PDA

View Full Version : my first boots, shifting questions, help!

bigsled
01-26-2007, 05:43 AM
i got my first boots, alpinestar size 13. i have a 400ex. i had to move foot shift as many of you have done. i then had to bend sprocket cover in alittle as lever was hitting. is this normal ?? i thought it would be easier than bending shifter out.

i have to trailer bike to try it as i live in the city . plus its only 15 degrees here this week so i havent been able to try it. it seems like i'm going to have to lift foot off of peg to down shift. is this normal? i cant go any lower with lever else boot wont fit.

i havent used the boots yet so i can still return them but i really want to keep them. does the benifits of boots out weigh the shifting issues

:confused: :(
even after the boots break in i dont think i will be able to pivot my boot to downshiftwhile still keeping my foot on peg. i dont race just normal trail riding

jordan_m6
01-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Boots are really stiff at first but you will be able shift just like you could without them, once they breakin. If there is ever a chance get them wet and walk around in them. That helped me out, made breaking them in faster.

katch26
01-26-2007, 07:12 AM
an old army trick is to wear your new boots in the shower with you....sounds dumb but it works

450ERRRRRR!
01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I sounded just like you till it all broke in. I was sure there would never be a way these boots and my shifter would ever get along.
Good things come to those who wait!:D

DF400ex
01-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by katch26
an old army trick is to wear your new boots in the shower with you....sounds dumb but it works

I've done that a few times, lol. Works great on leather boots, but I wouldn't try it with the new ACU suede boots,lol. I have heard of people putting leather softener on them like a baseball mitt, but it makes them soft everywhere, not just where you need them to be so this is highly not recommended.

katch26
01-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by DF400ex
I've done that a few times, lol. Works great on leather boots, but I wouldn't try it with the new ACU suede boots,lol. I have heard of people putting leather softener on them like a baseball mitt, but it makes them soft everywhere, not just where you need them to be so this is highly not recommended.

yeah the new boots dont need it like the old black ones did....mink oil is what youre talking about, and that works good too.

clutch25
01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I got some Thor boots when I bought my quad. I walked around with them on inside every day for like 2 months trying to get them to loosen up.

I second the theory on getting them wet. Once I did...they felt great!

gbcap
01-26-2007, 11:38 AM
wear them around your house as much as you can. get them wet a few times but not completely soaked.

after you get used to them you will never go back to regular boots again!

DF400ex
01-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by katch26
yeah the new boots dont need it like the old black ones did....mink oil is what youre talking about, and that works good too.

Mink oil works to but what I was actually refering to is a leather softening foam/oil specifically made for baseball mitts or really hard leather. It makes it way too soft, even for a mitt

You deff don't want to use mink oil on the new ACU suede boots, it makes them look wet all the time and your feet cannot breath ---> trench foot

anderson3064
01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
this wont help in 15 degree weather but first sign of a somewhat warm day. get the boots wet with your feet in them and then wear them all day. you will walk them dry and they will fit like a glove.

Old Head
01-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I had problems when i got new boots. I was upshifting through the whoops because they were so stiff. Now that i'm used to them and they are broken in some i hate riding without them.