PDA

View Full Version : tie rod end maybe bad

bhump84
01-28-2007, 05:00 PM
I am in need of some help. My front wheel is loose and its the tie rod that is the place of the problem. When I move my handle bars I have to move them about an inch before my wheel starts turning. The bolt coming out of the tie-rod is loose. Does this sound like I need a new tie-rod end and if so how do I go about finding out what find of tie rods I have. I know my tie rods are a lot thicker than stock. I have leager a-arms but don't know the length set up is. Do I need to replace both tie-rod ends if I replace one even if only one is bad. If anyone thinks they can help and need a pic of exactly where I am talking about just let me know. Any info would be more than helpful.

JOEX
01-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by bhump84
I am in need of some help. My front wheel is loose and its the tie rod that is the place of the problem. When I move my handle bars I have to move them about an inch before my wheel starts turning. The bolt coming out of the tie-rod is loose. Does this sound like I need a new tie-rod end and if so how do I go about finding out what find of tie rods I have. I know my tie rods are a lot thicker than stock. I have leager a-arms but don't know the length set up is. Do I need to replace both tie-rod ends if I replace one even if only one is bad. If anyone thinks they can help and need a pic of exactly where I am talking about just let me know. Any info would be more than helpful.
It's not uncommon for the nuts to come loose on the stock tierods, usually at the steering stem mount. This may or may not apply to an aftermarket set up.

I'd remove the nuts, clean up the threads, apply a thread locker and reinstall the nuts with new cotter pins. If that doesn't fix the play then look into the tie rod ends.

making
01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Happens quite often! replace locknut and cotterpin.

svahle
01-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I agree with the above posts. I can not stress enough how important it is to ensure there is a cotter pin installed. I have bought more than one quad that did not have cotter pins in the tie rod ends (both at the steering stem and the spindle). If there is no cotter pin and the nut comes loose and falls off, the tie rod end can come out of the steering stem or spindle. If this happens you will loose the ability to control the wheel. You can only guess what will happen next.

MAKE SURE THERE IS A COTTER PIN.

I don't mean to sound as though I am preaching to anyone. But this is an important safety matter that is often over looked.

While on the topic, make sure there are cotter pins in the hubs (front and rear). I have seen many of these missing as well. If the castle nut comes off you will likely loose a wheel. Could cause you to crash and also screw up the splines on the spindle or axle.

Just trying to help.