PDA

View Full Version : Why can't the GNCC do this?

Rich250RRacer
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I know this is a disputed topic, but what I saw this past weekend got me thinking about it again. I've raced alot of GNCC's over the last nine years, and while I enjoy the series, I've been a very big critic of the POOR year-end awards that racers receive. When you consider the amount of money that racers spend each year, receiving $600-800 (for first place) in prizes doesn't seem like much. I understand that the main reason we do this is for fun and friendship, but a little more at the end of the year wouldn't hurt. There are regulars on here who will defend the GNCC to the end, stating what it costs to put on a race, and they're entitled to their opinion. Here's mine.

I attended the CRA banquet this past weekend. For those who don't know, the CRA is a sanctioning body in northeast Ohio that runs quad and bike MX and harescrambles. The CRA harescrambles average about 75-150 riders (both bike and quad) per week. I'm sure the MX averages a little more per event. A yearly CRA membership is $15, gate fees are $8, race fee is $20. This hardly compares to what Racer productions brings in per event. The CRA banquet honors quad and bike riders, both in MX and harescrambles in one event. For the third year in a row, along with year-end awards, the CRA held two drawings, one for quad riders and one for bike riders. All year-end award winners are entered no matter what class or type of machine. In each drawing, fifth place received $100, fourth new helmet, third new riding gear, second new pit bike (CRF50). The quad winner received a new quad of choice, the bike winner got a new bike of choice. While I don't know the actual number of bike entrants, there were 120 in the quad drawing, and the winner of the quad was the 10th place finisher in the Blaster class for the year.

There was also a drawing in which every banquet ticket holder is eligible. $100 Walmart gift cards, an EZ-up and a few other items were given away, along with the top prize of a $1000 Honda generator, which Dave Simmons walked away with.

If a small organization with no big sponsorship can afford to give away almost $15000 in prizes on top of the regular year-end awards, why can't the GNCC? They have huge sponsors such as Yamaha or Suzuki and countless others. Maybe it's time for Racer productions to get off their wallet, or get the sponsors to ante up a little more.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-24-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree we just had the Iowa atv harescramble banquet last weekend and the winners of each class got

Hotcam gearbag
Yamaha Coat with their name and class
50% off a hotcam
Free choice of pivot works kit
a bigger plaque with their name on it
discount certificate to tireballs

plus many other drawings and doorprizes

It is nice to see smaller series care about their racers :)

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Agree you would think with all them sponsors and stuff they could afford/get more free stuff from the sponsors

jb500ex
01-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I agree we just had the Iowa atv harescramble banquet last weekend and the winners of each class got

Hotcam gearbag
Yamaha Coat with their name and class
50% off a hotcam
Free choice of pivot works kit
a bigger plaque with their name on it
discount certificate to tireballs

plus many other drawings and doorprizes

It is nice to see smaller series care about their racers :)

i got more then that last year from the gncc's for second place. they give more then you think

Rich250RRacer
01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
i got more then that last year from the gncc's for second place. they give more then you think

But when a small series can give away one quad, one bike, two pit bikes and all of the other stuff, on top of the regular year-end awards, it still makes the GNCC look bad. When I finished fourth in Vet a few years back, I got a plaque and left-over, year old T-shirts from Loretta's. I overheard many of the riders at the CRA banquet saying the same thing about the GNCC.

BSTURDIVANT
01-24-2007, 08:42 PM
We had local banquet this weekend- won pro class in Megaseries,District 5, WV state championship series- got 3 trophies!

And guess who's making money? Not the racers!! We just love racing I guess!

Pappy
01-24-2007, 08:50 PM
I gave away a brand new Kasea 90 to the winner of the stock youth class at the Ironman when we were trying to get the kids included in the GNCC series. That was me with some support from a few folks and this site, no sanctioning body offered but we didnt mind. It was a kick in the nuts later when I heard from the podium a rep from RP announce someones else's name and how they were the reason they included the kids in the nationals however. I thought it was a group effort...lol

I think that is the difference, some people care about the sport and others soley on the greenbacks.

deathman53
01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I will be racing for cra this years also, I will be racing trikes, I might bring my quad, also, but doubt very much. I am told that they give very good awards to the good racers.

The ama is all about money, nothing more.

01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, its like a business.

If you don't like the product a business is selling, don't shop there.

If enuf people don't shop there, the business will be forced to change their product.

Or it'll go out of business and some new business owner will come along and sell you what you want.

But if you keep shopping there, the business owner will assume you are not that upset about their product.

Whether we like it or not, money makes the world go round.

If you wouldn't do your day job for the "love of it" then don't expect anyone else to.

Rich250RRacer
01-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by garandman
Well, its like a business.

If you don't like the product a business is selling, don't shop there.

If enuf people don't shop there, the business will be forced to change their product.

Or it'll go out of business and some new business owner will come along and sell you what you want.

But if you keep shopping there, the business owner will assume you are not that upset about their product.

Whether we like it or not, money makes the world go round.

If you wouldn't do your day job for the "love of it" then don't expect anyone else to.

But you still didn't answer the question! WHY can't they do it? Tell me why they can't afford it. Give me a reason for not doing it with the resources they have. Give me a reason not to call them greedy. A small local series is making them look VERY bad.

01-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
But you still didn't answer the question! WHY can't they do it? Tell me why they can't afford it. Give me a reason for not doing it with the resources they have. Give me a reason not to call them greedy. A small local series is making them look VERY bad.

i think he answered your question...they can do it(give better prizes), they just choose not to. because a ton of people are still gonna race it whether they give good prizes or not....it's basically this; why give some of the money back if you don't have to?