PDA

View Full Version : k&n vs uni

hemi400ex
01-28-2007, 10:56 AM
i have run k&n on all my trucks and work great but i have seen people here say don't go with them whats wrong with k&n and so good about uni ? and does anyone make a dry flow filter like AEM so u don't have to oil it ?

blown331
01-28-2007, 11:00 AM
the k&n alone with open filter is a bad idea.. they sell this new "power lid" that actually has an outerwears type of shield that replaces your airlid box. This keeps most water/mud out of the airbox.

we tested it on my neighbors yfz450 out in the sand and from what i can see the new k&n's seem to be working good. but that makes a total of 2 filters and the outerwears portion.

I would just recommend getting outerwears to protect from mud/water and a UNI if you ride in dusty conditions. Better safe than sorry

hemi400ex
01-28-2007, 11:11 AM
well dust ant a problem i mostly do hard dirt, mud, and grass and i'm keeping the lid on, the bikes stock, besides the 40 pilot jet that i will put in as soon as the temp is above 0 and i can stand out side for longer then the run to my truck, and what about the outerwear for the k&n filter would that help it more

kcliff
01-28-2007, 11:14 AM
i just got the uni filter for my main filtration and the K&N power lid as a secondary/protector as well. I am going to replace my pilot from stock to a 42 to help start and the K&N kit comes wioth a 168 and 170 main I have a thread right now to see what i should go with. I plan on getting a HMF slip on soon. Colby from C&D recommended the uni filter because they are easy to clean and offer good protection and the power lid if I wanted more air intake with good protection from mud. I guess I will remove my snorkel and get a snorkel plug.

hornetgod13
01-28-2007, 12:13 PM
They are the same in my book when it comes to filtration. Although, I have heard several on this website claim that the K&N doesn't filter as well as UNI.
The main reason I got a UNI filter was they are a breeze to clean when compared to a K&N. Less cleaning time equals more riding time.
I run a UNI filter with a EHS racing Lid. I'm getting a ton of filtered air to my moter and show no ill effects.

motochamp250
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
i dont know why everyone says a k&n is so bad....ive had mine forever and i have never had a problem.....as long as you keep them oiled they filter just as good as a foam filter...plus they are easy to clean imo

northwest Texas
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I like the Uni (foams) over the K&N because of it's simplicity to clean. That also means I'm more likely to clean it w hich translates into better maintenance. I like my quad but I don't want to spend more time working on it than riding it.

I had a K&N on a truck and it was an all day affair to clean. by the time I let it dry it took all day and to get the oil in all the pleats, it was just a pain in the ***.

All that being said, I am running a K&N power lid instead of open (filter gets too dirty).

HondaSkidoo
01-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Lets not loose site on why we are changing the filter. Its for better air flow to the engine which translates to more power. I'm not sure how the uni compares to K & N for air flow, (my guess is that the K & N flows better. Anybody with stats would be really helpful) but if they are equal than from what I have read the uni would be the better choice.

If you are just looking for easy to clean and good filtration just stick with stock.

northwest Texas
01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't remember but they're both better than stock and you won't chose one over the other for better flow.

JDMThoughts
01-28-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=216268

Here is what I found in the dyno section. They don't have a Uni, but it shows the clear advantages of other filters. I already contacted Chad about one of his DRG EXR filters but he doesn't have any available. I am gonna keep going with the Uni. I ride it and hardly ever have to clean it. I have cleaned it twice since I put it on a month ago. I usually have to clean it every other ride.

flauge
01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
They are the same in my book when it comes to filtration. Although, I have heard several on this website claim that the K&N doesn't filter as well as UNI.
The main reason I got a UNI filter was they are a breeze to clean when compared to a K&N. Less cleaning time equals more riding time.
I run a UNI filter with a EHS racing Lid. I'm getting a ton of filtered air to my moter and show no ill effects. thats what i got! works for me:D
I thought about a getting a aem filter also hemi400.. Its supposed to filter and flow better than a regular gauze style filter. I wonder if they sell universal ones then we just get it sized to fit......

400exrider707
01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Search this topic, there is oodles of info on the great UNI and K&N debate......

I used to run K&N. Cleaned it after EVERY ride, let dry, oiled. I tried nearly every type of gauze filter oil out there and still no luck...always and I mean always without fail there were trace amounts of dust and dirt in my intake boot. After I rebuilt my motor I went to UNI on everything including my truck (which uses the 450R UNI by the way:D )

No more K&N for me, unless you ride strictly pavement or are looking for that extra tiny little bit of power. In the long run that extra tiny bit wasn't worth my motor to me.

HondaSkidoo
01-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, You guys sold me! I just bought an UNI filter on Ebay for $20.00. I'm assuming I would still use my outerwears? Well there will be a pratically new K & N on ebay soon.:D

HondaSkidoo
02-03-2007, 02:04 PM
My outerwears from my k & N doesn't fit. Are you guys using outerwears on this filter? I have the UNI part number NU-4126ST and can't find an outerwears that fits. Thanks

Tater049
02-05-2007, 03:39 PM
K&N hands down

hornetgod13
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaSkidoo
My outerwears from my k & N doesn't fit. Are you guys using outerwears on this filter? I have the UNI part number NU-4126ST and can't find an outerwears that fits. Thanks

I showed you the website to buy one for your UNI filter 2 days before you posted this. UNI and K&N Outwears are a different size. http://www.primerides.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_184_65_172&products_id=634

I have one. They are a perfect fit for UNI filters. Doesn't look like the picture on the website. It covers the entire foam area of the filter and comes in 7 different colors for $14.49 a piece.

HondaSkidoo
02-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I showed you the website to buy one for your UNI filter 2 days before you posted this. UNI and K&N Outwears are a different size. http://www.primerides.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_184_65_172&products_id=634

I have one. They are a perfect fit for UNI filters. Doesn't look like the picture on the website. It covers the entire foam area of the filter and comes in 7 different colors for $14.49 a piece.

Yes, thanks again. I actually asked the question on this post first and nobody replied so I asked the question separte and you replied quickly. Thanks Again. :D