PDA

View Full Version : Motor Locked up #4 of 5

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 07:44 AM
I went home this weekend to find out that my younger brother crapped my engine out on my 05 450R. Only mods as far as motor work goes are a slip on HMF, UNI filter no lid, hotcam stage 1, and jetting. He claims it ran fine, he shut it off. Started it back up after taking a break, started moving a long and then it shut off on its own. Went to kick it over and its locked right up. I started the tear down this past weekend. Top end looks great. Pulled out the oil filter... loaded with metal shavings. Im thinking thrust bearings!? This is the 4th 450R that has locked up out of the 5 between me and my buddies. #5 is a ticking time bomb because it has the least use. I dont know how many hours are on my engine, but I take care of mine probably the best out of all of us. Oil changed often. Air filter cleaned often. I use klotz 10-40 motor oil and Honda red bottle gear oil.

After starting the tear down, I am now facing a problem getting the engine out of the frame. The swingarm bolt is frozen up, and will not budge. There is also a bolt through the bottom of the engine that will spin but not come out, I think maybe there is a spacer in between the frame mounts that is frozen? I think these are going to get hit with a torch this coming weekend.

Anybody have any speculations as to what might have happened here? Thrust washers seem to be the most common cause. Also does anyone have any clues as to what I will more than likely need to get her back up to running specs? I know I wont know for sure until I rip her apart, but trying to get a good estimate to give my brother for repairs!:rolleyes:

fastrider450r
01-29-2007, 08:50 AM
my 05 r motor locked up in november, it did the same thing that yours did. I was in a race and it seemed real down on power and i was going along and it just shut off so i let the clutch out and it started up and ran fine for about 5 seconds and then shut off. I tried to kick it right away and it wouldnt move at all. I had my dads friend who is a mechanic tear it down and rebuild it.

im not sure what you mean bye thrust bearing but what happened was that the lower rod bearing flew apart and locked up tighter than hell. you still have to split the cases but you odnt have to replace the crank or anything. all you have to do is split the crank and replace the bearings if thats whats wrong with yours.

I had my motor fully rebuilt, top and bottom end...because it needed it, plus i wanted to put in the new crank bearing mod. And if your not too mechanically inclined i would suggest having a pro. mechanic do it for you...because i couldnt believe how much stuff are in those motors :eek2:

im not sure on the price of what it will all cost, i would have to look at my bill , but with the whole rebuild plus a hotcams stage 2 and new clutch basket it was pretty sour. but good luck with it and post what went wrong..

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 08:56 AM
The thrust washer I believe rests against the crank bearings. When it goes it tears the bearing apart. Im not too sure if this is it, until I pull it apart, but it wouldn't be the first one of ours to have this problem. I plan on doing all of the work myself as of now, I have done this type of stuff before. My buddy just had his motor lock up this past weekend too, this is his third time in a year. First times were from stupidity though. This last time something tore up his crank too, so he needs a new crank as well.

From what I have read so far, the only way to get the updated spacer and the new bearings and seals is to order the whole new crank from honda as you can not get the spacer without it. Its only $193 from service honda. I figure the crank with new stuff, gasket kid, possibly a piston, and I should be good to go.

JessetheKid
01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

After starting the tear down, I am now facing a problem getting the engine out of the frame. The swingarm bolt is frozen up, and will not budge. There is also a bolt through the bottom of the engine that will spin but not come out, I think maybe there is a spacer in between the frame mounts that is frozen? I think these are going to get hit with a torch this coming weekend.

sounds like you need a bigger hammer

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by JessetheKid
sounds like you need a bigger hammer

You have obviously never owned a 400ex and had to take out the swingarm bolt. They seize up to the point where heat/ impact, and 10lb sledge still wont budge it.;)

Im guessing that this 450R bolt is heading in the same direction.

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 04:11 PM
bump... any thoughts?

JW450R1
01-29-2007, 04:22 PM
can u heat up your swing arm with a torch very lightly.maybe try that a few times.heat it up,then let it cool down.then try heating it up.be careful u don't want to over heat it.wow that suck with your motor locking up like that.

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JW450R1
can u heat up your swing arm with a torch very lightly.maybe try that a few times.heat it up,then let it cool down.then try heating it up.be careful u don't want to over heat it.wow that suck with your motor locking up like that.

Is there really anything to damage by overheating it? not that I can tell other than maybe bearings which I will most likely just replace while its apart.

I wasn't even going to really do any major rebuilding this winter cause I was just thinking how good its held together. Now I think Ill do a piston and new crank with the update kit, and possibly a clutch

Punk'd
01-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Might be the rod bearing. Mine exploded and locked up the crank.. Metal shavings everywhere. It was running fine and then I was going pretty slow and it died.. So I thought to myself.. DUMB*** I was going to slow. Went to start it and it ran for about 5 seconds in nuetrual and then shut off again and everything locked up.

Getting fixed as we speak.

As for the swinger bolt. Spray wd-40 everywhere you can and find something (like a long screw driver) and hammer on the screwdriver on the swinger bolt. Thats what I did.. Took a while, but I got it.

For some reason just plan hammering on the bolt would not do the trick. You need something to drive it.

Goodluck

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Might be the rod bearing. Mine exploded and locked up the crank.. Metal shavings everywhere. It was running fine and then I was going pretty slow and it died.. So I thought to myself.. DUMB*** I was going to slow. Went to start it and it ran for about 5 seconds in nuetrual and then shut off again and everything locked up.

Getting fixed as we speak.

As for the swinger bolt. Spray wd-40 everywhere you can and find something (like a long screw driver) and hammer on the screwdriver on the swinger bolt. Thats what I did.. Took a while, but I got it.

For some reason just plan hammering on the bolt would not do the trick. You need something to drive it.

Goodluck

Not the rod bearing, I've already torn it down a little and I have the cylinder off right now, the rod moves around like normal.

I guess Ill give the ol hammer another try on the bolt, I will try and heat it up some too, see if I cant break anything loose in there. I was really wanting to go to mototown this weekend too!:mad:

CDCHONDAS
01-30-2007, 06:19 AM
you might end up having to cut the pivot bolt with a saw zaw or something like that. I was tearing apart an old junker I had for parts once and beat so hard I broke a case :devil:

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
you might end up having to cut the pivot bolt with a saw zaw or something like that. I was tearing apart an old junker I had for parts once and beat so hard I broke a case :devil:

I think cutting it off with the torch is going to be eaiser. It looks like it will be a PITA to get it with a sawzall...I dont even know if it will fit in there

Chino886
01-30-2007, 06:29 AM
I think cutting it off with the torch is going to be eaiser. It looks like it will be a PITA to get it with a sawzall...I dont even know if it will fit in there

You may have already tried this, but shoot some PB Blaster down there and let it soak for a day and then try gently beating it out.

Good Luck!

chad502ex
01-30-2007, 06:34 AM
sorry to hear about this. dangit!:(

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
sorry to hear about this. dangit!:(

Ah chad I was hoping you would stop in here. Did anyone ever figure out the situation with the "new updated" bearing for these? I will buy a whole new crank if I have to, but if I dont need it, then why bother right?

chad502ex
01-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Ah chad I was hoping you would stop in here. Did anyone ever figure out the situation with the "new updated" bearing for these? I will buy a whole new crank if I have to, but if I dont need it, then why bother right?

I will have one within a week in my hand with specs posted on the collar.

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 07:35 AM
I will have one within a week in my hand with specs posted on the collar.

That would be great. I should know by then what parts I will need for this rebuild. So I take it other than you giving us the specs, the only other way to obtain is to purchase a crank from Honda?:rolleyes:

chad502ex
01-30-2007, 07:39 AM
That would be great. I should know by then what parts I will need for this rebuild. So I take it other than you giving us the specs, the only other way to obtain is to purchase a crank from Honda?:rolleyes:

i suppose...

400exrider707
01-30-2007, 07:43 AM
i suppose...

Lame

Also I was wondering... since Im replacing the crank bearings any suggestions on brands? I have always been a fan of using Honda bearings as they seem to last longer, but will the new Honda crank bearings still be a problem, or should I try something else?

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 05:46 AM
^^^^

chad502ex
01-31-2007, 07:02 AM
OEM bearings is what i would use, unless your interested in researching a bearing that spec'd out better. I have not been interested in researching this as I've been hopfully that the new revised OEM crank replaces any design defects.

hope this helps.

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 07:05 AM
OEM bearings is what i would use, unless your interested in researching a bearing that spec'd out better. I have not been interested in researching this as I've been hopfully that the new revised OEM crank replaces any design defects.

hope this helps.

Ok thanks chad,

I will get some pics of the carnage posted up this weekend, and hopefully have the engine out of the frame sometime into the wee hours of friday night/saturday morning.