PDA

View Full Version : do wheel spacers influence shock valving?

1fst400
01-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Im convinced that wheel spacers dont affect how the shock works. But many say other wise. so here is a poll.

01-24-2007, 11:22 AM
I dont think so. I had spacers on and then pushed on the bumper to see how soft the shocks were then took the spacers off and it felt the same. Then I put longer A-arms on and the shocks went way soft so I would have to say no.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 11:32 AM
This shouldn't be a poll, as it is not an opinion, it is a fact....Im going with spacers suck anyways though just because SPACERS SUCK!!!!!

fandl450r
01-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
This shouldn't be a poll, as it is not an opinion, it is a fact....Im going with spacers suck anyways though just because SPACERS SUCK!!!!!

I concur, and slow, you're not fooling anyone.

Scro
01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Shocks? No

Steering? Yes

Linkin24
01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
they do affect how they work on the frint shock. when they are out on they push the tires father from the hubs and but more leverage on the a arms and the shock.just like putting a wider offset affects the shocks. or +2 a arms do. the same for spacers.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Linkin24
they do affect how they work on the frint shock. when they are out on they push the tires father from the hubs and but more leverage on the a arms and the shock.just like putting a wider offset affects the shocks. or +2 a arms do. the same for spacers.

nope... the only thing that effects the shock is longer arms. spacers and rims do NOT

PismoLocal
01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
My guess is that they would have and effect on the front but not the back. It would give more leverage and make the shock feel softer.
Just my hypothesis though.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
My guess is that they would have and effect on the front but not the back. It would give more leverage and make the shock feel softer.
Just my hypothesis though.

and it is wrong!;)

goth22
01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
it doesnt affect shock valving because the extra leverage is sideways and just presses against the upper spindle/bearing hole. Doesnt make the suspension any softer. just puts more pressure on the spindles/hubs. Leverage/motion ratios are measured from the end of the a arm, not the centre of the rim. this is because after this point anything else doesnt affect the leverage.

:D

PismoLocal
01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by goth22
it doesnt affect shock valving because the extra leverage is sideways and just presses against the upper spindle/bearing hole. Doesnt make the suspension any softer. just puts more pressure on the spindles/hubs. Leverage/motion ratios are measured from the end of the a arm, not the centre of the rim. this is because after this point anything else doesnt affect the leverage.

So even if you added a wheel spacer on each side of your quad that was 1' long it wouldn't effect how soft the shocks felt?

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
So even if you added a wheel spacer on each side of your quad that was 1' long it wouldn't effect how soft the shocks felt?

In theory you could add 1 mile long spacers on each side and it wouldn't effect it.

Read the thread about "elka ride height softer/stiffer there is a good drawing in there to explain it by bwamos.

PismoLocal
01-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
In theory you could add 1 mile long spacers on each side and it wouldn't effect it.

Read the thread about "elka ride height softer/stiffer there is a good drawing in there to explain it by bwamos.

Interesting I'll have to check it out thanks.

GearHeadz400ex
01-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by goth22

/\/\/\ hes got it down

KingpinsEx
01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Learn something new everyday....

brokenmike
01-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Lets put this into another way to think about this.If you had a pry bar and you were pushing down on it and you put all of your weight on it and you have trouble moving the object,what would happen if you extended the pry bar to make it longer,you would gain more leverage making it easier to move the object. the farther your wheel is from your bottom shock mount the softer the shock is going to feel. that is why when you have extended a-arms with stock shocks they feel soft. You might not notice any difference from wheel spacers on it.IMO dont get them for the front,it makes your bike steer like crap and if you hit a stump,tree or rock you will feel it more in the handle bars

my .02

400exrider707
01-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by brokenmike
Lets put this into another way to think about this.If you had a pry bar and you were pushing down on it and you put all of your weight on it and you have trouble moving the object,what would happen if you extended the pry bar to make it longer,you would gain more leverage making it easier to move the object. the farther your wheel is from your bottom shock mount the softer the shock is going to feel. that is why when you have extended a-arms with stock shocks they feel soft. You might not notice any difference from wheel spacers on it.IMO dont get them for the front,it makes your bike steer like crap and if you hit a stump,tree or rock you will feel it more in the handle bars

my .02

Did you read any of this post? Your 100% absolutely WRONG. Yes with extended arms you will notice your shocks softer, but not with wheel spacers or flipped rims. Look at it like this. Your a-arm is the lever on the shock. Extending your wheels out does not change the length of your arm. There is a pivot point between your wheel and your arm, its the balljoints. The wheel spacer could be 1 mile long and would do nothing for the shock, it would probably snap your wheel studs right off but wouldn't do anything to soften the shock up... theoretically.

brokenmike
01-26-2007, 03:05 PM
theoretically? It does not matter where the ball joints are! It only matters where the force is being applied to it and where the shock is positioned. Lets just say that you had a 5 foot long piece of pipe that fit on to the spindle and you pulled up on it,you could fully compress the shock with one arm pulling up on it easily.

brokenmike
01-26-2007, 03:17 PM
a drawing to explain this better

1fst400
01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
from the ball joint out it is no longer a lever.

czrider263
01-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah i don't think they effect the rear shock because it does not add any leaverage......

But it sets the front tires out more so i would think that you would have to stiffen up your fronts. just like when you put longer a arms on stock stocks they get softer..

But i also think that they are a cheap solution and you should just buy up.

brokenmike
01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
when the wheel,hub and spindle move up,the a-arm still moves up. The rear spacers will not effect the rear shock.

300exryder
01-26-2007, 07:59 PM
I have had front wheel spacers on my Raptor for 5 years now. I did not notice a difference in suspension action at all. There was definitely an increase in "bump steer." I could see a component of the force in the direction of the shock being greater as a result of the spacers, from a geometrical/physical standpoint. As far as a noticeable difference, I don't think anyone will feel the change from 1.5" spacers...