PDA

View Full Version : Pappy, got a question for you

MOFO
01-28-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a Chevy Silverado (1999 new body style) with just a tad over 61k on the clock... I dont drive it much unless I need to. I plan on keep this truck for quite awhile as it does everything I need and see no reason to replace it... its been a damn good truck (knock on wood).

My problem is that I am starting to see a good amount of rust on the frame of the truck. Initial inspection shows it just to be a heavy surface rust in the worst parts. I know there are "undercoatings" which is either heavy tar or oil based but its a nightmare to do any maintence and can hold moisture if its not treated every year. I really do not want to go down this road using the "Ziebart" type systems.

Now obviously doing a complete tear down and powdercoating is out of the question... :p but do you have any suggestions on how to approach this? I would like to take action on this before it becomes an issue down the road.

I've looked at a product calle POR 15, which looks pretty good, but figured I would ask the resident "coating expert" before I make the investment in the material.

Thanks!

Pappy
01-28-2007, 11:04 AM
POR15 was basically designed for this! Ive used it but dont really like it.

I geuss if i was faced with this problem, I would look into a few of the rust converting treatments on the market (www.eastwood.com) has one that does work. You aplly it and rinse it and it stops (suspends) the rust. From there you can use other coatings to topcoat the rusted/affected areas. Depending on where the rust is (I assume under the body panels?) you could even use the bedliner type coatings after the rust has been treated.

They can claim a product stops or converts rust, but all of the products I know of can only slow it down, however they dow ork and should provide a long term solution to your problem.

On smaller items, I use Muratic Acid to etch the rusted metal. When dealing with rust the goal is to get ahead of the rust and then seal it. The acid etchs the metal and media blasting cleans it for a coating. I have done some items that were so rusted, the pits were measurable and although the coating showed the pitting, the item was able to be placed back in service for years to come. I wouldnt advise using Muratic or Sulfuric around items that you dont want damaged, but when you can control the part and the application it works extremely well.

MOFO
01-28-2007, 11:11 AM
Actually it appears that my body panels are clean of rust on the underside... its just the frame rails, support beams/brackets, axle and some other small steel parts.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for... a 2 part system that is easy to use. 1 to kill the rust and the other to coat it. I'll look into the link you posted above.

Thanks!

Pappy
01-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Ziebart...man I can remember when that service was all the rage:p I believe they used a non alkaline cleaner then some form of undercoating. I dont think it was worth the money:p There is just nothing available to properly etch the undercarriage that wont harm rubber and seals that I am aware of, especially in the mid 80's when it became all the rage.

MOFO
01-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Ziebart...man I can remember when that service was all the rage:p I believe they used a non alkaline cleaner then some form of undercoating. I dont think it was worth the money:p There is just nothing available to properly etch the undercarriage that wont harm rubber and seals that I am aware of, especially in the mid 80's when it became all the rage.

Growing up I remember when my father took our station wagon to get this undercoating. NEVER AGAIN.

A few months later we crawled under to do some work and it was a nightmare. If the vehicle was warm, you would be covered in oil/tar... if it was cold, you would have to chisel the crap off to get any of your hand tools on the bolts/hardware.

The big downside to this "thick" coating is that it can hold moisture once the bond is gone... counter productive of what it should be doing.

Pappy
01-28-2007, 11:25 AM
LOL> I remember that also:p

I think todays chassis are dipped prior to assembly.

MOFO
01-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
LOL> I remember that also:p

I think todays chassis are dipped prior to assembly.

Yep, mine actually had that coating from the factory. Needless to say, most of it fell off or is in the process of peeling off - leaving me with nice rusty surfaces.

Pappy
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
welcome to the modern era where we dont buy anything that lasts:p