PDA

View Full Version : Question about LT Shocks

TarheelRedRider
01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok I just got a set of +1 LT a-arms for my 05 450r. I was told that I need a set of 18.5 LT shocks. Why do I have to use the 18.5 shocks and not a 19.5 set or 19.25 or even a set of 19's. Is it possible to put the longer set on or will it just ride like crap. I dont race so I dont need a perfect setup but I do need a good setup because I do some freestyle jumps and ride hard on on the tracks. Can I just adjust the longer shocks out to compensate for the extra ride height. Or will this cause some major problems. Reason why Im asking is that I do not wont to spend a large amount of money on a new set of custom built shocks if I can buy a good set of used shocks and it is almost impossible to find a set of 18.5 LT shocks. Thanks for any replies and info.

pudamac12
01-26-2007, 06:56 AM
you must run the length of shock that is designed for that arm. If the shock is valved correctly you won't ever notice that 1" difference anyways. Longer is not always better. It all comes down to a properly designed a arm with the correct leverage ratio's.

as far as finding 18.5" shocks, check the yfz guys that is the length of their long travel shocks. I think they will bolt right up. You might have to have them revalved and resprung

400exrider707
01-26-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
you must run the length of shock that is designed for that arm. If the shock is valved correctly you won't ever notice that 1" difference anyways. Longer is not always better. It all comes down to a properly designed a arm with the correct leverage ratio's.

as far as finding 18.5" shocks, check the yfz guys that is the length of their long travel shocks. I think they will bolt right up. You might have to have them revalved and resprung

yeah 18.5 is very common with the yfz crowd.

MR.BIG
01-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I was having the same dilema but I have the 18.5 LT elkas and I was going to put on the houser Lt front end and when I talked to Derisi racing he said you should use what they say you need otherwise the leverage won't be correct So I ended up ordering the Long travel slicast max ground clearance which is probably what you have. Will it work probably you just might have to mess around with the valving.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Some times the length of the shock that is recommend for a a-arm is to long. Some companies only take into account how far the ball joint can go up and down to get the maximum amount of travel, this is not the best way to build shocks. Other factors such as tie rod angles need to be considered. The frame needs to be 12'' off the ground with the intended tire sizes installed, measure the center of eyelet length on the front shocks. Now lower the atv down on to a 1'' block and remeasure the center of eyelet length ( all three shock must be removed). This will give you the extended and compressed shock length. You can figure shaft travel by subtracting the two. This method of shock design will result in the best handling setup. With these figures and the measured travel you can figure the leverage ratio

TarheelRedRider
01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Thank you guys, this helps allot. I think I will wind up with a set of Black Widows 19 inchs. I just struck up a deal with a guy for them so if anything I live near Derisi racing so I will have them to set them up for my setup. Thanks.