PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks Balz!!!

krt400ex
01-27-2007, 07:03 PM
its happening. my riding area is getting blocked off, and i have no idea why. 80% of our trails are on the other side of this old rail bridge that we have to cross. well thursday i went riding, and the gas co. that owns these trails we ride(they never cared b4 if ppl rode there) were doin something infront of this bridge. today i went to ride, and there is a big *** gate in front of the bridge(pretty much welded on to it), and now i only have about 20% of the riding that i used to have(which wasn't that much to begin with) it sucks.

so i went looking for a place to cross this river so i could ride, and i didn't find a place shallow enough, but i started thinking i could build a bridge acrossed the river. it is waaaayyy out of the way, and the gas co. would never find it.

anyone know a inexpensive way to build a bridge that would have to be about 60ft long, and be able to hold up to 800lb 4x4's as well as sport quads?

i was thinking railroad ties, but it would be expensive because i would need like 300 or them(at least....more like 360-370), and about 400 spikes to hold it all together. any suggestions?

Ron89
01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. Some A**hole bought like an 8X8 piece of land JUST to fence of the entrance to the trails. I couldn't believe it. Maybe you could find some scrap I-Beams from a building or something and lay boards across two of them.

Ruby Soho
01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
can 4x4's get across it?

krt400ex
01-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
can 4x4's get across it?

yea, the bride has ties on it right now that are like 12x12. it was an old rail bridge from the early 1900's.

Ruby Soho
01-27-2007, 07:13 PM
id go with what ron said, try to find some steel, go to any iron working job site and grab some leftovers, and go from there.

oldskoolex400
01-27-2007, 07:39 PM
get a cutting torch

01-27-2007, 08:04 PM
wait, is it like a big hill or something? like, you go down a hill, cross the water and go up a big hill or what? i'd just have the 4x4's go through and have them tug the sport quads lol

Ralph
01-27-2007, 08:07 PM
talking about the sheraton / sharp / old ford plant???

oldskoolex400
01-27-2007, 08:09 PM
throw some rocks in the river and build a dam in the process ;)

bwamos
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
It would be much much easier and cheaper to build a small ferry. ;)

A little cable and a raft and you'd be set.

TGW_400ex
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Rent s helicopter and get air lifted.

Ralph
01-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, if it is the place im thinking of you can pull into a big grass lot off of 87 north when right after you cross into ny from nj and you wll be on the other side of the ramapo river.

700bRad
01-28-2007, 12:07 AM
How about NOT trespassing? If they put up a gate that probably means they want you out, and to stay out.

Punk'd
01-28-2007, 12:46 AM
So let me get this straight, Your going to build a bridge lol

How about you get 2 loading ramps and put them on each side of the gate and ride up and over them haha

How deep is this river?

Or you can ask the Gas Co why they blocked it off and maybe they will give you a spare key to the gate if your nice?

Ralph
01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Or you can ask the Gas Co why they blocked it off and maybe they will give you a spare key to the gate if your nice?

no, its a liability to them and they don't want him there.

JW450R1
01-28-2007, 05:07 AM
does the river ever FLOOD?

Raptor68
01-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by 700bRad
How about NOT trespassing? If they put up a gate that probably means they want you out, and to stay out.

EXACTLY! People like you that sneak onto other people's property to ride, when they CLEARLY don't want you to, are the downfall of this sport. You are the reason that people hate quads and dirtbikes. It's their property. If you want somewhere to ride, go buy your own piece of land...

killed300ex
01-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Is it really that hard to understand that if someone puts up a gate they are trying to keep people out? No offense but you guys that are thinking about trying to build a bridge or find another way in are the ones that give the sport the bad rap. It only takes a couple bad people to ruin it for everyone. How about maning up and finding a new LEGAL place to ride?
Evan

Punk'd
01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
no, its a liability to them and they don't want him there.

Then ask them if you signed something saying "if you got hurt it is your own fault and you cannot hold the gas co accountable"..etc??

Quad18star
01-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I can't believe there was only a handful of replies that actually made sense ... it's good to know atleast 10% of riders out there aren't trying to give the sport a bad name .

First off , they put up a gate ... so that means they want you out ... not that they want you to become creative , build a bridge or find some other way to get onto the property ... THEY WANT YOU OUT !!!

The gas company DOESN'T WANT YOU on their land because if you get hurt they are responsible .. they are the ones that will have to hire a lawyer , they are the ones that would have to pay out some huge fine and settlement and they are the ones that have to deal with property insurance that is already sky-high .

So if that is too hard to understand , maybe consider taking up a different sport ( like golf) , and help them make a bad name for themselves !!!!:macho

rockman
01-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I can't believe there was only a handful of replies that actually made sense ... it's good to know atleast 10% of riders out there aren't trying to give the sport a bad name .

First off , they put up a gate ... so that means they want you out ... not that they want you to become creative , build a bridge or find some other way to get onto the property ... THEY WANT YOU OUT !!!

The gas company DOESN'T WANT YOU on their land because if you get hurt they are responsible .. they are the ones that will have to hire a lawyer , they are the ones that would have to pay out some huge fine and settlement and they are the ones that have to deal with property insurance that is already sky-high .

So if that is too hard to understand , maybe consider taking up a different sport ( like golf) , and help them make a bad name for themselves !!!!:macho

Very well put!

firefighterjosh
01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex

anyone know a inexpensive way to build a bridge that would have to be about 60ft long, and be able to hold up to 800lb 4x4's as well as sport quads?

i was thinking railroad ties, but it would be expensive because i would need like 300 or them(at least....more like 360-370), and about 400 spikes to hold it all together. any suggestions?

And you wonder why they shut down riding areas:rolleyes:

Villageidiott23
01-29-2007, 06:43 AM
shows how much you know. they arent shutting down riding areas because of atvs. they shut them down for development, I.E. buildings, warehouses, housing. no f ing ****. my riding area was shut down because the land was developed for housing. not because me and my friends went riding on it. trust me the gas company does not give two ****s about atvs riding on the land. im guessing in a year or two the land hes talking about is goin to built up so much u wouldnt even recognize it. this country is over populating so fast there wont be many natural riding areas left. the only way anyone really cares about atv riding on land is personal property owners who dont want the noise and the ground being tore up. fyi. dont waste time telling people how stupid they are. your comments arent gonna make a difference. if thats all the land hes got to ride on then hes gonna ride on it. and its also pretty stupid to tell a 15 16 or 18 year old if you wanna ride go buy your own land. riiiiiiight. jackass.

chris46250r
01-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
shows how much you know. they arent shutting down riding areas because of atvs. they shut them down for development, I.E. buildings, warehouses, housing. no f ing ****. my riding area was shut down because the land was developed for housing. not because me and my friends went riding on it. trust me the gas company does not give two ****s about atvs riding on the land. im guessing in a year or two the land hes talking about is goin to built up so much u wouldnt even recognize it. this country is over populating so fast there wont be many natural riding areas left. the only way anyone really cares about atv riding on land is personal property owners who dont want the noise and the ground being tore up. fyi. dont waste time telling people how stupid they are. your comments arent gonna make a difference. if thats all the land hes got to ride on then hes gonna ride on it. and its also pretty stupid to tell a 15 16 or 18 year old if you wanna ride go buy your own land. riiiiiiight. jackass.

Dude' your user name says it all!!!

Villageidiott23
01-29-2007, 06:54 AM
wow, thats the best thing you could comment on. why not try discussing whats on this thread instead of peoples user names.

chris46250r
01-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
wow, thats the best thing you could comment on. why not try discussing whats on this thread instead of peoples user names.

Alright I'll put it like this then, you are idiot for the post I quoted you on. Just because "your" riding area got shut down for building houses doesnt mean thats why all areas are being shut down.So if all the land you had to ride on was the courthouse lawn thats where you would ride? Right jackass

mxdad
01-29-2007, 07:04 AM
It sounds like it is time to find a new place to ride.

chris46250r
01-29-2007, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by mxdad
It sounds like it is time to find a new place to ride.

Exactly

JW450R1
01-29-2007, 07:10 AM
sounds like a nerve was hit.
land is being taken from the atver's.that sucks.NJ needs more atv parks to keep children away from drugs and more.then there will not be atv issues.

idro
01-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Fact of the matter octane junkies are a dieing breed.

Hardly any places to ride and hardly any places to race.

I have a 11 sec. streetable mustang downstairs that has only made about 20 passes because there is only 1 local 1/4 track and it sucks terribly.

Blue250X
01-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Wow, I'm glad I live where I do. You can ride fourwheeler trails and strip jobs all day long here and camp out and ride the next day. I can get to most of my freinds houses just by taking trails. Oh, and to stay on topic...stay off the land.

dan harris
01-29-2007, 07:41 AM
wow, what a sticky issue. I'm sure most of us have ridden where we weren't suppose to, at least once?!

To the kids on the site, obviously you can't go out and buy your own land to ride, and I understand that not riding is not an option. But there are more constructive ways to find places to ride.

If you have the vision, resources and persistance to build a 60' long bridge across a stream to access land that your not even suppose to be on, then you should be able to come up with other ways/places to ride. Even if your not old enough to drive a vehicle to get you to the nearest legal riding spot. You and your riding friends could form a small club, put your money together and buy a trailer. Your dads could alternate pulling the trailer and taking your group to different riding spots. I know its not the same as riding right out your back door, but you will find some great locations and meet some great people. As a group or club you and your friends might be able to put a plan together to use some local land for riding, provided you agree to police the area and make sure its not being trashed and make sure everyone signs a liability waiver.

Hopefully you can understand that trespassing will only make it harder to find legal places to ride. Good Luck and have fun.
To

chris46250r
01-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Try this, talk with someone from the gas company and ask whats going on. Keep in mind that its thier land and they can do what they want so dont argue or be an *** with them. Find out why the gate was put up,could be as simple as the bridge was not safe for vehicles anymore. You may still be able to ride there but find out for sure before you go building bridges and barges to get across. It would be sad if all along you could ride there until they found your bridges and then that be the reason to not get to ride there anymore.

Raptor68
01-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I just don't think it's right to ride on someone else's land without permission to do so. You don't know their intentions for the land. Plus, they can hold you liable for any damage you cause while riding. Have you at least asked them permission?? Of course not because you think you are entitled to ride there...

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 09:16 AM
i did get permission from them a couple of months ago.

the place i am talking about is in sussex NJ right be hind the yamy shop which is acrossed the road from the A&P.

there are a couple of places where the water is only like 12-18 inches deep, but the thing is that to get into the rive there is a death defying ledge to jump off of, and then there is no way to get out of the river because you can't ride back up the ledge on either side.

i think that they are shutting it down because of land owners complaining about noise(almost everyones pipes here read at 120 dec.:p ) because we are still able to ride on the other side of the bridge.

i don't know if anyone knows where i am talking about, but if you go down past the sussex airport, and to the intersection by the citgo station and make a left. after going about 1/4 mile there is the road crossing for the trail, and they haven't closed that up. they only closed down a stretch that is about 1.5 miles. and most of the ppl that live near the trails live on that stretch so that is why i think they closed it down from complaints.

it sucks, and if anyone has suggestions about legal places to ride then let me know, but right now this is the only legal place to ride that i know of

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Dude' your user name says it all!!!

if you knew anything, then you would know that that is pastranas nickname. i am gussing he is a fan of pastrana

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by dan harris
wow, what a sticky issue. I'm sure most of us have ridden where we weren't suppose to, at least once?!

To the kids on the site, obviously you can't go out and buy your own land to ride, and I understand that not riding is not an option. But there are more constructive ways to find places to ride.

If you have the vision, resources and persistance to build a 60' long bridge across a stream to access land that your not even suppose to be on, then you should be able to come up with other ways/places to ride. Even if your not old enough to drive a vehicle to get you to the nearest legal riding spot. You and your riding friends could form a small club, put your money together and buy a trailer. Your dads could alternate pulling the trailer and taking your group to different riding spots. I know its not the same as riding right out your back door, but you will find some great locations and meet some great people. As a group or club you and your friends might be able to put a plan together to use some local land for riding, provided you agree to police the area and make sure its not being trashed and make sure everyone signs a liability waiver.

Hopefully you can understand that trespassing will only make it harder to find legal places to ride. Good Luck and have fun.
To

this makes me laugh because that is the exact reason that i have never been to a riding park, my dad is too lazy to take his @$$ off the couch and bring me to ride. i asked more times than i could count if he would take me to a riding area..he said no every time, and then i would ask him if my uncle and i could go and he said no because one of my parents wouldn't be there.

and this place isn't right out my back door, it is a 5 minute ride by car, but he doens't mind that because he can go right back home and watch the game

chris46250r
01-29-2007, 10:35 AM
if you knew anything, then you would know that that is pastranas nickname. i am gussing he is a fan of pastrana

If you knew anything then you would know that I could care less if it was your mothers maiden name. I was just comparing his idoit post to his user name.

Fornax_Clothing
01-29-2007, 10:48 AM
jesus and i got banned once cus i called someone "dick".

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
If you knew anything then you would know that I could care less if it was your mothers maiden name. I was just comparing his idoit post to his user name.

i honestly don't think it was an idiot post, because that is happening by me too...alot.

they just built about 30 $750,000 homes, and noone in sussex can afford them:rolleyes:

he is very right with what he said, and on top of that ppl have been riding on the railroad beds for 30+ yrs, and noone hase ever bothered them...but now it is getting limited..and soon it will be closed down

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Fornax_Clothing
jesus and i got banned once cus i called someone "dick".

your kidding right?

i called some one a F**K ff once, and i didn't even get warning

01-29-2007, 11:09 AM
[Banyone know a inexpensive way to build a bridge that would have to be about 60ft long, and be able to hold up to 800lb 4x4's as well as sport quads?

[/B]

LOL

http://www.usace.army.mil/

Lemme know how that works out fer ya.

:D

Villageidiott23
01-29-2007, 01:17 PM
pay attention, i wasnt saying all riding areas are being lost to housing developement. i also said buildings warehouses etc. it was just my personal experience. im not telling him to do anything illegal i never said that. but i am explaining how i understand his opinion. we live on the east coast which is overpopulating itself everyday, businesses opening up, baby boomers and sum dont like our sport. now if i lived out west more it might not be a problem so much. move our way alittle more and see how hard it is to find a place to ride. especially as a kid. which i am not. its not a getup and go thing. so b4 you take cheap shots at me for UNDERSTANDING some one think about being in someone elses shoes. im not here for a pissing match. and by cheap shot i was referring to the user name comment. come on man.

wishmasstir
01-29-2007, 01:38 PM
this makes me laugh because that is the exact reason that i have never been to a riding park, my dad is too lazy to take his @$$ off the couch and bring me to ride. i asked more times than i could count if he would take me to a riding area..he said no every time, and then i would ask him if my uncle and i could go and he said no because one of my parents wouldn't be there.

and this place isn't right out my back door, it is a 5 minute ride by car, but he doens't mind that because he can go right back home and watch the game

i'm not sure of your age or anything but if you need to rely on your dad to haul you somewhere and he won't, maybe you should try to get him into the sport so whenever you ask him to ride he wont mind driving you BOTH to a legal riding place. theres nothing wrong with some father son bonding. aside from that, save up for a trailor/truck to haul yourself somewhere ELSE to ride.

krt400ex
01-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by wishmasstir
i'm not sure of your age or anything but if you need to rely on your dad to haul you somewhere and he won't, maybe you should try to get him into the sport so whenever you ask him to ride he wont mind driving you BOTH to a legal riding place. theres nothing wrong with some father son bonding. aside from that, save up for a trailor/truck to haul yourself somewhere ELSE to ride.

im 16, he is in the sport, he owns my 300ex. he doesn't enjoy it so much. im getting a dirtbike because i want one, but i am also hoping that he will ride with me if i let him ride the bike because he says he likes them better. he also says that he wants to take a trip to paragon sometime or another place like it, but he has yet to even attempt to get any info on a place like that. i have given him info and it just sits on the counter for wks.

i will be getting my liscense in about 8 months, and after that i will be in riding parks all the time...but right now i only have one place to ride

firefighterjosh
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Sucks you lost a riding. Suck it up try to find some new spots and deal with it. We have all delt with it it sucks but no reason to tresspass. I ust to be able to go riding all the time whenever, wherever. Then some morons started tresspassing and all of a sudden all ATVers were bad ppl. So I was kicked off prperty as well.