PDA

View Full Version : Parts job? Opinions.

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 12:22 PM
I got offered a parts job from a local motorcycle shop. It is a full-time job, and i would like to know someone's opinion that has worked in the field... Obviously it is just a temporary thing (i dont want to just "get by" my whole life. However, i got laid off a few months ago, and i think a motorcycle related job would be awesome...

My question is - what will my wage be ? (approx obviously)

I can be a host at olive garden and make 8/hr LOL :eek2:

cop292
01-27-2007, 01:22 PM
I would take it! I worked in parts and service when I was younger. Like you said it is temporary. Plus you probably will get your parts at cost or cost plus 10%. Not to mention you will make connections in the industry and if you need service you will get a hook up on that too. A job at a dealership can lead to other jobs in the industry. I know people from local dealerships that now are reps for Kawasaki, Moose, KTM, and Oakley, just to name a few. Good Luck!!

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 01:26 PM
well i got it because of sportbike stuff (im a stuntrider) and everyone in town knows me (my town is pretty big as well) but i could pretty much talk on a person to person level with EVERY customer that owned a streetbike... Not to toot my own horn or anything, but the guys doin wheelies and such are always "popular" - well i decided to cease with the wheelies and actually start a decent career...

my bills are $750 a month (everything but food and gas)
do you think this job will cover it?

thanks for chippin in - i appreciate it.

HB416EX
01-27-2007, 01:29 PM
You should make atleast 8.50 an hour times 8 hours=68 dollars a day minus taxes thats about 60 times 5 days=300 a week times 4 weeks equals 1200.

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
thanks HB - lol math isnt my downfall. I was more wondering on overtime hours, ect. I can do the math!

The shop is closed on sundays and mondays - (therefore meaning i would need at least an 8 hour day everyday) but some of those days the shop is open from like 11-4 which isnt an 8 hour day... (thats why i was asking opinions), because it is more of an "enjoyable" job for me, but i dont want to have $100 to my name all the time...

btw - i wasnt flaming HB416 - i appreciate the help.

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 01:39 PM
also to add - i dont need help on parts ( i can still get them cheaper... im 100% sure ) :D I am 20 years old, and i want a pretty stable - decently profitable (able to go out and have fun one day a week) occupation.

Also - how are sales positions inside the shops? (the owner seemed like he might want me to jump into sales - "part time" and see how i do at it come spring)

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Top... Thanks again guys :p

underpowered
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
well i work at a small shop. wage is not that great, only $7 an hour but we are a pretty small parts/accessories only shop. I love the job jsut cause i get to work with what i love. i do get tired of customers who want us to match rocky mountain's price, people who think they know what they are talking about but are really clueless, and there there are just those customers that get on your nerves. overall i love the job and if it payed more i would do it full time. i love being able to work with something i am actually considered knowledgeble about. but hte best job perk, a ticket to the Indy dealer show every year with my name on it. that is one of teh best parts of working in the industry, is getting to go to the show.

hardkoratvmxr
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
whats your name? i live in evansville also if you are talking about evansville indiana. which shop are you talkin about also.

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Casey Rickard - Westside Honda.....

i ride a black f4i, if you know anyone with a streetbike, ask about our shinanagins. (didnt realize there was other peeps on this board from Eville):eek2: Small world

outacontrol
01-27-2007, 04:52 PM
I work in sales at a large premier honda /suzuki/polaris dealer in pa, The parts guys there make quite a bit if you get paid with commission. As far as sales, it all depends on how big your dealer is, and how much turnover you can do. I love the job except for this time of year when sales are down. Im hoping this leads me to a rep job or something higher up in the industry.

hardkoratvmxr
01-27-2007, 05:13 PM
yea casey i used to be at west side honda like every day they were open but then i grew up. if i were you i would at least try the job. I am sure you can make a decent living but not something that will make you rich or anything. plus you could give me a discount or help me get a job there. My name is charlie seyffarth and glad to see another person from evansville found the site.

30liveStar
01-27-2007, 05:27 PM
ive been here for ALONG time on another name (that i forgot LOL) but yah bub - come down and lemme know whatcha need, ill do what i can do to hook you up :huh (ill prolly get fired my first week for this, but i wouldnt have it any other way...)

if i got paid commision - id make a TON of $$$$...(especially during summer) i didnt even think about that...

Once again thanks guys.

Quad18star
01-27-2007, 06:43 PM
I worked parts part time during high school ... then I moved onto parts full time during college ... at the end I was full time management and it was pretty awesome . The company I worked for paid us very well , we had full benefits , RRSP contributions , and other perks .

I got to meet a lot of people in the industry ... especially a lot of upper management guys . I could make 3 phone calls tomorrow morning and have 3 jobs in the afternoon . I also have a whole list of upper management guys at very well respected companies that i can use as phone references , as well as many reference letters from the same guys if I decide to pursue a different career path ( which I'm planning on doing) .

400exrider707
01-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by HB416EX
You should make atleast 8.50 an hour times 8 hours=68 dollars a day minus taxes thats about 60 times 5 days=300 a week times 4 weeks equals 1200.

Where do you work where you only have $8 taken out of 68?? Keep dreaming.

At my last job (horrible!) I made $8.78 an hour. For an 8 hour day I would get 70.24 before taxes.

Take home = about $55.

The more you make, the more they take too. Im currently in a much higher paying bracket, and they take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of my paycheck every week.:mad:

hardkoratvmxr
01-28-2007, 12:33 PM
yea casey i will be racing almost full time this year and will be there prolly a bunch. ill have to be like dude whats up this is the kid from atvriders lol.

rockman
01-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Where do you work where you only have $8 taken out of 68?? Keep dreaming.

At my last job (horrible!) I made $8.78 an hour. For an 8 hour day I would get 70.24 before taxes.

Take home = about $55.

The more you make, the more they take too. Im currently in a much higher paying bracket, and they take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/3 of my paycheck every week.:mad:

It all depends on your tax info. If you are a single unmarried guy that sounds about right. But if your married with 2 kids and own your own home you pay like 1/4 of what a single unmarried guy makes. Crazy