PDA

View Full Version : anybody know anything about wireless routers??

dirt286
01-27-2007, 12:53 AM
So Im trying to get my wireless router working and it just won't. It is a netgear router and I have a cable modem(cable comes from the wall into the modem, no splits). I followed the instructions with the disc that was provided to basically run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router and then on one of the LAN ports from the router into my computer. Everytime I get everything hooked up the right way and it goes to test the connection it says it cant detect an internet connection. Meanwhile just minutes before, it worked and all the lights are working on the modem. after I disconnect the router and hook the modem back up without it, internet works. Now it was a free router that I got from the cable company over a year ago and I remember I had the same problem and just gave up on it, but since I got PS3 i want to get it working. As far as the lights on the router, power is on, LAN is on and the internet light kinda flickers(not to the point where its completely off and then comes back on its very subtle) So im not a computer wiz but I can figure stuff out if I know how it works so do i need to go into the settings on the computer somewhere, and what do I need to change or is the router crap....Ive seen the same one in the stores for 50 bux, recently.

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.
chris

Rastus
01-27-2007, 01:47 AM
I don't have a wireless one, although I do have an ethernet one. The lights are normal.

Are you wanting the computer to go through an ethernet cable, but the PS3 wireless? To get it to work, you'll need to go through setup options with the disk. If you've already been through those, then it may be ethernet options on your PC.

If you have XP, go under network connections. When you have it plugged in, make sure that the connection is enabled and you aren't getting any limited connection messages. Other than that, without being there, I can't tell you much more to do.

<DRS>GPF
01-27-2007, 06:57 AM
i gather that youre not using the wireless feature..

once youve been through the router setup..

once you connect from the cable modem to the WAN port of the router..
then connect the PC from the LAN card to the router..

you need to use the network setup wizard in the windows control panel..

if it still doesnt work..
then you need to go to Internet Option in the windows control panel
select the 'connections' tab at the top of the pane,
click on the 'lan settings' button at the bottom of the pane,
then check the box for 'automatically detect settings' (leave all other boxes open)
then click OK and OK again to close the pane.

now click 'start' and select 'run'.
type in "command" and hit the 'enter' button.. (opens a DOS window)
type "ipconfig" and hit 'enter'
if everything is working correctly, it should show the IP adress assigned to your PC (198.168.1.XXX), the subnet (255.255.255,0) and the gateway address of the router (198.168.1.XXX)..

if you want to poke around, checking your web response time, type in "tracert www.yahoo.com" (any known web address or IP address will work..)
this traces the # of 'hops' and avg. 'ping' times..
its a good tool to see if/why your internet is slow.. the higher the 'ping' time, the slower your connection.

i hope its not too confusing, but that should work..

also, if you arent using the wireless, then turn it off or password it(always password if youre using the wireless).. otherwise someone else can find your service and steal your bandwidth, slowing you down as a result..

dunnonuttin
01-27-2007, 07:42 AM
i have a netgear wireless router too and its been a pain in the *** lately when im tryin to load stuff from limewire, it loses the connection and somethin screws up so i have to go downstairs and unplug it and plug it back in. i use the wireless feature though

Raptor68
01-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Make sure you don't have any firewall settings that are preventing it from connecting. I had the same problem...everything was hooked up correctly but it wouldn't connect. I tried turning off the firewall an it worked. Just a thought.

TGW_400ex
01-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm using one of those did you do that online thing it makes you do first?

Ralph
01-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Routers can be a pain in the ***. One simple thing id suggest is that once ur computer is connected go to control panel > network connections > the right click on the "Local area connection" and hit repair.

Also, when u have it all set up does the ps3 see a wireless network? It will probably be called by the name of the router.

To check. Go on the ps3 and go to settings and wireless settings or network settings. Once you find the wiresless choose "search automaticaly and hit right on the joicestick and it should search for it.

dirt286
01-27-2007, 10:34 PM
ok ill do my best to answer all the questions. First of all I am connecting the router to the computer with the cable, not wireless. I want to use the ps3 wireless, but i haven't got that far because once I hook the router up to the computer I no longer have an internet connection, but all the lights on my modem are correct and I think they are correct on the router. also as far as firewalls I turned off the "personal firewall" on my norton internet security, is that right?? and what is the deal with a password for the wireless, how do i do that. My idea is that i have a good connection coming from the wall and then into the modem is good and then into the router is good but once it comes out of the router no more internet.. Dont know if what im saying is making sense or possible but im just thinking of something easy to explain my problem like a pipe filled with water. I get water up to the router but not after it. If you guys have any other ideas ill take em. Im going riding tommorrow :-) so when I get back I will print all the posts and then try it again.

Thanks a lot guys I posted the same post in a ps3 forum figuring they would know more about computers but it turns out that there is so many different people on here with different interests and skills....and riding brings us all together.
Thanks again.

yernkie
01-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Have you tried calling the cable company?

Ralph
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by dirt286
ok ill do my best to answer all the questions. First of all I am connecting the router to the computer with the cable, not wireless. I want to use the ps3 wireless, but i haven't got that far because once I hook the router up to the computer I no longer have an internet connection, but all the lights on my modem are correct and I think they are correct on the router. also as far as firewalls I turned off the "personal firewall" on my norton internet security, is that right?? and what is the deal with a password for the wireless, how do i do that. My idea is that i have a good connection coming from the wall and then into the modem is good and then into the router is good but once it comes out of the router no more internet.. Dont know if what im saying is making sense or possible but im just thinking of something easy to explain my problem like a pipe filled with water. I get water up to the router but not after it. If you guys have any other ideas ill take em. Im going riding tommorrow :-) so when I get back I will print all the posts and then try it again.

Thanks a lot guys I posted the same post in a ps3 forum figuring they would know more about computers but it turns out that there is so many different people on here with different interests and skills....and riding brings us all together.
Thanks again.

Like i said, tell us if u have tried any of the things we have told you to try and try to connect to the router with the ps3 even though ur computer is not connected. It will help us single it down.

rockman
01-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I'll add a little something here that might sound trivial to most, but I do this all day everyday. Turn both of them off. Turn the modem on and wait for the lights to go normal. THEN turn on the router. Usually you have to give the modem time to acquire and IP address before you turn on the router. The next thing to do if this doesn't work is check your router configuration. Most providers will have a technical support group that should be able to walk you through doing this yourself (WARNING: it takes FOREVER if you don't know what you're doing though) I know some of this has been said already, and <DRS>GPF had some good input. In my opinion it sounds like your issue is a router configuration problem and not something wrong with the computer or modem.

atvRiDa400ex
01-28-2007, 01:46 PM
the flickering light on your router is fine no problem there.

dirt286
01-28-2007, 10:53 PM
ok tried what you all said and here are the results
When I bring up the DOS window and type command and then ipconfig it lists the ip address and the subnet but the "default gateway" is blank

I also used the Network Setup Wizard which seemed to go fine but still nothing

As far as connections nothing is limited and there is no"limited connections messages"

I also turned on the ps3 like you said and and when through that ordeal and it did "find" the netgear router, i went through some setup screens for that and then when it tested the internet connection it said, "obtain IP address: succeeded, internet connection: failed"

As far as opening internet explorer on my computer, it does the same thing and displays that error message, could not display webpage or something like that.

Now a friend of mine told me that he couldn't get his router to work either and a friend of his that is computer smart came over and had to go into some window(Im assuming that dos window) and do something with IP addresses. He is just as bad with computers as I am so thats the best explanation I could get out him, something about matching the router with the modem.

I dunno Im lost and i appreciate the help you have already given and would like some more:)

and as far as using the tech support with the router.....it has been sitting in a box for a year and im sure i would be charged for help now

Thanks again, chris

dirt286
01-28-2007, 10:54 PM
When I bring up the DOS window and type command and then ipconfig it lists the ip address and the subnet but the "default gateway" is blank

I also used the Network Setup Wizard which seemed to go fine but still nothing

As far as connections nothing is limited and there is no"limited connections messages"

I also turned on the ps3 like you said and and when through that ordeal and it did "find" the netgear router, i went through some setup screens for that and then when it tested the internet connection it said, "obtain IP address: succeeded, internet connection: failed"

As far as opening internet explorer on my computer, it does the same thing and displays that error message, could not display webpage or something like that.

Now a friend of mine told me that he couldn't get his router to work either and a friend of his that is computer smart came over and had to go into some window(Im assuming that dos window) and do something with IP addresses. He is just as bad with computers as I am so thats the best explanation I could get out him, something about matching the router with the modem.

I dunno Im lost and i appreciate the help you have already given and would like some more:)

and as far as using the tech support with the router.....it has been sitting in a box for a year and im sure i would be charged for help now

Thanks again, chris

Ralph
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
I dunno man. They really arent that hard to set up so maybe ur router is busted. I would say buy a new one. If it still doesnt work return it

i30nes
01-28-2007, 11:35 PM
You know the make and model of the router by chance?

rockman
01-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Ok from what you said there your router isn't handing out IP addresses. I would assume the problem is DHCP is not enabled on your router. As i30nes said, whats the make and model on the router? Did it come with any kind of paperwork(manual)? On your computer type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes, then "ipconfig /renew".. If this does not get you an IP address then there is deffinately something not configured correctly on the router, most likely DHCP needs to be turned on.

Sorry, those commands you type in the command prompt.

<DRS>GPF
01-29-2007, 07:27 AM
When I bring up the DOS window and type command and then ipconfig it lists the ip address and the subnet but the "default gateway" is blank.....

if your gateway address is blank, then the router cant see the net.

youll need to configure the router.. if there's no software that will walk you through it, then youll need to access it though your web browser to set it up manually.

at this point we'll need to know the exact model of the router..(usually a foil tag on the bottom)

i30nes
01-29-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rockman
Ok from what you said there your router isn't handing out IP addresses. I would assume the problem is DHCP is not enabled on your router. As i30nes said, whats the make and model on the router? Did it come with any kind of paperwork(manual)? On your computer type "ipconfig /release" without the quotes, then "ipconfig /renew".. If this does not get you an IP address then there is deffinately something not configured correctly on the router, most likely DHCP needs to be turned on.

Sorry, those commands you type in the command prompt.

Yea as he said with the DHCP. It could have somehow been marked off. I own a linksys one and every now and then have issues with it or if the power goes out. Also after you get it up and running see if theres a way to save your router configuration to a file on your desktop. May help for future problems to.

rockman
01-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Not to get off track, but i USED to have a linksys. I had the same problem with DHCP refusing to work every now and then. It quit running dhcp altogether and i got so pissed that I went out and got a netgear. I'll never use linksys agian.. the netgear is so much better and provides 10x the admin capabilities. I love it.

dirt286
01-29-2007, 10:25 AM
OK its a netgear WGR614 v6

I remember seeing something about that DHCP your talking about and a screen popped up when I already had the router hooked up and I restarted the setup with the disc, it said that DHCP needed to be turned on and it would do it automatically. I dont really know if its on or not though. And the disc that came with router has a setup section on it that is not helpful at all, the only troubleshooter it has is to make sure the cables are connected right and nothing else useful.

thanks again

dirt286
01-29-2007, 10:52 PM
GPF where you at??? I posted the make and model above.

i30nes
01-29-2007, 11:13 PM
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/KWGR614_manual.pdf

dirt286
01-30-2007, 01:49 AM
FINALLY!!!!

thank you to all that posted, I finally got it
What I did was print out that handy (very long) manual and just went through the whole thing step-by-step but what was pretty stupid is that all the settings it told me to do were already set that way and when it suggested reseting the router with that little button that doesn't look like a button it finally worked. If the friggin thinkg would have just came with a manual i would known.

i30nes
01-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Good to hear you finally got it working... Now I am not to sure on the netgear routers but see if there is something like save router configuration or something... If so save that file to a folder on your desktop. That way you have a configuration of when the router did work to restore it to.

dirt286
01-30-2007, 07:09 PM
well there wasn't anything like that but there is a webpage that saves the changes that I make so hopefully that will do it
thanks again guys

<DRS>GPF
01-31-2007, 04:44 AM
GPF where you at??? I posted the make and model above.

sorry dirt, im travelling and i dont get alot of time to browse the message boards.

glad to hear youve got it though!