PDA

View Full Version : Installing Circlip That Holds the Brake Caliper Carrier Without A Special Tool!

395Rider
01-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Running out of ideas I decided to jump onto ExRiders.com to look for answers, but I had a moment of genius!

It took my brother in law and me to install the circlip on a couple of bike without the use of some special tool. I am currently installing a Swing Arm on my 86 TRX 250R by myself in preparation for a race tomorrow at RaceTown395. The damn Circlip kept popping out as I tried to keep it in its groove.

I finally got smart and placed the beginning portion of the clip in the groove. The sledge hammer I was using to beat the crap out of the Pivot Bolt came in handy. I placed it next to the inserted portion and began sliding it around against the Brake Caliper Carrier until the Clip would not continue its path. I held the sledge in place as I hit the other end of the clip to make it rotate around and between the sledge and the Brake Caliper Carrier, and walla! The ******* finally went into its home!

Pappy
01-27-2007, 05:00 PM
needle nose pliers work with no hammering:p

395Rider
01-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Not on 86's!

Pappy
01-27-2007, 05:20 PM
lol, i must have a magical 86 and a magical set of needle nose:blah: infact they work better then the snap on snap ring pliers i have:p

395Rider
01-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Ha Ha

Pappy
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
trust me, ive had my battles with them. im not sure where one came from (snap ring) or what happened to it, but NONE of the snap ring pliers we had here (full snap on set) would fit:ermm: I had blood red fingers for a week dickin with that thing. now i keep a few here just incase cuz i dont like blood blisters from pinching my damn fingers:grr:

395Rider
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I feel your pain! Hey, being that you are so knowledgeable, where the heck is my Pivot Bolt? I kinda need it to hold the bike together!

Pappy
01-27-2007, 05:35 PM
missing bolts are usually underneath the darkest dirtiest spot under the least accessible workbench:ermm:

400exrider707
02-07-2007, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
missing bolts are usually underneath the darkest dirtiest spot under the least accessible workbench:ermm:

Or your holding it in your hand, after you've spent the last half an hour looking for it:rolleyes: been there done that

I just use snap ring pliers for these circlips. Maybe you didn't use the right size of snap ring pliers?? I've never really had any major problems with them, although I would probably use needle nose before I used a sledge:eek2:

firefighterjosh
02-08-2007, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by 395Rider
Yeah, I feel your pain! Hey, being that you are so knowledgeable, where the heck is my Pivot Bolt? I kinda need it to hold the bike together!

Did you get mad and throw your quad:eek2: :macho