PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with Tusk

kalebarellano
01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Is tusk a good company? They have alot of good deals. I have already ordered some gaskets and a e-brake block off that are tusk. I was thinking about ordering a tusk clutch kit. Is there any reason not to go with the tusk clutch? Anyone boughten one? How are they?

Thanks

tim colston
01-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I have heard good things about tusk clutch kits.

GPracer2500
01-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Isn't Tusk RockyMountain's in house brand?

tim colston
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I belive you are right GPracer2500

stalefish_132
01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
the only experience that i've had with tusk was break pads and they were garbage. hope there other products last longer :ermm:

hornetgod13
01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Most all aftermarket brake pads suck. I wouldn't blame just TUSK for that.
I have a couple TUSK parts and tools. I have no problems with any of them. I'd buy that brand again if I had the chance to.

exrider008
01-26-2007, 02:48 PM
i use tusk brakes and they seem to be good. im on my second set.
you can only get them at rockymountain.

krt400ex
01-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Isn't Tusk RockyMountain's in house brand?

exactly. it is like Americas choice for the A&P. or sams choice for the sams club/walmart

AtvMxRider
01-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by stalefish_132
the only experience that i've had with tusk was break pads and they were garbage. hope there other products last longer :ermm:

I have had good luck with Tusk brake pads

skull2002
01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
just put a clutch kit in my friends raptor, from tusk. no problems. i would recommend a set of heavy duty springs also. 10% firmer, better clutch engagement.

Fenix169motox
01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by kalebarellano
Is tusk a good company? They have alot of good deals. I have already ordered some gaskets and a e-brake block off that are tusk. I was thinking about ordering a tusk clutch kit. Is there any reason not to go with the tusk clutch? Anyone boughten one? How are they?

Thanks

hey i've got a tusk clutch on my ex and the only problem i have ever had with it was when the motor's cold and you pop it into gear, the quad wants to take off. but like i said thats the onyl problem

slomoe
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
i have had a tusk clutch in my 400ex for awhile now works great

exrider008
01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Fenix169motox
hey i've got a tusk clutch on my ex and the only problem i have ever had with it was when the motor's cold and you pop it into gear, the quad wants to take off. but like i said thats the onyl problem

thats most likely ur clutch basket not the clutch its self.

kalebarellano
01-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, cool. I am thinking about replacing the clutch in my 400ex, as I am in the process of a rebuild right now. I will need to take it out to do the cam chain anyway. The reason I think I made need a clutch is cause when I got the bike it smoked bad, and I was revving it up high in neutral and at high rpm (like on the rev limiter), I could feel it wanting to go forward a little. Does this mean it is time for a clutch kit?

Thanks

togup
01-26-2007, 07:13 PM
I dont know bout clutches or brakes but they make a sweet axle ive had it for bout 2 years and its TITE !

450rJam
01-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I put a set of tusk nerfs on my daughters 400ex.

I got what I paid for, not a great nerf set but enough to keep her from running her leg over and they look better than they feel strenth wise

250x_kyle
01-27-2007, 09:59 PM
i have tusk nerfs and parking break block off. they are great. im planing on getting more of their parts

HondaSkidoo
01-28-2007, 05:14 AM
I have a tusk brake block off which unlike others had an oring built in for sealing and came with new hardware, I also have a tusk billit gas cap. both parts seam high in quality. I wouldn't be afraid of them.:D

redzoomer
01-28-2007, 07:34 AM
I have used the Tusk products right down to the G-force axle.. I like them. I haven't seen any issues with thier stuff! For the money you can't beat them. I wish some of these other companies would use that tactic.

clutch25
01-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I installed a set of "Tusk" +2" brake lines on my buddies 400ex.

Hmmm order the Galfer ones for $90 or the Tusk Galfer ones for $70.

Either they were made by Galfer or they just used Galfer banjo ends but the brake ends said Galfer on them....

AbnMP13
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Anyone use this? (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9297&navTitle=Electrical&vehicleId=3921&webCatId=20&webTypeId=78&stockId=41894&navType=closeout) Tusk tether kill switch

krt400ex
02-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by clutch25
I installed a set of "Tusk" +2" brake lines on my buddies 400ex.

Hmmm order the Galfer ones for $90 or the Tusk Galfer ones for $70.

Either they were made by Galfer or they just used Galfer banjo ends but the brake ends said Galfer on them....

thats pretty funny.

they probably just made a mistake. they did that when i ordered my razr2's. they overnight shipped them for free, and they would normally have taken 8 days to get here.

krt400ex
02-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by AbnMP13
Anyone use this? (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9297&navTitle=Electrical&vehicleId=3921&webCatId=20&webTypeId=78&stockId=41894&navType=closeout) Tusk tether kill switch

it would be worth it just to try it because it is only $5, but then that also makes me wonder about quality.

i would just get the pro armor one. those are sweet

02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam

I got what I paid for, not a great nerf set but enough to keep her from running her leg over and they look better than they feel strenth wise

They are really thin but have no weight to them.

Tusk clutch is really not a tusk clutch. They buy the clutch from some other comp and then put them in their tusk package and call them tusk and sell them cheeper.

Break pads same thing too.

People are buying tusk gas caps and selling them on ebay and getting a extra $10 out of them.

AbnMP13
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
it would be worth it just to try it because it is only $5, but then that also makes me wonder about quality.

i would just get the pro armor one. those are sweet

I ordered it, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

eliasxr400
03-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I have used alot of tusk products on my XR400 and have no complaints. My dirt bike has Tusk brake pads, shifter, seal savers, clutch kit , gas cap vent, and of course, stickers.
I just ordered the tusk bumper for my 400ex. This thing looks good! The black insert should match my black houser a-arms on the way from C&D.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLargerImage.do?prodImage=t/tus_07_com_ser_alu_fro_bum.jpg

This thing is the cheapest bumper they sell at $69.99 and looks better than most.

04TRX400EX
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I only have a Tusk gas cap and e-brake block-off plate on my 400EX and the quality seems to be very good. I am not opposed to saving some money over the "name" brands if it is nearly as good.

AbnMP13
03-01-2007, 05:09 PM
That is a nice looking bumper, I think I like it better than my DG. :grr:

Bellissimo
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
You guys that have the tusk clutches, can you honestly say you put a good beating on your clutch and its still holding up good, or you guys just out cruising fields? i would really like to try the clutch but dont wanna just waste my money...

Cuz i doubted what everyone else said about the brake pads and in turn pretty much just threw 15 bucks down the drain. The pads lasted about 8 hours of riding time. 2 days of riding over the weekend in snow and mud, and the pads went from brand new to metal to metal... i couldnt belive it... Never went through a set that quick in my life.

redrocker
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I got a set of honda style tie rods 6 months ago and they are shot already
all kinds of play . These were for a Raptor
so I will see how there life time guarantee
is

slodsm
03-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I bought a couple of their parts and have had no issues with them. They aren't the most expensive therefore I didn't expect the greatest in quality but I go everything I paid for so no complaints.

eliasxr400
03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Bellissimo
You guys that have the tusk clutches, can you honestly say you put a good beating on your clutch and its still holding up good, or you guys just out cruising fields? i would really like to try the clutch but dont wanna just waste my money...

Cuz i doubted what everyone else said about the brake pads and in turn pretty much just threw 15 bucks down the drain. The pads lasted about 8 hours of riding time. 2 days of riding over the weekend in snow and mud, and the pads went from brand new to metal to metal... i couldnt belive it... Never went through a set that quick in my life.

I ride for 6-8hrs almost every sunday on tight enduro trails with my XR400, don't cruise many fields though. I dont know if you have ever ran single track on a bike but it is very hard on a clutch. The Tusk may not be the best out there but they last as long as barnett, EBC, and stock. If you go thru a clutch every 5-6 weeks it can get pricey. You can not go wrong with the Tusk for the price. I cant say if it will be as good in a Quad, because my 400ex is still on its first. Only riden 4 weekends. They have the same motors but a Quad may be a little harder on a clutch. I would not be scared to try one for under $40.

As for the brake pads, where they front or back? I went thru the stock 400ex pads in 2 rides and put EBC on. They don't seem to lock up as good and I was going to order a set of tusk because I liked them on my XR400. I thought all back brakes for the 400ex wear out fast because of the size.

eliasxr400
03-02-2007, 05:19 PM
That is a nice looking bumper, I think I like it better than my DG. :grr:
I havent got it yet to really check it out. Was suppost to be here today but when I tracked it, it was delayed to March 6. Its in Salt Lake City somewhere. First problem I ever had with UPS.

AbnMP13
03-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by eliasxr400
I thought all back brakes for the 400ex wear out fast because of the size.

On my 06 400ex all the brake pads are the same part number...

krt400ex
03-03-2007, 06:06 AM

maybe hes talking about the rotor size?

personally, i think they wear out so much faster because they are more exposed to mud and dirt than the front pads. dirt is like hell on pads. it is like grinding them down with a grinding wheel if it gets between the rotor and pad

Bellissimo
03-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by eliasxr400
I ride for 6-8hrs almost every sunday on tight enduro trails with my XR400, don't cruise many fields though. I dont know if you have ever ran single track on a bike but it is very hard on a clutch. The Tusk may not be the best out there but they last as long as barnett, EBC, and stock. If you go thru a clutch every 5-6 weeks it can get pricey. You can not go wrong with the Tusk for the price. I cant say if it will be as good in a Quad, because my 400ex is still on its first. Only riden 4 weekends. They have the same motors but a Quad may be a little harder on a clutch. I would not be scared to try one for under $40.

As for the brake pads, where they front or back? I went thru the stock 400ex pads in 2 rides and put EBC on. They don't seem to lock up as good and I was going to order a set of tusk because I liked them on my XR400. I thought all back brakes for the 400ex wear out fast because of the size.

yeah it was the rear pads that wore out real fast.

anyone know what part number you used for the factory yamaha pads to bolt up to the 400???

Bellissimo
03-03-2007, 07:56 AM

personally, i think they wear out so much faster because they are more exposed to mud and dirt than the front pads. dirt is like hell on pads. it is like grinding them down with a grinding wheel if it gets between the rotor and pad

agreed +1!!!!

thats the only conclusion that i could come to too...

eliasxr400
03-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I did not know the front and back are the same brake pads. I think they are way undersized for a 400lb. bike with a 200lb. rider. Dirt bike pads are so much bigger.
I also wore the first set out fast because I have rode dirt bikes all of my life untill I got my 400ex. From force of habit I locked up the rear brake to slide into a turn. It took me a long time to get used to using the front brakes and throttle to break the back end of the quad free to make a sharp turn. Now I try to only use the back brakes when going down a hill or stopping, not turning.

hornetgod13
03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
TUSK Grips are worthless. They tear easily. I ruined 2 sets just trying to install them. I eventually went with Scott grips. Most TUSK parts and tools I've got are great but, the grips are not worth the money.

AbnMP13
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Negative, I'm referring to the PADS. All three sets of pads are the same part number so by Elias' theory front should wear out at the same time as the back.

Link to parts page for 400EX on Service Honda (http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm)

Scroll down and check the parts numbers for the front and rear pads.

hornetgod13
03-03-2007, 11:07 PM
They are the same part number all around. The rear wears quicker because it's used more often. There is only one set of pads being used in the rear as compared to the two sets up front.

skull2002
03-04-2007, 05:56 AM
i have the tusk hd clutch pack.also 25% stiffer spring set. i race harescrambles, and abuse the clutch more than the average weekend trail rider.i am close to 40 hp, and crazy torque also, snd the clutch works great! proper installation, and cable adjustment are the key to clutch plate life. make sure you soak the fibers in the same oil you intend to run, i use 20-50 valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil. this allows the fibers to expand to max. thickness. i also scuff up each steel on both sides, helps fibers grab better.make sure your cable is not putting tension on clutch arm . adjust bottom adjuster so that there is a little play there. on the first ride, just go slow and smooth thru the gears, to allow the clutch to heat up evenly, if you go out and rip it, the fibers will slip on the steels and glaze up, and cause slipping, which eventually will ruin your clutch again.eventually, i am planning on going to the hinson, 8 plate clutch set up, but 5 bills is hard to let go of! hope this answers a few questions.

krt400ex
03-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
They are the same part number all around. The rear wears quicker because it's used more often. There is only one set of pads being used in the rear as compared to the two sets up front.

not true, i rarely use my rear brakes, but they still wear out quicker. i have gone through 3 sets of rear pads since i bought my bike, but i am only on my 2nd set in the front

eliasxr400
03-06-2007, 01:43 PM
I got my tusk bumper today and this thing really looks good!
I cant wait to get it on my quad. It's 18 3/4" wide and 11" tall. It looks as good or better than any other bumper I have seen.
I also got some 3" extended hubs from G-force-that is tusk. They look pretty good to. You can't get good wheel spacers for the price of them.
I'm waiting for my Houser A-arms and works shocks to install everything. I will post pics of the tusk parts installed.

Pipeless416
03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
not true, i rarely use my rear brakes, but they still wear out quicker. i have gone through 3 sets of rear pads since i bought my bike, but i am only on my 2nd set in the front

each front wheel has one set of brakes to itself, so there is much less force put on the pads. in the rear, much more friction is generated since there is only one brake disk and caliper to stop everything. and like it was said, the rear is much more exposed to dirt and grit that can wear down a set of pads in one ride sometimes.

atvRiDa400ex
03-06-2007, 06:15 PM
IMO tusk a good brand