna try and go straight to practice its just im a light rider on a more powerful heavier quad then i need im 130 pounds with a bone stock engine 400ex with some small other mods

what mods to you have on your quad.. all stock is the best to learn on .. if you can find yourself a gravel/dirt road to learn on(so the bar doesnt dig it the ground and you wont scrape it to bad like it would on pavement).. that would be best.. if you start from a stand still... use about 1/4 gas and pop the clutch.. but make sure its instant.. like right when you press up to 1/4 throttle, release the clutch while the machine is starting to rev.. dont let it rev and stay at 1/4 throttle.. this motion will bring the front end up real smooth.. (1 smooth motion with the gas then clutch)

doint this will keep the rpms down.. also you might want to turn your idle up a little bit to help you from stalling out.. when you are past the balance point you'll notice that the machine will want to bog out.. dont worry that is normal on the 400ex..

400exrapes
01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah my engine is all stock how do i turn the idle up im firmiliar just not aware how to turn it up and my quad has renthal bars,grips,steering stem,graphic kit,asv levers both sides, bumper, full skid plates, turf tamers on back and itp holeshot on front and i think thats it i dont want to fly off the quad when i pop the clutch so thats not gonna happen right?

Ruby Soho
01-30-2007, 03:30 PM
well if you pop the clutch it will come up with no problem, just when your on the gas if it goes up to far, let off and just keep tapping the gas, dont worry about it, just expiriment

400exrapes
01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
okay cool and is that how all of you do your wheelies cause i see some ppl use the grab bar can i do the same thing just with my feet in the grab bar

Ruby Soho
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
i do most of mine on the pegs standing up, it feels most comfortable with my legs in the fender grooves, sitting down only sometimes.

i used to do grab bar wheelies, but only when i first got the 400 and was getting used to the power

400exrapes
01-31-2007, 03:23 PM
thanks guys i got the time to try it a little today and i could get it up for a little easily and then need to switch and in the time i went to switch it went back down but im gonna practice i know its not the easiest thing to do thanks for the help

trxridr
01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
sorta off topic but if you wheelie for too long on a 400 will the oil pump dry out and not get any oil to the piston? is this true or is it just some joke someone made up?

Kaleigh
01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by trxridr
sorta off topic but if you wheelie for too long on a 400 will the oil pump dry out and not get any oil to the piston? is this true or is it just some joke someone made up?

this is very true that your oil wont cycle..