PDA

View Full Version : splitting cases

garrettagr
01-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Anyone ever attempted to split your own cases. All my buddies say take it somewhere to get it done. But i am a guy who says why spend the money when you can take a little time and do it yourself. I dont know if this is even something i would want to try with a junk motor let alone a good one. Let me know what you guys think about me doing it myself.

matt250r21
01-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Get a service manual and the real screw on flywheel puller. Spliting the cases is not too hard.

garrettagr
01-25-2007, 04:56 PM
so there is not a real big chance that i might crack one of them or mess them up. If i split them too, you think that i will be able to put it back together? i will be changing 2nd gear for sure as well. Wondering how hard that would be.

kiesta00
01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
if its your first time tearing down your whole engine, just have a LOT of patience and good organizational skills lol

spent21
01-25-2007, 05:24 PM
i agree with the service manual, matt. get that and a flywheel puller and you will be set. when i first started working on bikes, i had no clue what i was getting into. now i wouldn't hesitate to split the cases on any bike out there. teaching yourself is the best way to learn, however the manual is your yellow brick road.:macho

garrettagr
01-25-2007, 05:35 PM
good. All that i needed was a little reassurance. I am no stranger to pulling down motors at all. Matter of fact i am building a 550 hp monster for my mustang right now. I just had never cut into a quad motor that much. But, if anyone has any other comments or bits of advice i could use it all.

garrettagr
01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
you guys think the clymer manual will work pretty good?

carl250r
01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
clymer is fine

JxxxOxxxE
01-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by garrettagr
you guys think the clymer manual will work pretty good?

I hate the Hayne's for some reason...I really like the Clymer's more...

garrettagr
01-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Where can you get a haynes. All i can find are clymers.

matt250r21
01-26-2007, 06:56 AM
I have both, the Honda service manual and Clymer manual. The more info you have the better. The most difficult thing with the R motor I think, is pulling the main bearings if you dont have a press and getting the main bearing off the ignition side of the crank. Everything else is a snap.

Rich250RRacer
01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I have both, the Honda service manual and Clymer manual. The more info you have the better. The most difficult thing with the R motor I think, is pulling the main bearings if you dont have a press and getting the main bearing off the ignition side of the crank. Everything else is a snap.

If your cases are good, the left side bearing should stay in the case when you press the crank out. Something that most don't know is that 250R's are known to sometimes wear crank bearing bores. If your crank bearings are not a press fit into the cases, it's time to replace them. The same goes for the crank, the left side is a press fit into the bearing. And as I have said dozens of times on here, when reassembling DO NOT try to hammer or pound the crank into the left side, there is a proper tool to do this correctly. If you don't have the tool, you can use a heat sink on the inner race and freeze the crank.