PDA

View Full Version : new cam chain?

acw592
01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I just got my cylinder back for my 2000 400ex and I was planning on putting a Hot Cam stg. 2 in also. I was thinking I should probably buy a new cam chain, while I was in there? How bad is that to replace? It looks like I would have to remove the clutch as well as a few other parts-gears. Thanks!

cals400ex
01-24-2007, 09:06 PM
its not hard but the clutch and the oil pump i believe needs to come off. it is pretty simple though, as long as you can get the clutch basket off. i would make sure you have an impact or the tool honda recommends. you can get the CRF 450r dirtbike timing chain, which is a heavy duty chain. it is a direct fit in the 400ex, plus it is a lot cheaper than the factory chain. i know, it doesn't make sense. :huh

kalebarellano
01-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, I didn't know this much was involved to replace the cam chain. I am doing a rebuild now, and I ordered the crf450 chain too.

cals400ex
01-25-2007, 07:45 PM
it isn't that difficult but you need to be able to get to the gear in the bottom end so you can get the chain off and the new chain back on that gear. it takes a little time, but it isn't that hard. look at that nut close on the basket. it has a spot where they hit it with a nail punch or somethign similar. this punch mark prevents the nut from falling off on its own. i didn't have a proper tool to pry the edge up where it was hit with a nail punch. i just got the damn inpact out and took it off. be careful doing that so you do not ruin the threas or you could be screwed.