PDA

View Full Version : Burton Chill - Local program ..

orca0294
01-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Over at the local skii hill I work at .. the smallest one in the US I believe. Burton and a bunch of local reps set up something for the chicago kids that are underprivalged. They hook them up with boards, boots, bindings, lessons, and beanies. This is all free for them and its a 6 week program and each group gets to come once a week. Anyone else ever had this at a local hill or mountain? Its real sick that burton stepped up and hooked these kids up.

orca0294
01-24-2007, 09:23 PM
About Chill…
Chill will serve over 2500 disadvantaged boys and girls in 14 North American cities and Sydney, Australia this winter. Chill is an intervention program for disadvantaged inner-city kids, ages 10 to 18. Chill teaches at-risk kids to snowboard over six weeks each winter, giving them everything they need for the experience: lift tickets, instruction, bus transportation and head-to-toe gear.

Chill serves youth who are challenged by a multitude of issues: youth in group homes and foster care; with addictions; from the juvenile justice system; those struggling with drugs, violence, excessive anger, or depression. Many of the kids have never left their cities, even their neighborhoods, and most have never been to the mountains. Chill gives all of these kids the chance to take the lessons they learn on the hill and through their own personal success, become a snowboarder. More than that, Chill helps these youth see beyond their existing negative circumstances and encourages them to focus on positive alternatives for the future.

Kids want to learn to snowboard because it is fun, but it takes several lessons and lots of hard work to learn. We use the vehicle of snowboarding to help kids accomplish goals they never thought they could while teaching them some of the most important lessons of life: patience, persistence, respect, integrity, courage, and pride. These skills are taught by positive adult role models who treat the kids with respect and encouragement, transferring to these youth feelings of self-worth and value.

Jake Burton founded Chill in 1995 in our hometown of Burlington, Vermont to bring snowboarding to kids who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity. The program had such an immediate and profound impact that we have added new cities each year since in hopes of bringing Chill to as many kids as possible. Since our inception, Chill has touched the lives of over 12,000 underprivileged kids.
To make a donation or find out more information visit: www.burton.com/chill.aspx

Last Updated ( Monday, 16 October 2006 )

Article I just found about it ..

honduh440
01-24-2007, 10:18 PM
thats pretty cool ill make sure to purchase some burton stuff when im in breckenridge again

quader400
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
chill always came to raging buffalo a place i board at. its a super tiny hill but yea they would be there its a cool program

ny300exrider
01-25-2007, 07:05 AM
thats awsome, makes me feel alittle bit better about dropping 800 bucks on all new burton gear this season.:D

sly400ex
01-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Ocra, do you work at four lakes in Lisle?

orca0294
01-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Ocra, do you work at four lakes in Lisle?
yeah in the rentals
you go there or work there?

orca0294
01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by quader400
chill always came to raging buffalo a place i board at. its a super tiny hill but yea they would be there its a cool program

yeah I don't think they are going to raging this year but hows the terrain this year there?

sly400ex
01-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by orca0294
yeah in the rentals
you go there or work there?

I've been there for skiing, concerts, and the the pub! Small place, but nice.

01-25-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by orca0294
Over at the local skii hill I work at .. the smallest one in the US I believe. Burton and a bunch of local reps set up something for the chicago kids that are underprivalged. They hook them up with boards, boots, bindings, lessons, and beanies. This is all free for them and its a 6 week program and each group gets to come once a week. Anyone else ever had this at a local hill or mountain? Its real sick that burton stepped up and hooked these kids up.

Is it the official smallest mountain? Because there's one around here that I cant believe anything else being smaller.

But back on topic, the other mountain around here has or had the Chill thing but never knew what it was.

orca0294
01-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Is it the official smallest mountain? Because there's one around here that I cant believe anything else being smaller.

But back on topic, the other mountain around here has or had the Chill thing but never knew what it was.

you couldn't consider it a mountain the vertical drop is around 150 feet and the length is around 350.. it has toe ropes through out the whole hill

I-7
01-26-2007, 04:36 PM

it gets smaller then hidden valley and mt. peter believe it or not :p .

I work at a pretty small ski hill in new york but they have 3 chairlifts so its not too extremely small. The program sounds good.. snowboarding/skiing is a great activity to get involved in.

CDALEMX301
01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
I was gonna say where i work is the smallest out there but i guess our 212 vertical is beat out by your 150 plus we have a triple chair and a t bar haha

sly400ex
01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
One of my friends from back in the day worked there. Jason Springer, do you know him?

Ralph
01-27-2007, 12:46 PM

You talking about campgaw?

Ralph
01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by I-7
it gets smaller then hidden valley and mt. peter believe it or not :p .

I work at a pretty small ski hill in new york but they have 3 chairlifts so its not too extremely small. The program sounds good.. snowboarding/skiing is a great activity to get involved in.

Yeah hidden valley is small to but its like minutes from creek so i dont even know how they stay in buisness

01-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Yeah hidden valley is small to but its like minutes from creek so i dont even know how they stay in buisness

That's what I say too. But all the skies go to Hidden Vally for racing. But the mountain I'm talking about is MT.Peter.

And I-7 I cant believe there can be something smaller than mt. peter, it seems like a waste of time lol

Ralph
01-27-2007, 01:06 PM
Take a look at campgaw mountain. I will put some money down that it is the smallest. It has a bunny hill and the main hill which is one "trail" down the hill. Its more like a big sledding hill.

http://www.skicampgaw.com/images/gallery/pict10.jpg