PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust fuel screw with carb on?

Ensign
09-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Is it possible to fit one of those real short, stubby screwdrivers to adjust the fuel screw with the carb on the 400ex? I couldn't fit a regular screwdriver in there.

I have a slight hesitation in throttle response when I just move the throttle a little bit. Would going richer with the screw solve this?

Thanks!
----
Brandon

Hoodeye3
09-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Ive used micros on it but its a tight hand cramping fit! Something much better for ya would be a 90 degree screwdriver from any decent tool sore , and there cheap!

Ensign
09-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Hoodeye3
Ive used micros on it but its a tight hand cramping fit! Something much better for ya would be a 90 degree screwdriver from any decent tool sore , and there cheap!

Cool, thanks. I think I might even have one lying around somewhere.

Should this solve my off-idle hesitation problem?
---
Brandon

VegasEx'r
09-26-2002, 09:50 AM
What size pilot are you running, and what have you done to the engine?

Ensign
09-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by VegasEx'r
What size pilot are you running, and what have you done to the engine?

Everything is stock, so I guess the pilot is a 38. No engine, exhaust, or airbox work.

I'll be switching the pilot and main when I start playing around (removing choke, holes in airbox lid, etc.), but I was hoping this would help for now.
---
Brandon

Hoodeye3
09-26-2002, 01:38 PM
One of the single best improvments Ive done for my 400 was to purchase and install a dynojet kit, after that and adjusting the mixture screw my throttle response is primo (I had that same off idle drop you are claiming) Good Luck!

RED121572
09-27-2002, 07:36 AM
Oh, the headaches of adjusting that freakin screw with the carb on...been there done that.

If your like me and dont have a peg board full of useless tools that you might use once in your life, try my little trick...

Remove the seat, loosen the clamp between the carb and the airbox boot. Loosen the clamp between the carb and the intake manifold. Rotate the bottom of the carb towards the clutch side of your thumper. With a really short flat head screw driver, you can turn that screw.

Good luck!:D

powerslider
09-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Mac Tools part#SD90A Screwdriver-gear drive offset bit driver. This tool is perfect for adjusting carbs with the mixture screws on the bottom. It has a female hex on the gear drive end so you can insert any hex type screwdriver bit, the handle slides off the drive end so you can use a magnetic bit driver extention so it will reach into tight areas. I have this setup and it makes carb adjustments very easy. I think it was about 35.00.:cool: :cool: