PDA

View Full Version : coolant?

Crazy lil punk
01-29-2007, 03:43 PM
hey guys, i just blew a radiator hose, what do i have to do to change it? and what kind of coolant should i use? regualr car coolant? Thanks in advance

canada250r
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
It's not to hard to change the coolent line, just get a new one and hook it up. As for coolent, do not use car antifreeze. Most car coolent is made with silica aka sand. It is added in to help keep the cooling ports on the motor clean . The second reason is the PH level or car coolent. It is more on the acid side of the scale. To make a long story short if you use a car coolent which has one or both of these in it it may cause so probles. Just go you your local honda dealer and but some of there coolent (premixed) or water wetter or rad ice.

Hope this helped

parttime
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
if you use regular anti freeze make sure you use distilled water when mixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you can pick it up a the grocery store.and also you can add some dca chemical treatment this also help prevent corrosion,
but dont add to much dca, buy a couple of test strips and check it first before adding any,adding to much dca is worse than not having enough

Crazy lil punk
01-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by canada250r
It's not to hard to change the coolent line, just get a new one and hook it up. As for coolent, do not use car antifreeze. Most car coolent is made with silica aka sand. It is added in to help keep the cooling ports on the motor clean . The second reason is the PH level or car coolent. It is more on the acid side of the scale. To make a long story short if you use a car coolent which has one or both of these in it it may cause so probles. Just go you your local honda dealer and but some of there coolent (premixed) or water wetter or rad ice.

Hope this helped

yes, thanks, so I should just pay the price and get the good stuff from my honda dealer? and put my new line on and I'm good to go? and do i have to drain the radiator before i pull the line off?
thanks alot
-Joe

Crazy lil punk
01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by parttime
if you use regular anti freeze make sure you use distilled water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you can pick it up a the grocery store.and also you can add some dca chemical treatment this also help prevent corrosion,
but dont add to much dca, buy a couple of test strips and check it first before adding any,adding to much dca is worse than not having enough

you got me lost, lol, so do they make something that i can just pour in?
thanks
-Joe

parttime
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
if you mix your own solution mix it with distilled water.i use the red/orange anti and mix it with distilled water

carl250r
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM
i recomend havoline dex-cool. mixed 50/50 with water.

kiesta00
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
I've heard good stuff about engine ice, kinda pricey I'll see how it works once I get my bike back together.

CorvetteZ06
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda makes the HP coolant, its already mixed and ready to go.

clutch22
01-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Is "Engine Ice" allready pre-mixed???

yfzttracer76
01-30-2007, 11:57 AM
i have used both on my quad and the liwuid performance stuff is way better than engine ice and normal coolant its more money and u have to flush your system but to me it was worth it. it might not be 2 you

kiesta00
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
yes engine ice is pre mixed

250r4life
01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
yes, thanks, so I should just pay the price and get the good stuff from my honda dealer? and put my new line on and I'm good to go? and do i have to drain the radiator before i pull the line off?
thanks alot
-Joe

i would have figured if you blew a hose that it would have drained itself already?

replacing a hose is pretty complicated- loosen a clamp on one end, loosen a clamp on the other end, and pull it off...

i like engine ice...

Crazy lil punk
01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i would have figured if you blew a hose that is would have drained itself already?

replacing a hose is pretty complicated- loosen a clamp on one end, loosen a clamp on the other end, and pull it off...

i like engine ice...

okay smart ***;) , just trying to make sure I dont miss anything

250r4life
01-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
okay smart ***;) , just trying to make sure I dont miss anything

sorry bro... i couldnt resist....

if you go with engine ice make sure and change it annually...

Aceman
01-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i would have figured if you blew a hose that it would have drained itself already?

i like engine ice...

Well just to make sure you don't miss anything and adding to what 250r4life posted,

put the new hose on, tighten one clamp on one end, tighten the clamp on the other end and fill with coolant. You do that through the cap on the radiator.:p

Crazy lil punk
01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Well just to make sure you don't miss anything and adding to what 250r4life posted,

put the new hose on, tighten one clamp on one end, tighten the clamp on the other end and fill with coolant. You do that through the cap on the radiator.:p

holy sh*t I would have never guessed that!!! thanks alot!!!
-cough-smartass-cough- lol

Aceman
01-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Just foolin' man.

I run Engine Ice in my R.