PDA

View Full Version : ignition ?

Hondaboy007
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
everyone is talking about the ignition upgrade. what does all that entail......does the ignition have to be like an esr or can it be a stock cr 250 ignition. what all do you have to get to do the conversion right? like new cdi box etc....................?

ChvyCruzen
01-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Do a search. I made a post about how to tell what year CR ignition you've got and how to wire it up. I think you gotta run the adapter plate to make it work.

matt250r21
01-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Just buy the ESR kit. It has everything you need and is alot easier then playing the ebay game. You need the ESR or CT adapter plate anyways.

ChvyCruzen
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
I heard that the CT adapter plate allows for more fine tuning of advancing and retarding the ignition. ESR is limited and I think the lowest advanced you can run is 5 degrees. I have the ESR and I think it's set up at 5 degrees advanced. I got the ignition from Chuckie when I bought his bottom end. I'm still learning it, I added a 14oz weight to make it more trailable. It's pretty "snappy" without a weight, revs real fast.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Chev,
So you got the weight, give some details on what it did adding it.
Neil

ChvyCruzen
01-25-2007, 07:42 AM
Neil-

Haven't had a chance to ride yet because of all this snow we've been getting. I notice that the engine will lug down pretty good and not die out. When you rev it pretty good it also takes a while to come down on the revs.
Matt

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2007, 10:32 AM
How is that weight made, it have to be welded in place, bolts, rivets ??.
Neil

ChvyCruzen
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Its a Steahly 14oz weight for 01 CR250R ... it threads on the crankshaft and mounts flush against the flywheel. You'll need an impact wrench to get it on nice and tight, then there's 4 set screws that tighten on the outside of the flywheel. It fits under the stock stator cover as well. No welding no nothing, just thread it on and set the set screws. Took me about 20 minutes all together to put it on. I did have to modify the mounting adapter to fit my impact wrench (only needed longer screws and washers).

If you get one yourself you'll see what I'm talking about.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Are you saying the weight, how its made takes the place of the nut, or the weight screws into the flywheel.
Neil

ChvyCruzen
01-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I should have been more clear, sometimes I over complicate things - sorry :rolleyes:

Yes, it takes place of the nut. When you tighten it, it presses up against the flywheel. Then you tighten the set screws. This is for a 01 CR250R, it has to be because of the outside diameter of the flywheel. The CR flywheel is a lot smaller than the TRX.

ChvyCruzen
01-25-2007, 11:25 AM
When the weight is fully tightened, it actually overlaps the flywheel a little. It has to so the set screws can be tightened.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I see, the weight is concaved like on the inside & those set screws are for locking it all together.
I might need to check into that weight for Andreas R this season, might help her a little, got a address.

Ohh, got that letter in the mail the other day, forgot to tell you.
Thanks Neil

ChvyCruzen
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Ohh yes. I've been meaning to ask you if you got the letter or not. Glad to hear you got it.

I bought my Steahly weight from RockyMountainATV.com. Let me see if I can get a specific link. Ahh yes here it is - 2001 CR250R Steahly Weight (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=6068&navTitle=Engine&webCatId=17&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=203&navType=type)

You can select between 8, 10, 12 and 14 oz. Some guys have told me that even with the 14oz it's still lighter than stock. I bought the 14 and it seems like it will help make it more trailable, but I also think its almost too heavy. Probably could have gone with 12 and still be alright. I only ride trails, never race.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks
Neil

mxduner
01-26-2007, 08:17 AM
flywheel weights are real popular in the 2 wheel market.they work great to smooth the powerband on 2 strokes especially and aid in traction.c-leigh i bought 1 for my girls bike and she loved it hope this helps.

ChvyCruzen
01-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by mxduner
flywheel weights are real popular in the 2 wheel market.they work great to smooth the powerband on 2 strokes especially and aid in traction.c-leigh i bought 1 for my girls bike and she loved it hope this helps.

I hope you're not calling me a sissy!! :D

I bought mine purely for traction reasons, I ride some hardcore trails and the cr ignition is pretty light so I figure a weight would help balance things out.