PDA

View Full Version : help 250r bottom end motor rebuild

boutin
01-27-2007, 03:05 PM
im one of those idiots that didnt ride with a chain guard ( bought it with no chain guard didnt know it needed one) and crack the left case so i guess its time for a complete rebuild. I have a 87 250r any advice on how to tear down the bottom end of the motor im having some trouble tryin to get things loose when everything is turning. Is there any aftermarket parts you would put in instead of the old stock stuff thats in it already?

carl250r
01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
i just got done doing this to mine. the same thing happend to me.

as far as spliting the case. get a manual and a honda 250r flywheel puller off ebay. about 15 bucks each.

compleat seal kit, gasket kit, piston rings.

get a aftermarket hardended clutch basket and new clutch disk's maybe a 89 clutch upgrade but thats not necisary just nice.

atvmxr
01-29-2007, 01:55 PM
for the most part things just unbolt and you keep whittling your way down to a big pile of parts. Organization is key to remember what bolt went where on the rebuild. Its good to use a whole bunch of jars or cups to keep certain stages of fasterners together. make sure to get the Honda manual and not a knock off clymer or etc. the honda has fantastic details. The tricks will be to use a penny to break the crank gear bolt loose, and clamping a few clutch plates together to hold the basket still while removing the clutch hub nut. the spring assembly for the shifter pawl can be a major PITA, havent figured out a trick for that yet, just patience. When you do have everything stripped down to just the two case halves, double check to make sure you have removed ALL the bolts holding the case haves together, then put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 30- hour. That should make the the two case halfs come apart much easier. when pulling the cases apart, turn the motor on its side and have the sprocket/flywheel side down and pull the other case up to leave the two tranny shafts (and basically the entire tranny) in place in the "left" (sprocket/flywheel) side case. Then carefully pull the tranny shafts out as an assembly.