PDA

View Full Version : mustang tranny's(car guys come here)

ZSNOW
01-27-2007, 07:03 PM
ok my cousin has a tremec 5 speed mustang tranny i have a drag set up c-4 tranny...is it worth the trade?

Vindex Injuriae
01-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd keep the auto myself....
Putting a manual in an auto car is a PITA too -

ZSNOW
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
well in a mustang the clutch bracket is the same as a brake bracket so switching over is not a problem plus all stangs in 68 70 for shift on the floor so no problem there either

blasterfreak99
01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
i would keep the automatic also. they are quicker shifting and off the line.however if you drive on the street a lot and don't race a lot then i would go for the tremec becuase they are more fun to drive and get better gas mileage.:p

Pappy
01-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by blasterfreak99
i would keep the automatic also. they are quicker shifting and off the line.

you obviously havent ever been in a mustang leaving the line at 5500, pulling second at the 60 foot mark and finishing out a 10 second run:o

I am a stick man, save the auto tranny for the girls:devil:

ZSNOW
01-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you obviously havent ever been in a mustang leaving the line at 5500, pulling second at the 60 foot mark and finishing out a 10 second run:o

thats wat i was thinking:D but i dunno my stang is a 68 fast back 351 and his is a 72 coupe and we always talk about trading trannys around...but anyways what does everyone think..i will be doing some racing mostly street driving

eastside 400
01-27-2007, 09:53 PM
whats a drag set up?? what converter, what valve body, ratchet shifter? and what kind of tremec 5 speed does he have? and what clutch, id rather keep the auto, if your racing, auto is the way to go if its set up right

ZSNOW
01-28-2007, 06:50 AM
this is a c-4 with a oldddd shift kit in it that hits so hard goin in to second it squeels the tires:D other then that its stock...

ok now to the tremec its got a upgraded clutch in it(i forget what kind)it was rebuilt 7k ago...it was out of a 94 stang so its the heavy duty one um its got a hurst shifter...and other then that stock.

ok heres the deal i want a 5 speed he wants a auto so we wanna trade.niether of the trannys are built for draging yet because it would be to much if u wanted to take the tranny out and trade

so pretty much its stock tremec t-5 for a 1968 c-4

blasterfreak99
01-28-2007, 11:12 AM

well what i was saying was that there can be human error with a stick but with an auto the there can only be mechanical error. i wasn't saying that a stick is useless for dragging but i think an auto that is setup right will do better.

Pappy
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I was one of the test drivers for the now popular C4 conversion kits for the 5.0 Mustang. I was never so happy to get the stick back in my car.

Even equipped with a trans brake and delay box, I could consitantly cut .5000 bulbs with my clutch and won far more races then with the automatic. Running a stick and knowing how to drive it is an art in drag racing, one I honed to fill my home with trophys:p Not everyone has the ability to run a stick, but IMO its the only way:p

And as far as mechanical error, I have seen far more auto equipped drag cars have issues on the line then stick cars. Driver error is present in any form of racing, but I prefer to have issues that I can control with expeirence over depending on the automatic transmission.

blasterfreak99
01-28-2007, 11:42 AM
yeah i guess you are right about the error thing. you winning more races with a stick would have to do with it being easier to turn over, right?

Pappy
01-28-2007, 02:04 PM
no, its because i kicked *** behind the wheel:p

the T5 tranny in the fox body was junk, but served me well. Ive gone through many of them, tremecs also, and when I sold the car I think it had a Z model of the T5 in it. 3rd gear loved to self destruct in them:devil:

Quad18star
01-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Pappy , how come you got out of drag racing ??? As soon as I have a few extra dollars , I'm getting back into it .. it was soooo much fun !!!!

Oh and I've seen quite a few manual tranny cars at the track ... most all were in the rear view mirror of our automatic equiped drag car !!!!:devil: :blah:

Pappy
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
It got to be to expensive like most hobbies. I was starting a family and had to grow up:p

ZSNOW
01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
ok heres the deal i went down today and picked up the t-5 and gave him the c-4...

i put the t 5 partially in my stang but ran out of time...he put the c-4 in his(he had and extra 2 hours since i had to go all the way to mass to pick up the tranny)

he said the thing is awsome for a c-4 and when im all done we're gonna drag race down the private dirt road by my house:D we'll see...

Quad18star
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
It got to be to expensive like most hobbies. I was starting a family and had to grow up:p

Ahhh ...... you do know that the growing up part is just a suggestion and is optional , right?

I agree on the expensive part . We used to set aside atleast $800 for one weekend of racing for the local races . If we had to travel far enough ( 7+hrs) , $1000 - $1200 per weekend plus a Friday off of work for practice/test and tune day. :ermm:

ZSNOW
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
quading is expensive too but that doesn't stop us:D haha and im not planning on growing up till the gf goes from 110 to 196 if u know what i mean and her stomach is bigger then my truck tires:D

blasterfreak99
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ZSNOW
quading is expensive too but that doesn't stop us:D haha and im not planning on growing up till the gf goes from 110 to 196 if u know what i mean and her stomach is bigger then my truck tires:D ...and her t!ts hang to her knees:D

Scott-300ex
01-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Pappy, I'm with you, Sticks are the best.

Sticks are faster, me and my buddy put a stick in his fox body, from an auto to a stick it is a lot faster.

Yeh we gotta let off to shift, BUT, every time we aren't shifting we are pulling away, direct Engine-Wheels, no Converter.

And for me I can drift easy with a stick, and I'm always drifting, haha!

You gotta be good with a stick for everything, strip and drifting, but when you are its Awsome!

y3llow400ex
01-28-2007, 09:46 PM
i hate auto but keep your c4. it is alot stronger then t-5's

06YFZ450SE
01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
If you want to go fast keep the Auto.

Scott-300ex
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
You ask me you want to go fast keep the stick!

I've done a auto to stick in my buddies car and the power is much greater with a stick, not to mention you can control it and get it to do exactly wut you want to do.