PDA

View Full Version : New A-arms, in need of a smart person.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Can someone give me steps to installing new a-arms?

HiperEX
01-29-2007, 02:34 PM
remove the old a-arms adn put the new ones on he same way the old ones came off, and then adjust the camber/caster pretty straight forward

enduro400rider
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
get the bike in the air. take the front wheels off. there are 4 bolts with coter pins that hold the a-arms to the front hubs, take those off. beat the ball joints out of the spindles or use a ball joint tool. take the a-arms off and bolt the new ones up, in the opposite way you took the old off. if they are extended arms, then take off the tie-rods and install the new ones. this is a very easy job. you will probably spend most of your time getting everything loose, those coter pins are the worst they seem to be put in at bad angles. you might have to dial in your alignment when your done, look at your tie-rods and you will see how that works. i would reccomend you put it back together with lock tight ;)

NacsMXer
01-29-2007, 02:38 PM
To start out, get the quad in the air and remove your tires. Remove your shocks. Then, look where the a- arms are mounted to your spindle. Remove the cotter pins that go through the castle nuts. Remove the castle nuts themselves. Here comes the tricky part: removing the ball joints from the spindles. You will need to tap on the side of the spindle with a hammer (not too hard) while pulling on the arm to get the ball joints to release from the spindle. Once they are free from the spindle, remove the arms where they attach to the frame.

Remove the tie rods from the tie rod ends by putting a wrench on the flat portion of the tie rod to hold it. Loosen the jam nuts at both ends (the one closest to the tire is reverse thread).

Repeat for the other side.

Install the new arms the same way you took them off. This write up is just to give you general guidelines....I would recommend a factory service manual for all the torque specs on the bolts plus it gives step by step instructions with pictures on how to do everything I said.

Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions about this.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
To start out, get the quad in the air and remove your tires. Remove your shocks. Then, look where the a- arms are mounted to your spindle. Remove the cotter pins that go through the castle nuts. Remove the castle nuts themselves. Here comes the tricky part: removing the ball joints from the spindles. You will need to tap on the side of the spindle with a hammer (not too hard) while pulling on the arm to get the ball joints to release from the spindle. Once they are free from the spindle, remove the arms where they attach to the frame.

Remove the tie rods from the tie rod ends by putting a wrench on the flat portion of the tie rod to hold it. Loosen the jam nuts at both ends (the one closest to the tire is reverse thread).

Repeat for the other side.

Install the new arms the same way you took them off. This write up is just to give you general guidelines....I would recommend a factory service manual for all the torque specs on the bolts plus it gives step by step instructions with pictures on how to do everything I said.

Feel free to ask if you have more specific questions about this.

That sounds EXTREMELY simple, THANK YOU!!!

I can rebuilt the top-end, but change change arms :blah:

NacsMXer
01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
That sounds EXTREMELY simple, THANK YOU!!!

I can rebuilt the top-end, but change change arms :blah:

Not a problem, happy to help if I can. Good luck with the install :D

400eXr1d3rZ
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I got the shocks off, I got the cotter pin out of the castle nut, now I can't get the nut off, it's damn tight on there, any ideas?

banshee84
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
use a longer wrench or put a pipe over the one you are using to add levrage. You can also spray some wd40 on it.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I got both shocks off, one a-arm off, but i ccan't get the others off, I need one of the boot fork things. A firned of mine has one, he's coming to help me tommorow.

NacsMXer
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
A ball joint separator fork will do the trick, but be aware that it will most likely cut your ball joint boots. If you're just going to toss the stock arms, don't worry about it.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
A ball joint separator fork will do the trick, but be aware that it will most likely cut your ball joint boots. If you're just going to toss the stock arms, don't worry about it.

I ripped the **** out of them anyway :blah:

NacsMXer
01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice :D Try flipping the castle nuts over on the threads, add some washers if you want, and stick a socket between the upper/lower nuts. Once you get it in there, back off the nuts against eachother....the pressure should get at least one to pop out. Once one is out, you can get to the other one through the hole in the spindle with a punch and hammer.

Or if you really don't care about screwing up the the threads, just bang away with a hammer directly on the stud and it will submit eventually :devil: