View Full Version : epoxy flooring

1fst400
01-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Im looking into coatings for my garage floor. Now I have a chunk of lenolium but the corners get all folded up.

I was looking at rustoleum products. http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=59&SBL=1

Does anyone know how far a gallon of that stuff will cover? Its 80$ for a gallon. on thier site it says 200 sq feet. Is it accurate? how big of imperfections does it fill in on the floor.

here is a pic of the area I want to coat. its about 20x12.

then possibly the inside of my trailer which is 6x12.

1fst400
01-25-2007, 06:42 PM
after looking at the cost of this stuff.

Me and my dad where thinking it may be better if i just painted it. have any of you guys done this?

400eXr1d3rZ
01-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Off topic question I know, but why is it every picture you post your quad is apart?

:D

1fst400
01-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Off topic question I know, but why is it every picture you post your quad is apart?

:D

because when it is together im to busy riding it, and usually I break it when I ride it. Bring it inside, take it apart, get bored and take pictures. when it is together and running I dont think to take a pic, I just want to ride.

Pipeless416
01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
after looking at the cost of this stuff.

Me and my dad where thinking it may be better if i just painted it. have any of you guys done this?

what do you mean just paint it?? that can be done? the $80 for a gallon scared us away too since we have a rather large area to do. we need to start looking into something for our floor because i think the salt from the roads has taken quite the toll on the concrete. if anybody has any information on this i would be very interested.

Quadfather
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Epoxy is definitely the way to go, if you want it to last. Using a regular, oil based floor enamel can't hold up to the salt, heat from the tires, and the various things that drip from your car.

You will need to give the floor a good powerwashing, then etch the floor with muratic acid, then apply the epoxy.

05Z400rdr
01-25-2007, 07:47 PM
we have it on our workshop floor in our basement...i guess its the same stuff..? anyways, this stuff hold up to everything very good and we feel it was well-worth the $...plus it looks cool too!:D

1fst400
01-25-2007, 07:51 PM
geez its a tough one. thats like 200$ for my garage...

I think im going to give paint a shot. My main reason is to cut doun on dust.

400exrider707
01-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 1fst400
geez its a tough one. thats like 200$ for my garage...

I think im going to give paint a shot. My main reason is to cut doun on dust.

To cut down on dust? Why would any of those help.... you will eventually track all that dirt back in. Plus you need to clean the floors up spotlessly befor applying paint or epoxy.

If you do go the paint route, check out behrs masonary and stucco paint.. works very good. Also the epoxy is very good, I heard a lot of good things about it... (I worked in the paint Department at Home Depot)

Regular_Joe
01-26-2007, 08:20 AM
The epoxy is good but proper preparation is the key. If it says etch w/ muratic acid then you best do it ....

Pappy
01-26-2007, 08:22 AM
we used plain old woodfloor clear, i geuss its a laquer. the company next door would always have a bit left in the 5 gallon pails so we just put all the small amounts into one container and poured it over the floor in one area of our warehouse. its been 5 or 6 years and its holding up alot better then we expected...lol

MOFO
01-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Do not use regular paint... trust me, it will lift after a short amount of time. Then its going to REALLY look like crap when you have big spots of paint pulling up...

Suck it up and buy the epoxy. I have a small garage and did it last year... its holding up GREAT. I drag all kinds of crap across it with no issues.

The most important part of the process will be your prepping. Make sure you SCRUB the concrete and use a good acid to clean it. It also has to be 100% dry. I waited a few days even with heaters in there before I applied the epoxy.

Good luck!

1fst400
01-27-2007, 06:09 AM
I already went ahead and painted it. It was some deck and floor paint. It as 22$ a gallon for light grey. It said on it that you can paint concrete floors with it.

I vacuumed the floor first to get up all the sand.

Quadfather
01-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Good Luck