PDA

View Full Version : Elka steering stabilizers

Ty's400
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has the System 5 or System 3. How does it perform? I think somebody needs to do a comparison between that and the Precision!

Joetrx
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
The 1/10 of Elka Damper have oil leaking problems.

I live in Canada (Québec) and the Damper is not available.

The reasons is simple... The machinning is not nough tight.

Buy a Precision...

(Sorry for my English).

Ty's400
01-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow that's pretty crazy to hear about a leaking issue. I can't believe there hasn't been much said about them either way (good or bad). Is there not many out?

01-26-2007, 06:51 AM
I thought Elka was based in Canada.

ah929rr
01-26-2007, 06:51 AM
I have had mine on order for atleast 8 weeks and I was just told that it is going to be another 6-7 weeks until I get one. I am really thinking about going with the precision and being done with it.

Dupontster
01-26-2007, 06:56 AM
We have a Precision and love it.....Really can't compare though because never tried a Elka....

Ex_Rider43
01-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by ah929rr
I have had mine on order for atleast 8 weeks and I was just told that it is going to be another 6-7 weeks until I get one. I am really thinking about going with the precision and being done with it.

the reason why you cant receive yours is because of the leaking issue. only 1 of 10 units is good , the others are leaking upon assembly because of poor machining tolerances thats what I was told but Im sure its as good as a precision .

Id take a system 3 over the 5, too much adjustments on the 5.

400exrider707
01-26-2007, 07:11 AM
I dont think they are going to be all that different. If I was told I had to wait 15 weeks for an elks... Precision would be getting my money.

huntrjc
01-26-2007, 08:04 AM
I have a series 5 and love it,,no leaking issues and the tech support at elka has not heard nothing of 1 in 10 are good. The stabilzer is very smooth and awesome,,,,,the extra adjustments on it are for extra benefits,,its not that you have to have all five settings set up to use it,,,the series 3 is the way to go for XC,,,but i got a sick price on series 5 so i went for it.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-26-2007, 08:26 AM
we have sold a couple and one was a system 5 he said that it is nice just too many adjustments so you spend too much time adjusting and not riding

Ty's400
01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah I definitely wouldn't think there would be a need for 5 adjustments, maybe if you were the engineer that designed it. Have you tried one out personally Colby? Elka makes great products so I just can't believe not very many people have tried them and that some are having such major problems.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-26-2007, 12:41 PM
We run the precision haven't tried the elka

machinehead
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Ex_Rider43
the reason why you cant receive yours is because of the leaking issue. only 1 of 10 units is good , the others are leaking upon assembly because of poor machining tolerances thats what I was told but Im sure its as good as a precision .

Id take a system 3 over the 5, too much adjustments on the 5.

9 of 10 Elka stabilizers leak oil, but you’re sure they are as good as a Precision? It doesn’t sound like the Elka are any good at all.

I know a lot of riders with Precision stabilizer and none of them leak.

Dave400ex
01-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I did hear they were back ordered because of problems, but didn't know what.

Tyler get a Precision. You know you loved mine!

rlplive
01-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by machinehead
9 of 10 Elka stabilizers leak oil, but you’re sure they are as good as a Precision? It doesn’t sound like the Elka are any good at all.

I know a lot of riders with Precision stabilizer and none of them leak.
Okay one person said 1 out of ten leak, and one said 9 out of ten leak, then hunter jc actually has one and it does not leak. Then he actually called elka and they said they have not had leaking issues at all. Before everyone calls them junk show some proof that they are actually leaking. Otherwise it's all hearsay

hoser 400ex
01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
all that i know is that they are on backorder for quite a while yet. talking with john at elka and he said they are still having some kind of trouble with parts. i believe its the supplier. soooooo he told me mid-march hmmmmm now what to do, what to do???

Ex_Rider43
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
The supplier IS the problem , not elka. Like I said the ones they are selling will not leak. the wrong dampers starts to leak right after they are assembled at the shop because they are not machined right.

Ty's400
01-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for that clarification Ex_Rider43. That makes more sense, because I couldn't imagine Elka selling/send out a faulty product. So it sounds like it is going to be hard to get a good idea of how they perform or even a test compared to Precision. For all of you that don't think I know about the Precision, you're wrong! Trust me I do and have tried one on my buddy's, they are amazing:D

10-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I would like to re-visit this thread. And, see if there's anyone out there that can give a fair assessment of the Elka vs. the Precision.

hoser 400ex
10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
i cannot give a fair assesment because i did not own both. But i loved my system 3. easy to adjust and it worked!!!

10-26-2007, 11:10 AM
thanks for the reply.
i leaning heavily toward a system 3.

400exrider0004
10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
I have the system 3 and used it this past weekend at rnd 9 of WORCS. It helped tremendously for the rough terrain. It is very easy to adjust. I had little arm pump compared to a race without it. I would recommend it!

Flynbryan19
10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I responded to a thread like this on the "other" site, forgive me if your the same person......

I have a system 3 and I LOVE it. Works great and I have zero leaking problems. I wish I would have gotten it a long time ago. ;)

When it comes to the internet you have to remember that any fool can get on and "CLAIM" to have insider information about problems without ever actually having to verify it.

tank69
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
700 hard desert miles in BAJA on my Elka 3 mounted to an 05 450R. No leaking problem, works great, easy to adjust and the price was right. I don't think you can go wrong with either Precision or Elka, I prefer the Elka products, they are less expensive and work as well, if not better than, any other product out there for me.

national425ex
10-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I responded to a thread like this on the "other" site, forgive me if your the same person......

I have a system 3 and I LOVE it. Works great and I have zero leaking problems. I wish I would have gotten it a long time ago. ;)

When it comes to the internet you have to remember that any fool can get on and "CLAIM" to have insider information about problems without ever actually having to verify it.

whats this "other" site you speak of?