PDA

View Full Version : another ut-oh

kosta104
01-24-2007, 07:48 PM
i was riding today and i went to use my rear brake and pop! it felt like a popped my rear brake or something. there was fluid leaking from where the e-brake line goes into the caliper. Anyone know what the problem is? now im leaking fuid from the caliper and i have to rear brake.

j450rking
01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
it sounds like you just need to put some rvt in between the caliper and the e-brake plate thing just take off the 2 bolts and try that wait over night and try it if that dosn't work then idk what is wrong there might be an internal seal that broke

kalebarellano
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Get an e-brake block off. There like $8 on rockymountainatv.com

svahle
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
The problem will not be a seal for the e-brake assembly or a block off plate. There should not be fluid in that area anyway.

The caliper piston has a shaft that exits through the caliper. This shaft is pushed into the caliper by the e-brake assembly to apply constant pressure to the disc. The e-brake block off just eliminates the e-brake assembly. However, the shaft from the piston still sticks out of the caliper. There is an O-ring that keeps fluid from leaking around the piston's shaft. That is what you will need to replace if in fact the fluid is leaking from that area.

There are other seals in the caliper that can leak as well but my experience is that the O-ring described above is the most likely candidate. You might also check you brake line. If the brake line is leaking fluid will escape, fun down the brake line onto the calipers, and can make you think the fluid is coming from the caliper.

I hope this helps.

kosta104
01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
i just checked out the brakelines and caliper and the whole brake assembly. it looks like the brake fluid is seeping into the e-brake and coming out of ebrake shaft. is that the O ring you mention?

svahle
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Yes. The O-ring is in the hole in the caliper where the shaft exits. It is only a few bucks from Honda. You will have to remove the piston from the caliper to install the O-ring.

To do this, remove the caliper and pads. Remove the e-brake assembly. To remove the piston from the caliper, use a punch and hammer. Just put the punch on the shaft of the piston and tap it with the hammer. This will push the piston out the other side. Remove the old O-ring and put in the new one. I would go ahead and get some brake caliper cleaner and clean up the caliper while its apart. Remove all rubber seals before spraying the caliper with the cleaner because that stuff will eat up plastic and rubber.

When reinstalling the piston be careful not to pinch any of the seals. There will be two seals around the piston and the O-ring you are replacing. It might be a good idea to go ahead and replace the seals around the piston just as preventative maintenance while the caliper is apart.

Another thing you should do is grease the slider pins to make sure they slide smoothly. If the pins have any rust, remove it with a wire brush or fine sand paper.

Then, I would add an e-brake block off plate. They are pretty cheap on ebay. The e-brake can cause the pads to drag and wear out prematurely. If you remove the e-brake assembly and don't add the block off plate dirt will cause the O-ring you just replaced to fail again.

Of course, once everything is back together you will need to bleed the brake lines. Do a search on this forum for helpful hints on bleeding brakes.

Good luck. If you have any trouble just post the questions here and I'll help all I can. I've done this a few times so I think I can probably walk you through any issues you might have.