PDA

View Full Version : '07 TRX450ER Starting and heat issues...help

Glocked2
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I have a brand new 07 Honda 450ER that seems to start very hard here in Vermont winters (0-30degrees). I don't touch the gas at all, just choke it and hit the start button. I have a trickle charger (battery tender) that I leave hooked up so I know that the battery is fully charged. I keep it in a enclosed shed that I heat when I decide to ride with a Mr. Heater on a propane tank. After having the heat on for a half hour to 45 minutes, I still can't get it started and had to tow it behind a vehicle to finally start. I rode for awhile and went to friends house and shut it off. It starts back up then but as I'm sitting there letting it warm up, the pipe is RED HOT in the front and it isn't even warmed up (able to touch throttle w/o hesitation) yet. Is this normal? Can I get it to run cooler w/o causing any more starting issues than I already have? Anyone have any suggestions to fix any of these problems?

I.E Riding during the winter I tend to spin quite a bit so this causes to ride at a high rpm most of the time. Tomorrow I'm gonna get it started again and warm it up and ride it and start doing plug checks to determine if it is lean or not. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Glocked

1fst400
01-27-2007, 08:13 PM
The glowing head pipe is completely normal. They do it the moast when idleing.

The decompresion valve on the 450er's need frequent adjusting, when it is out of adjustment they start hard. It makes it seem like the batery is low.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-27-2007, 08:17 PM
If you didn't rejet after you bought it, then i highly reccomend you do it now.

Glocked2
01-27-2007, 08:23 PM
How do you check the hotstart to see if it is adjusted correctly? I have a shop manual coming but haven't picked it up yet.

Does Honda jet them lean from factory? Rich? If lean, would rejetting it richer let it run cooler?

BTW....Thanks

Glocked

Glocked2
01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
In the above post, I meant the decompression, not the hotstart.

400eXr1d3rZ
01-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure on the decompression but Honda jets them lean from the factory to pass emission, richen it up and it will run better, cooler. I suggest starting with a 150 main, search in the 450r forums for jetting threads.