PDA

View Full Version : stock (red) seat cover flaws???

4punksdad
10-21-2001, 05:51 PM
My buddy has a 99 400EX, and I have a 2000. Both of our stock red seat covers started to develop these brownish looking stains which seem to be growing in size & quantity. They started out about the size of a pencil eraser, and some of them are 2" or more in diameter now.

anyone else experience this problem?

RideRed04
10-21-2001, 06:33 PM
try cleaning it with windex. (are they rub marks from your boots/pants?) Also try using the toilet instead of your 400ex.:D

Tommy 17
10-21-2001, 07:58 PM
my stock seat cover never had the stains on it and it was a 00. i did have a problem wit the honda wearing off and i had it rip where it rolls over on the front. i suggest u get a gripper seat 3 punks it so much nicer to ride wit.

400exRacerX
10-21-2001, 08:20 PM
no i never had that problm while i had my stock cover, i would suggest getting a aftermarket seat cover like a nacs seat cover, they make your quad look really nice and give you some grip for your arse.

Nausty
10-21-2001, 08:32 PM
Just remember to wipe next time you gotta go:D No really the gripper seats are cool I got them on our dirt bikes and its way better plus its most of them are black so when you forget to wipe it won't show up as bad;) hehe just playin wit ya.

"BLAHH"300!!
10-21-2001, 09:40 PM
could it be-

from a photo i saw you keep your bike indoors
but -
does it look like mildew?

we had that problem on a yammy big bear
had tan fender's and a red seat-
i took --(clorox)- haha- and went over the whole
thing after washing it -- got all the mud stains off the fender's and -- took some el-bow grease and it got off the seat as well
i used regular clorox and a green scrub pad that you use to wash dishes with- don't scrub too hard on the fender's though
it'll leave marks- but the seat wont matter-

and it wont bleach it either- -
put it on scrubb the chit'outa'it and get it off

later- oh and i got a hi-flight seat on my 300ex wid' flames
no problems with that on there

"BLAHH"300!!
10-21-2001, 09:41 PM
speaking of- HI-FLIGHT -
seat cover's anyone know where to see these on-line
mine been on for a while and the red part of the flames are fading out- want a new one-

thanx-
- later

MR. HONDA EX'S
10-21-2001, 09:50 PM
My 300 Has that same problem. Don't sure why it is. My 400 didn't have any stains, it just turned orange. So i just got a 01' black seat from Honda. It looks great and only cost $68. Seat covers cost like $60, the Honda was whole seat, not a cover.:D

JabberJaw
10-22-2001, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 3punksdad
My buddy has a 99 400EX, and I have a 2000. Both of our stock red seat covers started to develop these brownish looking stains

Did you check the seat of your pants? If they are brown also we know what the problem is.... you been sitting on mud :-)

oynot400
10-22-2001, 10:32 AM
Mine has some staining also, I figured that it is from some nasty mud that I rode in. I haven't found anything that takes it out yet.

FoxRacing400EX
10-22-2001, 11:08 AM
It's possible that you could have ridden thouugh a puddle or somehow got water in the foam under the seat cover. If so that would be a likely cause of the stain and why it keeps getting bigger; it's like a stain in carpet if you get it off the top but don't get it out of the pad it'll keep comming back. Clorox would most likely kill it. I'm not sure about any bike shops but I know marine places carry a product that removes mildew from vinyl seats cause my dad uses that on his boat seats cause sometimes rain gets through the tarp and leaves an ugly stain on the seats.

JabberJaw
10-22-2001, 11:49 AM
Have they ever made a brown quad? Don't think I have ever seen one...

Tommy 17
10-22-2001, 12:14 PM
actually jabber yamaha made the big bear, grizzly, kodiak, bear tracker in a tan or brownish colors.

JabberJaw
10-22-2001, 01:15 PM
My seat says 'SPOR-trax'... OR....'SPORT-rax'...don't know which. Seems wierd....

Red Rooster
10-22-2001, 06:06 PM
Maby when the flies dump on it it bleeds around. I think thats what happened to mine. After i wash it like 3-4 times it comes off.:huh

DEAL
10-22-2001, 06:30 PM
s.o.s pad and scrub

4punksdad
10-22-2001, 06:35 PM
glad we are not the only ones............I was beginning to think it was in the water.................a few of you have had the same problem, the rest have not.

the idea of the stain coming up from the foam seems logical..........but I have owned plenty of bikes, and have never had this problem. Now that I think about it, not many have had seats that were either blue or black.

coryatver
10-22-2001, 07:14 PM
Mine has stains to... It makes it look bad. I tried scrubing them out but it won't come out. Also it faded a little. I keep it inside.