PDA

View Full Version : need help with repairs

speedphreake
01-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Last weekend my chain broke on my 01 400ex and got wedged between the case and sprocket and damaged most of the splines on the trans shaft. Also someone welded the shifter on, which broke off when I started to take the motor out. I've got the parts coming to fix this, but have never worked on one of these.

Anyone around the San Antonio,TX area that might be willing to help me out with this? I've only been able to ride for about an hour since buying this bike. I want to make sure it goes back together right and anything else that should be addressed is fixed. I'll buy the beer and pizza for anyone willing to help. :D

Old Head
01-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Hmm beer and pizza, wish i lived closer:)

speedphreake
01-28-2007, 04:21 PM
No one any where near San Antonio? I just want to ride this thing and make sure it goes together right the first time...:D

04exking
01-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Don't live close enough but if you need any pics or tips just ask.

speedphreake
01-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Are there any tricks to these? Things to watch out for or special tips? What about tools, anything special required? I'm going to try and have everything I need before hand when I tear into this thursday or friday after work. thanks...

idro
01-29-2007, 07:16 AM
never worked on my atv's internals, but i've taken the topend of my mustang off lots of times with just a craftsman wrench/socket kit with a few trips here in between to autozone, so im sure just your basic tool set will do.

vett_09
01-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by speedphreake
Are there any tricks to these? Things to watch out for or special tips? What about tools, anything special required? I'm going to try and have everything I need before hand when I tear into this thursday or friday after work. thanks...

Exactly what parts did you buy? That'll give us a better idea of what tools you may need.

speedphreake
01-29-2007, 08:27 AM
The output shaft for the trans, the chain wedged between the case and sprocket and most of the splines were damaged. Also the shaft for the shifter, someone welded the shifter on because of the splines also being damaged. I may replace the cam chain while I'm in there for peace of mind.