PDA

View Full Version : how to get the most out of my 400

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 02:01 AM
how do i get the most bottom end out of my 06 400ex... right now it is bone stock but i have a K&N air filter kit , jet kit and FMF slip on exhaust coming by monday... and a yoshimura cherry bomb should be here with in a week.
ive ridden my buddies raptor and wow the front end comes up in 1 through till 4 no problem just by giving it gas.... and all that he has done to it is new jetting.

i want my 400ex to have more torque through out all the gears. top speed isn't an issue becuse i can smoke the raptor on the trails. i just would like more torque to pull wheelies with ease and so when some one get on it to ride it doesn't feel weak.....
right now it feels realy weak to me. any advice?

Old Head
01-27-2007, 04:48 AM
The 400 is a wheelie machine. There should be no reason you can't wheelie through at least the 1st 3 gears. The mods you have on the way will help the motor a good bit. As for the cherrybomb isn't that for the ltr 450 or is that what yosh calls their cdi for the ex?

81 clark racing
01-27-2007, 05:09 AM
ya im questioning the cherry bomb also. i thought that was for the ltr

j450rking
01-27-2007, 05:31 AM
if you relly want to wheely alot and you only ride trails then i would go with a 13tooth fron sprocket

hornetgod13
01-27-2007, 06:36 AM
J450rking is right. If you drop your front sprocket to a 13 tooth you have the low end torque and even more wheelie power but, it will kill your top speed. What's more important to you?
Your 06' has a 14 tooth front sprocket from the factory.

2004exrider
01-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Since you already have an intake and exhaust and they already mentioned a new front sprocket, the next thing for a great improvement on bottom end is a stage 1 Hotcam. You can feel the difference after its installed. The next thing you can do is advance the timing on it, Curtis Sparks sells a 6 degree timing key i believe for around $20.

Jimmy

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
The 400 is a wheelie machine. There should be no reason you can't wheelie through at least the 1st 3 gears. The mods you have on the way will help the motor a good bit. As for the cherrybomb isn't that for the ltr 450 or is that what yosh calls their cdi for the ex?

really... i was told the cherry bomb would work with my quad.... i belive all it is a cdi....... no mater it only cost me $15 can. and i get a hat.
as for wheelies 1st gear no sweat... but it feels realy week in the bottom end torque to me....... i don't want to kill my top end speed that much just over all i want to get the best preformance out of my machine. im new to sport quads so maybe im just not doing somthing right.... to get it to wheelie.....

Old Head
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I usually start out wheelie's in 1st or 2nd then **** gears in the air. It will come up in third without much trouble. Wheelies are fun but if your quad wants to come up on its own all the time then it gets to be a pain to ride when you just wanna getty up and go which is 90% of your riding.

JDMThoughts
01-27-2007, 02:55 PM
The advance timing key and proper jetting will get you up a lot. If you need more low-end then I suggest going with a stage 1 cam for more low to mid. Going down a tooth on the front will definitely make the gears wanna go up so much faster in the gears. Remember your riding a 400, so there is a difference then your buddies 660 or 700, whichever model he has. The 400EX has the biggest balance point of any quads. Many people say it's the easiest to do wheelies on. If you still need more arm tearing torque, there is numerous bore kits to take to you 406, 416,426,440,460,481. Maybe a high compression piston would be good since the 400 has a very low compression ratio. If you do decide to go with higher compression, then you must remove the advanced timing key should you install one. You will destroy a motor with high compression and the timing key.

oldskoolex400
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
lol a cherry bomb in a 400ex ahahahaahaha :D i hope you are joking

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JDMThoughts
The advance timing key and proper jetting will get you up a lot. If you need more low-end then I suggest going with a stage 1 cam for more low to mid. Going down a tooth on the front will definitely make the gears wanna go up so much faster in the gears. Remember your riding a 400, so there is a difference then your buddies 660 or 700, whichever model he has. The 400EX has the biggest balance point of any quads. Many people say it's the easiest to do wheelies on. If you still need more arm tearing torque, there is numerous bore kits to take to you 406, 416,426,440,460,481. Maybe a high compression piston would be good since the 400 has a very low compression ratio. If you do decide to go with higher compression, then you must remove the advanced timing key should you install one. You will destroy a motor with high compression and the timing key.

i realise it is only a 400 .... my buddie has the 660.... but i am honestly have trouble geting my front end up after 2nd. in first gear it just snaps right up and second i hafta get right back a realy gun it to get it up..... it feels way weak. and my air fule mixture is way to rich but have no idea how to set it so that the mixture is right. spark plug is black and it should be a light brown.....looks like i hafta almost take the carb right off. to do it...

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
lol a cherry bomb in a 400ex ahahahaahaha :D i hope you are joking

no not joking the guy at the shop swore by it n that it would work,:huh but sounds like its not ment for it now...... im new to this whole sport quad deal all ive ridden are 4x4s. why won't it work?

oldskoolex400
01-27-2007, 03:45 PM
no not joking the guy at the shop swore by it n that it would work, but sounds like its not ment for it now...... im new to this whole sport quad deal all ive ridden are 4x4s. why won't it work?

well you see a 400ex has a carb, and then a ltr450 has fuel injection, the cherry bomb remaps the fuel flow basically for when you remove the baffle and airbox lid you gain some hp, i dont cant see you using a ltr450 cherry bomb in a 400ex, good luck with that

JDMThoughts
01-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by NRTHBUSH
i realise it is only a 400 .... my buddie has the 660.... but i am honestly have trouble geting my front end up after 2nd. in first gear it just snaps right up and second i hafta get right back a realy gun it to get it up..... it feels way weak. and my air fule mixture is way to rich but have no idea how to set it so that the mixture is right. spark plug is black and it should be a light brown.....looks like i hafta almost take the carb right off. to do it...

Go down one tooth on the front sprocket, with the addition to the pipe, filter and jetting with an advance timing key and you will have plenty of power to lift the front end up. The air fuel screw is on the bottom, you can do it without removing the carb if you have the proper tools. The stock setting is 2 and 1/4 turns out. Turn the screw all the way in until it touches, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.

j450rking
01-27-2007, 05:26 PM
try this....... you can preload the front end a little bit my hitting the gas and then let up and when the shocks start to push back up then punch the gas thats what i do and it works great

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
well you see a 400ex has a carb, and then a ltr450 has fuel injection, the cherry bomb remaps the fuel flow basically for when you remove the baffle and airbox lid you gain some hp, i dont cant see you using a ltr450 cherry bomb in a 400ex, good luck with that

e mail the yoshimura tech support and sales told them the sittuation.... basicly put i said if it is not going to work with my atv don't send it and give me my money back....... not gona listen to the guys at my atv shop any more.... they told me to take the spark arrestor out of my stock exhust.... but wouldn't that create virtualy no back pressure and fry my valves......?

dariusld
01-27-2007, 06:10 PM
[B they told me to take the spark arrestor out of my stock exhust.... but wouldn't that create virtualy no back pressure and fry my valves......? [/B]

No that wouldn't fry your valves and it wouldnt help, and it would make alot of noise. Think its time to find a new shop.

j450rking
01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
do you have a picture of this cherry bomb maybe your shop is calling it a cherry bomb and it relly is't and is just an rev box or somthing

Pappy
01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
1) Give the quad a good tune up. The 400ex is a wheelie monster and as long as your not 500 pounds, you shouldnt be complaining about it not lifting the front end

2) Check your jetting

3) Check your clutch

4) A bit more throttle:p

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
1) Give the quad a good tune up. The 400ex is a wheelie monster and as long as your not 500 pounds, you shouldnt be complaining about it not lifting the front end

2) Check your jetting

3) Check your clutch

4) A bit more throttle:p

it is basicly brand new... i bought it for 6gs in december.. the only thing is it comes with a # 38 series 21 jet and ive have been told i should put a #42 seried 21 in....

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by j450rking
do you have a picture of this cherry bomb maybe your shop is calling it a cherry bomb and it relly is't and is just an rev box or somthing

here is the pict...

250x_kyle
01-27-2007, 09:51 PM
yup that sfor the ltr ur gunna have to return it

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
yup that sfor the ltr ur gunna have to return it

yea i have e mailed them basicly stating that i don't want it. but im still confused why my atv shop would recomend it for my 400ex i guess the most bang for my buck is what i have already coming to me on monday. FMF power core slip on exhaust. K&N fillter kit and jet kit.

Pappy
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
it is basicly brand new... i bought it for 6gs in december.. the only thing is it comes with a # 38 series 21 jet and ive have been told i should put a #42 seried 21 in....

sorry, i missed that it was an 06

Kaleigh
01-27-2007, 10:56 PM
1- stage one cam

2- drop down a tooth in the front

3- remove airbox lid

4- cdi

dont be afraid to rev it then pop the clutch..

NRTHBUSH
01-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Kaleigh
1- stage one cam

2- drop down a tooth in the front

3- remove airbox lid

4- cdi

dont be afraid to rev it then pop the clutch..

will have the air box lid but it is going to have holes with a wire mesh to keep out most mud and sand.......... and cdi thats what i thought the cherry bomb was... but i was miss lead.... point me in the right direction.

Old Head
01-28-2007, 03:05 AM
don't drill the holes in the lid just take it off. You'll be surprised at how hard it is to get mud inside the box plus you'll want the lid for washing the quad.

j450rking
01-28-2007, 06:16 AM
you can get a good rev box at

http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/

for about $60 i have one and it works great

DE400EX
01-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I have a 06 also...

I have a DG full exhaust jetted and a kandN filter.. Whith out all that stuff 3rd gear was a little work, but now in gets up in all gears... Just sit up off the seat a little and lean back and youll be wheelie'n in all gears.

pitchblack400
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
How can you not get your 400 to do a wheelie in gears past 2nd. There are long black top straight stretches where im from that we ride on some and i dont start a wheelie on mine until 5th. And carry it for atleast a 1/4 mile. Its not going to come up with you setting on the gas tank slaming the gas. Slide back some, set up straight or even jerk on the bars a little. And when it does come up dont lean in toward the bars keep your weight back and be easy on the throttle it will carry very well.

You should be able to give the seat a good bounce and then when the shock comes back up then jerk the bars hard and it should jerk the front tires off the ground moving in 5th with no gas at all even, then just add some throttle to that formula and it will come up easily. And that raptor comes up alot easier becasue its 100000000 ft. tall.