PDA

View Full Version : Denton Rebuild...??

jrm03
01-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I won a stabilizer on eBay, but I missed the part about needing a rebuild. No big deal. I got it for 1/3 of the price of a new one. Is it possible for an average person with mechanical knowledge to rebuild one of the stabilizers? Has anybody rebuilt one that could offer some help?

jrm03
01-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Nobody has rebuilt their stabilizer on their own?

number52
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes, it fairly easy.

jrm03
01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks, that gives me a bit of confidence. Does the rebuild kit come with instructions, or is it fairly straight forward when you disassemble the unit?

number52
01-29-2007, 05:37 PM
They come with instructions usually.

jrm03
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
How do you positively identify if a stick style stabilizer is rebuildable???

gojk
02-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by jrm03
How do you positively identify if a stick style stabilizer is rebuildable???

The rebuildable ones have a retention clip on the end of them.

jrm03
02-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Colby has just mentioned that a rebuildable is silver. What is this retention clip you are talking about? I see a clip on the one I have on the adjusting end, would it be that one?

1fst400
02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
the non rebuildible one that my budie got had a steel body and the clamp mounts where spot welded to it.

I smashed up a stablizer one time. so I took it apart to see how bad it was. They arent overy complicated. its basicly a cylinder with oil in it. and a diskwith holes in it that is atached to a rod. when you move it back and forth the oil flows throu the holes in the disk. when you ajust it, your simply covering up some of the holes.

450r517
02-05-2007, 04:44 AM
I rebuilt mine also, Its no big deal. Actually all you need to do anyway is just change the oil in it. I put 10wgt. fork oil in it first. Rode it a few times and it wasnt really stiff enough. So I went back and added 20 wgt fork oil. That made it a whole lot firmer. You dont have to run it to the stiffest position all the time also. It gives you alot more adjustability in my opinion. Just pop the c-clips off and slip it to the end and fill with oil and make sure to bleed it real good (get all the air out)and you'll be just fine.

MO-EX-RIDER
02-05-2007, 05:42 AM
when they need rebuilt how do they act?? mine feels like there is an air pocket in it and another one just does not get firm/stiff anymore?

450r517
02-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
when they need rebuilt how do they act?? mine feels like there is an air pocket in it and another one just does not get firm/stiff anymore?
Thats a very good sign it needs rebuilding. Especially if you turn it real slow and it feels like it has some real loose then a little tighter feeling.
It doesnt hold alot of oil in it, so it dont take long to wear the oil down. Them jokers take alot of abuse from the side to side. As long as you dont see any oil residue leaking, a oil change will do you good most likely. Just be careful with the seals when you slip them out.

MO-EX-RIDER
02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
is a rebuild kit some what universal?? most of the stick stlye dampers look identical just have a different companys decal on it. i will dig into it and see what i find and when i cant get it back together it will give me an excuse to go to a w.e.r. or precision:devil: :devil: :devil:

450r517
02-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by MO-EX-RIDER
is a rebuild kit some what universal?? most of the stick stlye dampers look identical just have a different companys decal on it. i will dig into it and see what i find and when i cant get it back together it will give me an excuse to go to a w.e.r. or precision:devil: :devil: :devil:

I found out that the gibson and denton are the same rebuild kit. And Im sure the other styles like that are the same kit.

oldskoolex400
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
i love my w.e.r.!!!