PDA

View Full Version : Popping and stuttering when cold!!

GIXXER1KR
01-24-2007, 04:19 PM
When i went riding the other day when it was freezing when hammering and letting of the throttle i get a lot of popping and backfiring.Is this normal.I never noticed it b4.The bike ran fine other than it being a PITA to start the 1st time when it was cold.If that keeps up with the cold starts ill be one of those I NEED A STARTER GUYS!!!!

ricks450
01-24-2007, 08:58 PM
any mods? sounds like its running lean. lean motors are harder to start and runnin lean causes backfiring and popping.

GIXXER1KR
01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
HRC kit,Prodesign filter kit,and Yosh slip on.It only does it on deaccelration.Other than letting off the throttle its fine!!

ryann mx68
01-25-2007, 05:08 AM
try adjusting your a/f screw

ghott
01-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Usually, as the temperature gets colder and colder, you will need to jet richer to compensate for the MORE DENSE cold air....

Sounds to me like you have one of two problems:

1. Exhaust Leak
2. Lean condition in the pilot/slow circuit

To solve problem #1...check your pipe for leaks. Check to make sure the bolts which hold the head pipe to the head are TIGHT. Check to make sure there are no other problems with your head pipe and mid pipe. Check to make sure no wires are split, or touching the frame where they shouldn't be as well.

To solve problem #2...you may need to adjust your jetting slightly. How far is your A/F screw currently adjusted out? When I ask this question, I mean, how many turns is it from the screw all the way in or bottomed out? Try turning the A/F screw out 1/4 turn more each time, and do a test ride after each small adjustment to see if the problem still exists. You will need a "D" shaped tool to perform this procedure, as they A/F screw is on the bottom of the carb, and is in "D" shape. IF the popping cannot be cured by the time your A/F screw is 3 turns out (from all the way screwed in), you will need to set the A/F screw back to 2 turns out, and bump the PILOT/SLOW jet ONE SIZE. Then repeat the A/F screw adjustment noted above until the problem is cured.

Good luck!

d3ktrix
01-25-2007, 06:20 AM
If opening up the A/F a little doesn't help then bump your main up 1 size.

Like said above the colder weather is causing a leaner condition.

When I jetted my bike it was 100F out and super humid. When fall time came around I started popping on decel and even putting in a huge pilot didn't help. Bumped the main jet up 2 sizes and runs perfect now.

ricks450
01-25-2007, 03:20 PM
thats exacly how i stoped mine from popping on decel. i put a bigger main in it and it stoped. pilot jet didnt work for me neither. because of how the factory carb operates. i put a cam with alot duration and the carb started going crazy. it kept switching curcuits between idle and main. i got the edalbrock carb now. love it. :)