PDA

View Full Version : Carb Help Please

kcliff
01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Ok I am only asking this because I havent seen it here yet. I bought a Uni air filter and replaced my lid with a K&N Power lid filter/lid. I plan on changing my pilot jet to a 42 and in my K&N kit there are 2 main jets a 168 and 170. I will get a HMF slip on soon hopefully. I am in South Texas at sea level and trail ride mostly. What are yalls recommendations? thanks for any helpful input.

Old Head
01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
I have almost the same mods except my lid is off. Don't know how much the power lid restricts air flow. I use the 170, so maybe start with that and see if she stumbles then back off to the 168.

hornetgod13
01-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Perhaps a 170 Dynojet

I recommend 158 or 160 Keihin.

Check out www.jetsrus.com if you need keihin jets. They're only 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

kcliff
01-28-2007, 03:23 PM
can you tell what brand they are by looking at them? I have no clue what they came with. I will ask Colby. thanks

hornetgod13
01-28-2007, 05:27 PM
If they are Keihin they will have a K after them number. DynoJets are small flat tipped screw look jets.

kcliff
01-28-2007, 06:07 PM
It is a Keihin (sp) It has a crude k stamped. thanks Hornet, I give up I am going to wait and get the HMF and take it to a dealer and have them jet it right. I had trouble with taking a side panel off. The allen head was stripped and I royally screwed it up I notched a slot in it with my cut off tool. I tried using a impact screw driver and a assortment of other methods, and it pissed me off, how much you think someone would charge to jet it right if I had all the parts? That screw will be a problem, I may try a easy out or extractor tomorrow, but I think I give up on the carb thing I want to enjoy riding my quad. I did take the spark plug off and it was black, so that could be my cause of starting problems. I put my battery back on trickle charge and replaced the plug (new) I just want to ride it this weekend. If I sell my boat i will buy the hmf pipe and take it to the dealer and have them deal with the jetting. Maybe the plug wasnt changed after the initial 10hrs service or whatever, it is a 2007 but I am the 3rd owner, new buyer, repoed to another guy, he sold it to me, When I have it running it is great, i just have to get it to start easier. thanks for yalls help

hornetgod13
01-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Sounds like you have your hands full. I would do it yourself. I have no idea how much someone would charge to jet it. I know it wouldn't be worth it. I prefer to do things myself to make sure they are done right.

kcliff
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I like wrenching on things as well, and I hate the idea of paying someone to fix it. I am just getting tired of stupid things happening when I work on stuff like a stripped screw and it was a friggin allen head, well at first anyway :rolleyes: maybe if I can get that screw out with a easy out I may try and get to the carb.... but I WIll call around and see how much they charge to jet....... there are just to many damn variables and I dont want to have to keep cracking the carb open to fix em. clip position, main size, air/fuel screw. I just wish I knew the exact things to use with my set up. thanks for yalls help, I really appreciate it

vze2hnvz
01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Any engine mod's? Also, if your calling the shops anyways, see if any of them have a dyno. IMO thats the best way to get jetting dead on. Plug checks arent that reliable unless you know exactly what your doing (plug chop) and have a hacksaw with 5 or 6 brand new plugs to sacrifice. When trying to zero it in by "seat of the pants", remember its best to go a little rich on the main and work your way down. Also, a 170 dynojet translates to a 190 Keihen Jet....much to rich for your application.

kcliff
01-29-2007, 08:38 AM
no engine mods, i have a uni filter with K&N power lid and I plan on getting a HMF slip on. I am in south texas at sea level. I checked the plug yesterday and it was black, I replaced it and have batt on charge whenI am done with my errands today I will try and run it. I still have to deal with that damn screw. I think I may have to drill it till the screw head comes off and take the panel off then put vise grips on what remains of the screws and pray I dont snap it, the other side came off easy and I noticed before I used the allen wrench the slot looked like a torque head, i think when installing it at the factory they may have stripped it a bit and i finished it off :mad:

hornetgod13
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
That's exactally what I would do. Drill the head off and spin the stem out with vice grips. I stripped one out myself. They are only a couple bucks from www.servicehonda.com or www.bikebandit.com

stvemerz
01-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Do exactly what Hornetgod told you on jetting and other mechanical issues...I'm not to knowledgable with jetting but he helped me so so so much..I was able to tear everything down and wait for the HMF slip on and the jetting and I'm ready to go..Less the Adj. needle which I will order today...He knows what he is doing big time..Take it from me...if you follow his instructions it will be a piece of cake...Do the work yourself...then you know it is done right...Just because you have your dealer work on it...does not mean it will be done right...They are there to get the work done and make a profit...You are doing the work with plenty of time and want it Perfect...Good luck...it is much easier than you think.

kcliff
01-29-2007, 01:26 PM
ok i got that screw out, it came right off with vise grips, when I Drilled the head off. I wish I would have thought of that in the first place oh well I will get new plastics later and I only boogered it up a bit. I will wait till I get the HMF till I try and change the pilot and main, I guess a 158main since i have the uni filter and power lid with HMF slip on? Hornet god I may call you up next week if I can get the pipe, but first I gotta sell my boat, guy says he is coming tomorrow. After the new plug and batt charge it started right up on choke but died when I took it off, and now it wont start/stay running I cant wait till I get this crude taken care of so I can enjoy my quad, why cant things be easy lol

hornetgod13
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Do you have the 42 jet in yet? I would wait until you get the Slip-on installed. Your jetting should be similar to mine. Just let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.