PDA

View Full Version : can someone help my 300 is smokin after rebuild

BS300ex5
09-25-2002, 07:13 PM
hey i have a 315 kit and a tc racing cam with a valve job and stiffer valve springs all jes recently installed i am running 100 octane fuel and a 128 main jet and it has only been ran bout 10 minutes so far but it smokes real bad ... will this go away or should i pull it back apart? help quick please... i would have my dad do it but he is down and out on oxycodine after his double hernia surgery. thanks guys

Ex'r Marlin
09-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BS300ex5
it has only been ran bout 10 minutes so far but it smokes real bad ... will this go away or should i pull it back apart? Can you give us a little more detail... Is the smoke blue? When you say alot of smoke... Do you mean a huge cloud of smoke?

I would first check your engine oil level, making sure it is not overfilled.

Did you do a "break in" according to the directions?

Please let me know, I am anxious to hear how your 315 turns out!:)

Houser Cannondale
09-25-2002, 08:20 PM
some enignes smoke when they are fresh rebilt. after you break the cam in after an hour or 2 of riding it should stop if it is just a light blue smoke. if you have a huge cloud then you probably have somethign wrong.

RytM1
09-25-2002, 09:19 PM
What kind of oil are you using? It has been discussed before about the kind of oil that should be used for break-in. Most people will recommend regular oil for the break-in, then switch over to a synthetic blend if that is what you prefer to run. The reason not to use synthetic for break-in is that it is said to be too "slick", and does not allow the friction needed to let the rings seat properly. This in turn allows oil to pass by the rings, causing blue smoke.

BS300ex5
09-26-2002, 01:19 PM
i'm running 20-50 non synthetic valvoline motorcycle oil (20-50 non syn is what tc calls for on the cam) and it is just when i accelarate a light blue smoke comes out ... it's not a big cloud but just looks like regular exhaust would look only light blue

Ex'r Marlin
09-26-2002, 01:28 PM
:) Sounds ok to me now that you stated that!

Usually during assembly, some oil is in areas that will get "burned" out. I believe after your initial break-in that the smoke will soon disappear.

Note: I have a little "blue" smoke coming out my 300 for a few years now... No problem with performance.:cool:

BS300ex5
09-26-2002, 01:36 PM
thanx guys and exrmarlin u were askin how it turned out ... well it idles a lil higher but i woulda never guessed i woulda got this power out of it it is soo much more peppy and there is just no slack in the engine like there used to be... i'd reccomend this set-up to anyone that is lookin to boost the 300