PDA

View Full Version : ArcticCats?

mudslinger1
01-28-2007, 09:22 AM
I tried to ask members in the other section of the form and had no response I would apreciate any views on the Cat's 400 and 500's Autos or manual I am concidering purchasing both for the wife and me and possabilities of 2 90cc's for the kids I would really like to hear from some of you Cat lovers on what to do Thanx Mudslinger:confused:

m.h.s.c.#527
02-16-2007, 05:39 PM
i honestly think there way better quadz

Teufel
02-18-2007, 03:55 PM
I have some friends who love their articcats over the Hondas they owned previously.
I would love to have the prowler

atvknife
03-10-2007, 07:52 AM
We have done everythin to our cat and you can't beat it. maby if you got luck bombardea but they don't come close

quad97
03-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Very durable machines, if you ride slower and put I would get the 500 because it is liquid cooled. 500 is also not as cold blooded. the 90s are pretty good machines and can be sped up substantially by removing the carb stop and clutch stop when the kids get better at riding.

woodsracer144
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
them cats can eat up every thing for lunch.. my bro has 2 cats... ones a 00 500 auto(suzuki motor).. and the others a 06 650(kiwi motor) and that 500 hasnt gave him one prob yet.. my mom and dad are buyin it from 500 him some time... he just got the 650... it beat my blaster in a drag.... they are the best 4X4 i think that you can buy... there have the best ground clearance stock and they are very strong... i think it would be sweet to have a pimped out mudder!

trex250r
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I just bought an 07 400 manual on Saturday and took it out, I love the huge fuel tank. I put 90 km on it and it only dropped one bar on the digital fuel gauge. It cruises nicely in 5th gear around 60-65 km/hr but can go faster. If you want any more info let me know

irondog
08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
My wife and I own 4 cats all 2005, 250, 300, 400, & 500. My wife is a musher and for that reason they are all manual transmissions. If you are into mud and deep water the manual only requires one snorkel to air box. No cvt breather to worry about. We also chose arctic cat for having disk brakes instead of drum. Drum brakes freeze up too easily. The disk brakes will also hold a team of malamutes on any surface except loose gravel.
The two smaller ones are used for training dogs when there is no snow. The 400 and 500 are for play! My stepson owns my first one, another 500. He is a very aggressive rider and has over 3500 miles on his machine. We have had no major problems with any of the machines. We have ridden all the machines hard in Minnesota mud and Mt. Hood Oregon snow parks and many other ORV areas. The electrical system on cats will support high powered lights, and hand warmers.
We did oil changes every season, and used arctic cat synthetic oil. Our worst problem with them has been CV boots. This year we have replaced 3, 2 on one bike.
They always start, never stall, idle well, and take us most places we want to go. Put aggresive tires on them and you are almost unstopable! GET THE ARCTIC CAT
here's a photo of the motor pool
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/1215964915_a2bd15a49d.jpg

Maggie
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I just bought a 250 used and need to get it licensed. I can't find the VIn number. Since some of you have a 250 I'd appreciate any help in finding it's location.

quad97
12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
It should be on the rear part of the frame. It is stamped into the steel tube and is also on a white sticker on the frame.

gemer
04-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by irondog
My wife is a musher and for that reason they are all manual transmissions.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1259/1215964915_a2bd15a49d.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this. The service rep here at local shop told me that utility ATV never come in manual trans!

kdboutel
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by gemer
Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this. The service rep here at local shop told me that utility ATV never come in manual trans!

Your service rep is right, and wrong.

He's right in that there hasn't been a utility ATV with a true manual transmission since the Kawasaki 3 wheelers. In this case I define "manual transmission" as manual clutch and shifting necessary,

He's wrong in that there are actually two automatic transmissions these days. One is of course the CVT machines with transmissions based on the "snowmobile" centrifical clutch. This is a true automatic, no shifting necessary. Here's where it gets sticky...

The "manual transmission" that Suzuki & Arctic Cat used in the 400cc and 500cc utility ATV's is in actuality an automatic-clutched, 5 speed manually-shifted transmission. This last transmission type is what we used to call auto-clutch back before the days of CVT.

Think about machines like the US 90, the Big Red, the Yamahauler and so on. Those machines all had automatic clutches but you still had to shift from gear to gear.

Make sense?

gemer
04-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by kdboutel
Your service rep is right, and wrong.

In this case I define "manual transmission" as manual clutch and shifting necessary,

Thanks for the reply...
I want a true manual clutch! Does anybody make them anymore? I want to able to hold the clutch and shift just as in sports ATVs. For some odd reasons I can't stand automatic trans, clutchless or steptronics. It's just me... :blah:

gipsy
08-27-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by gemer
Thanks for the reply...
I want a true manual clutch! Does anybody make them anymore? I want to able to hold the clutch and shift just as in sports ATVs. For some odd reasons I can't stand automatic trans, clutchless or steptronics. It's just me... :blah:

If you want a quad with lots of testerone, buy a arctic cat. I love the big fuel tank, 220 km on it but fuel gauge is not accurate. Never have problem with my cvt belt. 2000 km on it and carried 9 tons of rocks to built a wall. Have to climb a 23% hill to carry it! I ride four seasons and love to get stuck with my winch (get the 3000 lb.) there is lot of snow here . My cat always start in very colt weather (-20...). But thoses quads are HEAVY.