PDA

View Full Version : Elka

bigz-71
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I am interested in becoming a certified in servicing shocks, like elka, axis, pep, etc. I wonder what you have to do to become a certified service department and what tools do you need. It was just a thought that ran through my head the other day and i am curious if it is possible.

orca0294
01-24-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd call them up but I bet you have to run some sort of business or have a store front to become certified. Most atv distributors will not distribute unless you have a store front therefore I don't think they will certify you without some sort of business backround going on.

400exrider707
01-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Almost anyone can sell them if you have a business... but I know with elkas, you need to take their service class and become certified to service them.

protraxrptr17
01-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Elka will tell you a bunch of BS about how they are the only ones in the world who can service them properly because they have a special top secret machine for bleeding the air. I've already been through all that with them. The best way to learn is just to experiment on your own shocks. You will need a cylinder of nitrogen, a hose, a regulator, and a fill valve. You can get the cylinder , hose, and regulator from your local welding supply. You can get the fill valve from any place that deals with off road racing supplies. The valve lets you disconnect from the schrader valve without loosing any pressure. You must have this valve. You will also need alot of shock fluid. I didn't need any special tools for my Elkas. You will need some shims too. It's not the black art that most people make it out to be.

bigz-71
01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
sounds like it not too hard but i would not know. I would think as long as you make to look at everything as you take it apart, it goes back together the same way. So protrax where in AR do you live, you interested in teaching me?

protraxrptr17
01-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm about 50 miles south of Pine Bluff. You don't need me to teach you. The hardest thing is to get the air out. The valving part is simple. Just a bunch of shims. Just move them around and change diameters and thicknesses.