PDA

View Full Version : How to get the bolts off the back shock.

04predator
01-24-2007, 01:33 AM
I blew a hose on the reservoir for the back shock on my '04 polaris predator. And I wanted to remove the whole shock and resrevior to take it in to get a new hose and refill it with oil. My problem is I got the top and bottom nuts off the bolts that hold the shock on, but the bolts won't budge. The nuts turn but I can't get them to come out. Is there a secret to getting them off? (I have no suspension at all for the back shock.)

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 04:08 AM
Jack the quad off the ground. Try to putt a screwdriver/punch on the bolt and hit it with a hammer

01-24-2007, 06:39 AM
For me to get the nut off the first time it was on super tight. I put the wrench on it and then slid a small 3ft pipe on over the handle for leverage and it came loose. You need 2 wrenches to do.
To get the bolt out jacking it up is easiest.

When i take the bolt out i jack it up till the rear is just off the ground then i let it down slowly pulling on the bolt at the same time and at a certain point their will be no pressure on the bolt and it will slide right out.

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by goat breath
For me to get the nut off the first time it was on super tight. I put the wrench on it and then slid a small 3ft pipe on over the handle for leverage and it came loose. You need 2 wrenches to do.
To get the bolt out jacking it up is easiest.

When i take the bolt out i jack it up till the rear is just off the ground then i let it down slowly pulling on the bolt at the same time and at a certain point their will be no pressure on the bolt and it will slide right out.

Right, but his was probably never greased and more than likely had minimal grease to begin with from the fatory, its probably seized in there.

rooster300ex
01-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Use a punch and do what goat breath said.

04predator
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Use a punch and do what goat breath said.
Thanks guys, I'll go out there and try it right now.

svahle
01-24-2007, 11:17 AM
You might try just threading the nut back on a little bit and then hitting it with the hammer. If not, you can screw up the threads on the bolt with the screwdriver or punch.

Then again, if it is seized that bad you will probably screw up the theads anyway.

Just something to consider.