PDA

View Full Version : wont run

400excaleb
01-24-2007, 07:21 PM
well i can warm it up and then let it sit and idle and i got the idel up pretty high and about 30 secounds of it idlein then it will idel slower and slower until it dies.

AbnMP13
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
What jets are you using?

400excaleb
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by AbnMP13
What jets are you using?

i got a 150 main, 38 pilot, 2 3/4 turns out on screw, and stock needle setting, and the plug looks great

idro
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
check the gas, check the gapping? Put new gas in if it has been sitting up, winter time will do that. I try to go downstairs and let mine run for about 5-10 minutes every night. If i don't its a beesh to start.

AbnMP13
01-25-2007, 03:57 AM
Airbox open or closed? Snorkel?

400excaleb
01-25-2007, 10:33 AM
air box closed

AbnMP13
01-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry, I'm lost, maybe PM HornetGod13, he helped me jet mine. My gut feeling says to try a smaller jet, do/can you get pics of the plug?

400excaleb
01-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I'm lost, maybe PM HornetGod13, he helped me jet mine. My gut feeling says to try a smaller jet, do/can you get pics of the plug?

iv tried to tak pic but always blurry and cant tell, but on the plug in the middle ( whatever it is called) is brown as a brown paper bag and the outter edge is black.

Honda#4
01-25-2007, 07:50 PM
whats your elevation at? Up the pilot from a 38 to a 40 that will make it run better at idle.

ryandu
01-26-2007, 03:41 AM
I'd start out not with jetting, but drain all your fuel and get you some shell 93oct, and flush it through. Sounds like water or bad fuel.

also, never use octane boost from walmart or whatever, its crap.

Pipeless416
01-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
whats your elevation at? Up the pilot from a 38 to a 40 that will make it run better at idle.

i agree with this. going back to a 148 during the winter will only cause a leaner condition, but instead you want just a little bit richer at idle. try a 40 or 42. i think most 400's are this way though. mine does the same exact thing until its been ridden for a while.

hornetgod13
01-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Sorry I must have missed this thread earlier.
I believe the issue is your pilot jet. It needs to be bumped up to atleast a 40K. You're lean on your pilot curcuit. I would bet you a 152 main jet could help you too.
Bottom line is put a larger pilot jet in and bump you're idle screw up a tad bit and you'll see a significant improvement.

AbnMP13
01-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Sorry I must have missed this thread earlier.

Where ya been? You owe us some pushups for missing this thread! :D

hornetgod13
01-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm getting a little tired of replying to the weekly jetting threads. You can take them now. You've been trained. You and Honda#4 can handle them. I'll sit back and watch the threads go by.

kalebarellano
01-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Check you valves. I had an xr200, and when I got it it never idled. I always had to give it gas, and stay on it, until it got real warm. I adjusted my valves, and I was so amazed it started right up with no throttle. I just kicked it and it idled. I was really impressed with what a difference it made.

Another thing, is when they get cold they need more gas to start and idle. Try turning your idle up a little bit. I have had a xr200 and xr400, and both when it was real cold out I would always give the idle a turn or two up then start it up. If you turn it up alot, you will probably want to turn it down once the bike is warm or it will idle high.

I have also had gas problems. How long has you bike sat? Have you left the gas on?If it has sat with the gas on. What will happen is the gas will evaporate from the carb, leaving gummy crap (usually yellowish) in your carb. You may want to pull your carb apart and give it a good cleaning with some carb cleaner. Spray all the jets out and then blow them out with air compressor. If you go through the trouble of cleaning the carb, you should probably go ahead and dump the gas out too. You will need to either pull the tank and dump it out through the fill, or remove the petcock, and let it drain from there. I would pull the tank cause if you remove the petcock there will be a good chance that yo will need to replace the seal that seals the petcock to the gas tank. Also if you just remove the petcock you will get gas everywhere.

Good Luck!

Honda#4
01-26-2007, 08:03 PM
I love to answer jetting questions, so if anyone has them just ask you know where to find me. Hornetgod13 has been answering a lot of jetting questions lately I have to admit cus I usually answer behind him. He knows his stuff though.

AbnMP13
01-26-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm getting a little tired of replying to the weekly jetting threads. You can take them now. You've been trained. You and Honda#4 can handle them. I'll sit back and watch the threads go by.

I'm still in training though! LOL Maybe I can be Honda#4's apprentice.

400excaleb
01-26-2007, 08:26 PM
i adjusted my valves last friday and then rode saturday, and i had ran all the gas out of it and filled it up with new gas out of the pump, and it ran good when i rode it on sat, but i noticed it doin it after i washed it on wed.

Honda#4
01-26-2007, 08:28 PM
no problem, I'm here to get the job done so people can sleep at night knowing they don't have to worry about jetting there quad in the morning.

hornetgod13
01-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 400excaleb
i adjusted my valves last friday and then rode saturday, and i had ran all the gas out of it and filled it up with new gas out of the pump, and it ran good when i rode it on sat, but i noticed it doin it after i washed it on wed.

Sounds like you got water in it somewhere. Did you use a presuure washer?

AbnMP13
01-27-2007, 06:34 AM
or he could have done like me,

turned off fuel,
stood the bike on it's grab bar,
washed bike real good,
put it back on all 4's,
tried to start it,
replaced plug,
killed battery,
pushed to shed,
tried all the above next day,

then finally remembered to TURN FUEL BACK ON! :D

hornetgod13
01-27-2007, 07:59 AM
or he could have done like me,

turned off fuel,
stood the bike on it's grab bar,
washed bike real good,
put it back on all 4's,
tried to start it,
replaced plug,
killed battery,
pushed to shed,
tried all the above next day,

then finally remembered to TURN FUEL BACK ON! :D

DOOH!

To be honest, I've forgotten too.
One time I ran out of gas and went to switch it to RESERVE but switch it to OFF by mistake. I nearly ran the battery dead until I realized it and turn it the rest of the way to RESERVE.

Honda#4
01-27-2007, 09:43 AM
I've ran my bike out of gas twice once on my stock tank and the other on my IMS tank. My tank still is'nt big enough LOL!!.

400excaleb
01-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you got water in it somewhere. Did you use a presuure washer?

no i dont use a pressure washer cause it blew all the clear coat off my plastic, and it runs fine if i keep the throttel in, then let it to idle and idels fine then about 30 sec later idles slower and slower till dies

hornetgod13
01-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Adjust your idle screw. Is you air filter clean? Fuel valve on? Choke on?

400excaleb
01-27-2007, 08:10 PM
fuel on, idle screw is wide open, filter clean, choke off but warmed all the way up

hornetgod13
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Turn your idle adjustment screw a half turn clockwise. Sounds like you have it turned all the way down. They can vibrate and lose the correct adjustment. Turn the screw Clockwise. The motor will spedd up a bit at idle. That should do it.

400excaleb
01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Turn your idle adjustment screw a half turn clockwise. Sounds like you have it turned all the way down. They can vibrate and lose the correct adjustment. Turn the screw Clockwise. The motor will spedd up a bit at idle. That should do it.
thats not it cause it wont turn any futher so its all the way open

hornetgod13
01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 400excaleb
thats not it cause it wont turn any futher so its all the way open

It's turned all the way "CLOCKWISE"??? The idle should be through the roof. COUNTER CLOCKWISE slows the idle. It honestly sounds like you have it turned all the way COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Open it up a half turn.

400excaleb
01-30-2007, 06:03 PM
It's turned all the way "CLOCKWISE"??? The idle should be through the roof. COUNTER CLOCKWISE slows the idle. It honestly sounds like you have it turned all the way COUNTER CLOCKWISE. Open it up a half turn.
im tellin u it is all the way up, i have the stock pilot jet, u think i should change it to a 42 and that would make it better

hornetgod13
01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
With all the mods you have you must put a 40 or 42 pilot jet in. You are so lean. That's probably your problem.