PDA

View Full Version : Changing the head gasket?

BrianWrightR6
09-26-2002, 07:56 AM
I am going to change the head gasket on my 400 this weekend, it is leaking a little oil around it, just asking you all if you have any pointers or any thing to watch out for when I do this?

http://www.lostbob.com/Uploads/400EX 012re.jpg

redrider ex
09-26-2002, 08:13 AM
that you are going to have to reset the timing right and do you know how?

VegasEx'r
09-26-2002, 10:02 AM
FWIW I have been told by a couple of Honda dealers that when there is oil leaking from the head gasket are, it is usually a sign of the head studs being stretched so that it doesn't torque down enough to get a good seal. If that is the case, then changing the gasket may not fix the problem.

Like redrider said, get the timing right & don't let the cam chain drop down into the case. Use a torque wrench.

DarkStarRacing
09-26-2002, 11:36 AM
sick quad what year is it ?

BrianWrightR6
09-26-2002, 12:51 PM
It is a 2001. It is not the entire head but just the head cover. I should not have to mess with the timing any just take the cover off and put a new gasket down, I have heard that the bolts may be stretched also and I bought some new ones also. I tried to torque one down and rang the head of it off. I hope it does not give me allot of trouble. Thanks for the info.

440exnacsracer
09-26-2002, 06:35 PM
just get some silicon gasket maker. i have three bolts broke off on that top part, and at first it leaked. put some gasket maker on it and it dont leak now. i need to fix them. lata