PDA

View Full Version : okay to ride with no silencer packing?

Crazy lil punk
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
will it harm my motor? just noticed there is none left in there.
thanks, Joe

ChvyCruzen
01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
IDK, I heard it could make your motor run lean

Crazy lil punk
01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by ChvyCruzen
IDK, I heard it could make your motor run lean

ahh, thanks, anyone else know? how hard is it to repack?

250r4life
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
no, it will not make your motor run lean... just loud...

and no, it is not difficult to pack... take it apart and you will see how simple it is...

matt250r21
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Nothing sounds worse then a ratty blown silencer

ChvyCruzen
01-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Ahh I was wrong

86 Quad R
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM
as stated. it wont hurt a thang. to repack is easy. after removing the rear tip, take a straightened cloths hanger and make a slight hook. this aids in pulling out the old stuff.

to install the new, you simply roll the new packing tight onto a tube that is slightly larger than the center tube inside the silencer. after you've done this, you are ready to place it inside the silencer. after its fully inserted, take and slide the tube from the silencer. the packing will then expand inplace.

atvmxr
01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
IT WILL RUN LEAN!!, granted you can rejet to richen it up. That was what destroyed my last motor. Packing was coming out during pratice. When to moto 1 and about 2 laps in, my piston melted.....
now maybe if you are putting around its ok, but when you are hammering the hell out of it on a MX track without rejetting you will have a melt down

250r4life
01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
IT WILL RUN LEAN!!, granted you can rejet to richen it up. That was what destroyed my last motor. Packing was coming out during pratice. When to moto 1 and about 2 laps in, my piston melted.....
now maybe if you are putting around its ok, but when you are hammering the hell out of it on a MX track without rejetting you will have a melt down

i hate to tell ya but i think you gave credit to the wrong thing for your melt down...

there are several different things that can cause a piston to go... and having your packing coming out is not one of them...

carl250r
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
they run better with the packing in,

it helps the sound pulse bounce back. that sound pulse helps scavenge the exhaust out of the cylinder. it is all part of a tuned exhaust pipe.

i know they have drag pipes without scilencers. but that is something else those are balls to the wall top end HP machines.

Crazy lil punk
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
yeah, thanks for the info, by all means I'm replacing the silencer, just wanted to know if it was cool to ride it that weekend.

7 speed
01-30-2007, 01:11 PM
All you will loose is a little TQ off your bottom end.

01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by 7 speed
All you will loose is a little TQ off your bottom end.

The real things that happen when no packing is used:
Turblance (spinning air) BAD
top end gain GOOD
bottom end loss BAD
Lean jetting BAD
loud BAD