PDA

View Full Version : Add/adhd

Punk'd
01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Does anyone have this? Im 17 and I think that I might.

School is very hard for me I can never seem to pay attention or sit threw a lesson without day dreaming to the point to where I have no Idea whats going on. I can try so hard to pay attention, but my mind always wonders. Also at night I will lay there for hours on end thinking about stuff so STUPID. Im also easily distracted by stupid stuff and cannot read without forgetting what I have just read.

Im going to the doctor for it, but I have to get my teachers to sign some form. Whats that about? How are they suppost to know whats going on inside my head? So my help lies in the hands of my teachers?:rolleyes:

If anyone can explain the process of what you have to do for the test the doctor gives you or anything else for that matter about this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TGW_400ex
01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm 19 and have the same problem. My mom wants me to goto the doctor but I think I can work threw it.

troutman561
01-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Yea I was told I had ADD when i was younger, they put me on riddelin (sp?) and what not but i ended up stopping taking it, wasn't needed.. Turned out I was hyper because I was an 8 year old.... But there is always the cases you could have it.. Go talk to a doctor and hopefully they dont put you on something just because they can... But good luck hopefully you can.. oh wow look over there thats freakin awesome no way!

Punk'd
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
I'm 19 and have the same problem. My mom wants me to goto the doctor but I think I can work threw it.

Exact opposite here. My mom doesnt think I have it but she knows nothing about it. She tells me I wouldnt be able to ride my 4wheeler if I had it. So its really hard for me to get treatment or even go to the doctor.

honduh440
01-24-2007, 10:16 PM
hahahaa

WhiteYFZ
01-24-2007, 10:24 PM
i also think i might have this.. i will be in class, and trying to pay attention and just start thinking aobut other things (mostly my quad lol) but its worse when i read.. i can read a whole page then not remember what i read 1 second later cuz i wasnt paying attention.. but if i'm reading something that i like (quads/computers) then im fine..

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 10:28 PM
I think its caused from bordem in class....atleast that was the problem with me when I was in school:p

Punk'd
01-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
I think its caused from bordem in class....atleast that was the problem with me when I was in school:p

Yeah thats what I thought as well, but its not just in class. Alot of this stuff happens at home.

Here are some symptoms..

--Adult ADHD Symptoms--

-Inattention—More than occasionally "wandering off" mentally

-Distracted by irrelevant sights or sounds
-Misses details or makes careless mistakes
-Has difficulty following instructions
-Loses and forgets things

-"Can't sit still."—The adult version of what you'd consider "hyperactivity" in a child

-Fidgets or gets up and roams around the room.

All of these describe me.

I was just wondering how this test the doctors going to give is going to be like and if getting treatment is really worth all of this.

Thanks

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
-Distracted by irrelevant sights or sounds
-Loses and forgets things

-"Can't sit still."—The adult version of what you'd consider "hyperactivity" in a child

-Fidgets or gets up and roams around the room.

This is me. I will be working on my quad put the wrench down and all of a sudden it gone:confused: lol I hate sitting still too. I would go insane if I couldn't get on the net here at work.

Maybe it cuz i have 6 Concusions..........:ermm:

01-25-2007, 05:24 AM
I'm not a doctor, so take this opinion accordingly.

ADD / ADHD diagnoses are CRAP 90% of the time.

Example - child diagnosed ADD / ADHD cuz he can't pay attention in school, but he CAN sit still and play video games for six hours non-stop. It is NOT an inability to focus mentally - its simply a matter of WHAT is being focused on.

First universal truth of life - We ALL lack mental discipline, in varying degrees. Second universal truth of life - we all find a way to do the things we REALLY want to do.

I think its a crime a doctor would tell you "You are mentally broken, you need drugs." (see my 90% of the time, above. There are sure to be a few legit cases of ADD / ADHD)

I think you can beat this thing IF IF IF you really want to. Focus your mind. When you start to wander mentally, REfocus your mind. I beleive you are capable to whip this thing, I don't think you are broken. Find a doctor that will help you kick this thing WITHOUT drugs.

(FWIW, the Bible says a stable mind is one focused on God, and His Word. If you are willing to give that a try, email me)

Another point -

I think its wrong so called "educators" think a hyperactive mind is a bad thing. Fact is, not everyone is cut out for book learning, and a quick mind, one that can rapidly process data and handle rapid inputs of information (i.e. gets bored with slow inputs of information) is a gift from God and enables you to do things others can't do.

I suspect these "educators" are only capable of educating ONE type of student (slow input processors) and so they try to cram everyone into that box.

If you have such a mind, there are LOTS of ways you can use it, and I think its criminal some docs want to drug you up and take that unique ability away from you.

Now, go see a REAL doctor, and think about what I've said. Don't let that doc take you down a road you aren't comfortable with.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by garandman
I'm not a doctor, so take this opinion accordingly.

ADD / ADHD diagnoses are CRAP 90% of the time.

Example - child diagnosed ADD / ADHD cuz he can't pay attention in school, but he CAN sit still and play video games for six hours non-stop. It is NOT an inability to focus mentally - its simply a matter of WHAT is being focused on.

First universal truth of life - We ALL lack mental discipline, in varying degrees. Second universal truth of life - we all find a way to do the things we REALLY want to do.

I think its a crime a doctor would tell you "You are mentally broken, you need drugs." (see my 90% of the time, above. There are sure to be a few legit cases of ADD / ADHD)

I think you can beat this thing IF IF IF you really want to. Focus your mind. When you start to wander mentally, REfocus your mind. I beleive you are capable to whip this thing, I don't think you are broken. Find a doctor that will help you kick this thing WITHOUT drugs.

(FWIW, the Bible says a stable mind is one focused on God, and His Word. If you are willing to give that a try, email me)

Another point -

I think its wrong so called "educators" think a hyperactive mind is a bad thing. Fact is, not everyone is cut out for book learning, and a quick mind, one that can rapidly process data and handle rapid inputs of information (i.e. gets bored with slow inputs of information) is a gift from God and enables you to do things others can't do.

I suspect these "educators" are only capable of educating ONE type of student (slow input processors) and so they try to cram everyone into that box.

If you have such a mind, there are LOTS of ways you can use it, and I think its criminal some docs want to drug you up and take that unique ability away from you.

Now, go see a REAL doctor, and think about what I've said. Don't let that doc take you down a road you aren't comfortable with.

Agreed

I have a younger brother who was diagnosed as a younger child with ADHD.... from what I hear from you guys... NONE of you have it!!!!

Your symptoms sound like every other teen on the planet who would rather be riding then at school...no surprise.

My brother was literally off the wall... he couldn't sit down and eat a meal without doing something else, even enjoyable things that you might like doing... he couldn't do. Baseball? He would maybe make it through half an inning before he decided he wanted to go do something else. He used to be on ridalin as well, but after he would come down off of it, he was worse!

Also please take very careful consideration before going through with this. Once diagnosed, which isn't very hard because 90% of the time its wrong, you could possibly face being put in the classes with the slower children, and by state law you now are technically mentally diseased. My brother, who seems to have done a 180 degree turnaround since his childhood and calmed down a LOT, gets letter from the state, about helping him with employment and if he wants to continue college, he needs to see an aid.

This will effect your life in the long run, and IMO you guys do not have it. I was the same way when I was in school as you guys, and you do not have it, trust me.

How long can you go ride a quad for? More than 10 minutes? Yeah you dont have it so dont do it to yourself.

rbgnwa45
01-25-2007, 06:13 AM
I have this same problem. I also have trouble getting up in the morning, doing any kind of labour, and bordem :eek2: I Theenk I mait be seek :huh

Cody_300ex
01-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia when I was in elementary school. I've gotten way better over the years but when I was younger I couldnt do anything! I would always get up and just wander around class, When I got 1/2 threw an assignment I would get bored with it and want to do other stuff. They tried ridilen and some other type of medicene, but it just made me get mad and crappy attitudes, so they took me off it. Today I can still have my moments but Im not nearly as bad. Im 15 and in the 10th grade, I do get help from resource teachers but I take regular classes.

bwamos
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I have Adult ADD (not ADHD).
I don't take any meds. Don't need them if you can learn to adjust. Diet helps a LOT, beleive it or not.

Here's an adult add/adhd tests you can take to give you an idea.

"http://www.addresources.org/article_checklist.php"

There's a good one I can't find at the moment. It differentiates ADD from ADHD.

You're old enough.. and it's a better evaluation IMHO, because you can apply it outside of the schoolroom where course redundancy, and cabin fever aren't the cause of restlessness or inattention/

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by bwamos

You're old enough.. and it's a better evaluation IMHO, because you can apply it outside of the schoolroom where course redundancy, and cabin fever aren't the cause of restlessness or inattention/

Exactly... so many younger children are diagnosed with this it amazes me.... hello they're 8... they're kids.... they do crazy stuff!!

Punk'd
01-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Agreed

I have a younger brother who was diagnosed as a younger child with ADHD.... from what I hear from you guys... NONE of you have it!!!!

Your symptoms sound like every other teen on the planet who would rather be riding then at school...no surprise.

My brother was literally off the wall... he couldn't sit down and eat a meal without doing something else, even enjoyable things that you might like doing... he couldn't do. Baseball? He would maybe make it through half an inning before he decided he wanted to go do something else. He used to be on ridalin as well, but after he would come down off of it, he was worse!

Also please take very careful consideration before going through with this. Once diagnosed, which isn't very hard because 90% of the time its wrong, you could possibly face being put in the classes with the slower children, and by state law you now are technically mentally diseased. My brother, who seems to have done a 180 degree turnaround since his childhood and calmed down a LOT, gets letter from the state, about helping him with employment and if he wants to continue college, he needs to see an aid.

This will effect your life in the long run, and IMO you guys do not have it. I was the same way when I was in school as you guys, and you do not have it, trust me.

How long can you go ride a quad for? More than 10 minutes? Yeah you dont have it so dont do it to yourself.

When I was younger that was exactly me. I was all over the place just like your brother. Teachers litterally begged my parents to send me to the doctor to get tested. My parents never thought it was needed so I did not go. I even thought it was bull.

My symptoms do describe "ADULT ADD" Lets not get this mixed with ADHD. So there is nothing wrong with going to get tested. I am a mature 17 year old. Im not going to get tested for no reason. I may have it way worse than some of you, I may not. Im a Jr. in highschool I think id know by now if it was time to step it up and do something rather than let it go on and fail.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 01:51 PM
When I was younger that was exactly me. I was all over the place just like your brother. Teachers litterally begged my parents to send me to the doctor to get tested. My parents never thought it was needed so I did not go. I even thought it was bull.

My symptoms do describe "ADULT ADD" Lets not get this mixed with ADHD. So there is nothing wrong with going to get tested. I am a mature 17 year old. Im not doing this for the hell of it.

I didn't mean to accuse you of it, if thats how you took that, but all Im saying is think about it long and hard first because its like a tag and will follow you for the rest of your life. You've concentrated long enough to come back to this post and type all this stuff up.......:blah:

Punk'd
01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't mean to accuse you of it, if thats how you took that, but all Im saying is think about it long and hard first because its like a tag and will follow you for the rest of your life. You've concentrated long enough to come back to this post and type all this stuff up.......:blah:

No im not bashing you one bit. I appreciate the information you've posted and im not that bad to where I only visit a post once and then leave. I created this post so I can get some info on ADD before I acually went to get tested.

I just wanted to know what the test consist of and what all I have to do.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 01:59 PM
No im not bashing you one bit. I appreciate the information you've posted and im not that bad to where I only visit a post once and then leave. I created this post so I can get some info on ADD before I acually went to get tested.

I just wanted to know what the test consist of and what all I have to do.

Im actually not too sure about the testing itself, as both my brother and I were young at the time. I remember my family taking it pretty hard that he was ADHD positive... I dont know why but whatever. It actually seems that he figured out at an early age that he could use his diagnosis as an excuse for stupid stuff he did. Little bugger. He is 18 now and has since then relaxed and become and entirely new person. There are still times when he has his moments but I would definitely say he is not ADHD anymore. I could find out for you what they do, my mom would know for sure and I have a whole bunch of informational stuff at home as well, someone else on here who has been through it should be able to tell you sooner than I can though.

Punk'd
01-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Im actually not too sure about the testing itself, as both my brother and I were young at the time. I remember my family taking it pretty hard that he was ADHD positive... I dont know why but whatever. It actually seems that he figured out at an early age that he could use his diagnosis as an excuse for stupid stuff he did. Little bugger. He is 18 now and has since then relaxed and become and entirely new person. There are still times when he has his moments but I would definitely say he is not ADHD anymore. I could find out for you what they do, my mom would know for sure and I have a whole bunch of informational stuff at home as well, someone else on here who has been through it should be able to tell you sooner than I can though.

If you can find out or someone can tell me that would be greatly appreciated:)

blasterfreak99
01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
i also think i might have this.. i will be in class, and trying to pay attention and just start thinking aobut other things (mostly my quad lol) but its worse when i read.. i can read a whole page then not remember what i read 1 second later cuz i wasnt paying attention.. but if i'm reading something that i like (quads/computers) then im fine..

exact same here

sakirocket28
01-25-2007, 03:38 PM
i think i ADD too...ill be sitting in class, and in my mind i know that i need to be paying attention so i can understand it..but i just cant focus, my mind races, i daydream alot, and just cant remember what i JUST learned..and i find myself forgetting stuff i learned just a few days ago.

I keep telling my parents i need to get checked out, and my teachers have recommended it..but they just tell me to quit being lazy and get my $**** together...verrrry frustrating. im 17, and can make these observations about whats going on..and it just dosent seem to sink in to them..

the only questions i have about going on medications are, what are some of the side affects? i do bodybuilding and keep a steady diet, and iv heard that some of the bedications cause loss of appetite and a few other things..does anyone know anything about this?

coolex
01-25-2007, 04:10 PM
first off most ppl want it as a easy way out, every teenager daydreams and so on cant rememebr reading so on,

i have add not adhd i used to be on medication but i got depressed pretty bad, u ahve to go to add counselers ( it wasnt for depresion either) just to check on progress and so one, i had to give them report card dating back to like 4th grade im a junior now and they made a graph and showed how my grades have been lowering steadily since, im not on medication ne more and still hard to consentrate but would rather not take medicine, also teachers liek try to over help u (yes for someppl it sounds like the easy way out) but i didnt want teachers reading things for me, it just takes me longer than normal i hope this helps

also when i went they asked me if ive been to the movies lately and i siad yes and they ask wat its about and i knew wbut then they ask details na di wasnt to sure about them even though i liked the movie thats wen ethey looked more into it,

dunnonuttin
01-25-2007, 07:09 PM
i have adhd, i can never sit still too long in school and i just start thinkin about other junk and all

LTZ400rider
01-25-2007, 07:46 PM
they said i had it, the only medicine that made me pay attention was adderall, and thats because its like doin coke, i slept all day and it was boring.

today they diagnose every kid with add, its just some scam to make money, i know some kids have it but just because u dont pay attention it means ur bored.

TGW_400ex
01-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I think ADD is really having a imagination.

Kaleigh
01-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Exact opposite here. My mom doesnt think I have it but she knows nothing about it. She tells me I wouldnt be able to ride my 4wheeler if I had it. So its really hard for me to get treatment or even go to the doctor.

you should let her read up on it on the internet.. there are lots of sites about it.. ADD can get pretty bad an annoying.. not being able to sit down an listen to people.. always moving around in your seat or playing with something in your hand.. thats why i have a PDA, PSP and other geeky stuff.. keeps me busy.. you'll realize at times you can really pay attention to something.. usually something that you are very interested in.. also you tend to go from one thing to another kinda like scanning TV stations..

Kaleigh
01-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
they said i had it, the only medicine that made me pay attention was adderall, and thats because its like doin coke, i slept all day and it was boring.

today they diagnose every kid with add, its just some scam to make money, i know some kids have it but just because u dont pay attention it means ur bored.

that is very true .. i dont understand how parents and dr can say an 8 year old kid can have add/adhd.. they just dont sit still to begin with.. money is a big thing in diagnosis.. think about how much money is made on giving some kid pills for ADD.. look how many parents think their kids have ADD just cause the kid is Hyper.. All kids are hyper.. if not.. then you have a problem..

coolex
01-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by dunnonuttin
i have adhd, i can never sit still too long in school and i just start thinkin about other junk and all

jmo u dnt have it no one in school can just sit there, adhd is when u cant even sit down for supper and finish it, or when u go riding u stop often to do somehting else not just to take breaks

01-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
I think ADD is really having a imagination.

Exactly.

And it should be cultivated and harnessed for accomplishing great things, not drugged up, demonized and repressed so that teachers can have an easy day in the classroom.

I am STUNNED at all the people that think they have ADD / ADHD in this thread.

PLEASE people don't buy into this ADD / ADHD crap.

400exrider707
01-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by garandman
Exactly.

And it should be cultivated and harnessed for accomplishing great things, not drugged up, demonized and repressed so that teachers can have an easy day in the classroom.

I am STUNNED at all the people that think they have ADD / ADHD in this thread.

PLEASE people don't buy into this ADD / ADHD crap.

Exactly.... I couldn't agree more... I have witnessed adhd firsthand with my little brother, and so far it doesn't sound like any of you have add or adhd.... daydreaming in class... reading a page and not remembering a single thing of what you read because you were thinking about riding.... this is NOT ADD, you are just bored like every other kid on the planet!!

It is not very common to have ADD/ADHD, yet all of you seem to think you have it, and it is VERY commonly misdiagnosed.

Do you think I have ADD because I keep going away from my work to come on exriders and talk about nonsense? No, I just dont like work!:blah:

coolex
01-26-2007, 08:16 AM
Exactly.... I couldn't agree more... I have witnessed adhd firsthand with my little brother, and so far it doesn't sound like any of you have add or adhd.... daydreaming in class... reading a page and not remembering a single thing of what you read because you were thinking about riding.... this is NOT ADD, you are just bored like every other kid on the planet!!

It is not very common to have ADD/ADHD, yet all of you seem to think you have it, and it is VERY commonly misdiagnosed.

Do you think I have ADD because I keep going away from my work to come on exriders and talk about nonsense? No, I just dont like work!:blah:

exacly i was diagnosed with it, couldnt even keep a converstaion about things i like longer than a couple sentenses, when i took medicine it made me depressed and now im off of the meds i still have really bad moments but its better than being deppresed all day.

coolex
01-26-2007, 08:19 AM
and yes every one thinks its the easy way out to go get riddelin and just be focused and its all easy but it can have severe sidaffects, even make u suicidal, for a while i didnt think life was worht living when i was on the meds (no i dindt cut my rists or try to commit suicide) every kid in my whole high school think they have it, but like mentioned before it will folow u for a while.