PDA

View Full Version : Yfz450 Or Trx450r... Yeah, Another One Of Those... But I Need Help...

daniel981
01-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm in a bind here and hopefully one of you can add some insight to my predicament.

The dreaded, beat to death, TRX450R vs YFZ450 is what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:
I know, I know... But hear me out, please...

I currently have a 400ex and its been bulletproof, as we have all know they are. I have not had one problem with it, but its just not fast or powerful enough anymore. I ride the quad for all its got, so now I'm looking for something with more. I've narrowed it down to two. The Honda and Yamaha. I'm not looking to buy new, so I’m looking at the 04-06's.

The kind of riding I do is anything from the trails at Ocotillo Wells, or other southern CA hot spots, to the dunes of Glamis, Dumont or Pismo. I'm not real big on jumping getting massive air. The little 1-2 feet of air I get while hauling butt is good enough for me. Just wanted to add that I ride a lot standing up. With that said, 450R_Lover (on exrider.com) said "On the 450r it feels like your sitting in it, and on the yfz it feels like your sitting on top of it." I totally agree with this. With my riding style, which would be better?

I'm stuck here.

Honda -
Pros: It's a nice power curve from the low end to the high end which is great for tight trails, suspension is a bit softer, absorbs the bumps a bit better on the trails, good all around bike, plenty of power everywhere.

Cons: 04-05's have that crank bearing failure issue, suspension is a bit softer, no electric start on the 04-05's, the seat isn’t as flat as the Yamaha, so its not as easy to climb onto the tank while going up a hill. No oil sump, two separate areas for the oils for engine and trans

Yamaha –
Pros: Plenty of power in the higher RPM, tight suspension, one oil for trans and engine, oil sump, level seat easy to climb up on the tank while climbing the hills, lower center of gravity, 2-stroke like power delivery, electric starter, lower center of gravity

Cons: Power curve requires a revving engine. Tight suspension, beats the rider up a bit on the trails.

Right now as I sit, I'm leaning toward the Yamaha YFZ450. I've found a few great deals on both bikes so now its decision time. I've never ridden either one, but I'm assuming that the trx450r is similar to the 400ex. Not the same mind you, but similar compared to the yfz…

What insight can you offer to help out? Un biased help...

I have two killer deals I'm tossing around, one of each bike.

Thanks.

HondaEXrider22
01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Personally, I would go for the Honda. Pretty much because the word honda practically has reliability attached to it. Plus, A pipe, filter and new jets would open it up alot. If you can get a killer deal, personally I would go for the honda. Now I would take either quad, but honda ftw.

nowukno
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I was in the same boat , i went and checked out each one to get a feel. I went with the honda cause i liked the look better , i wanted a kickstart , the seat was softer and the yamaha had a stiff thumb throttle. But both are awesome machines and you will be extremely happy with either one.

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I would get the yamaha because in truth i am a die hard yamahamer fan but the honda is built for reliablity. Both are very competitive in the racing scene as you can see so i would go with which ever you like better the dealers should let you ride them if they are nice and think you are interested in them.

Bigun55
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I was in the same shape your in about 4 months ago. Just ride a YFZ and the 450R and go from there.

I rode my Buddys 450ER and then i rode another one of my buddys YFZ's and i went with yamaha. And i was a die hard honda fan. But i went with yamaha and am 110% happy with my decsion.

But you wont go wrong with either one of them. They are both great quads.

yellowzo3
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
this may be a weird question, but when sitting on them, which one feels smaller and easier to whip around? im not too tall so if i were to get a 450, which one would be easier to whip around for mx and jumping?

nowukno
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
this may be a weird question, but when sitting on them, which one feels smaller and easier to whip around? im not too tall so if i were to get a 450, which one would be easier to whip around for mx and jumping?

Not sure which is better for mx or jumping cause i have never had a YFZ on a mx track but i think the yamaha defintely feels/looks smaller.

daniel981
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3

Yeah, as nowukno said, the Yamaha is a bit smaller and lower.

To answer your question, the Yamaha feels like it would be easier to whip around. Its easier for me to move around on the quad. I don't do a lot of jumping or racing, so...

The Honda, however, feels snug. By snug, I mean it feels like can sit on the quad and squeeze it with my knees and stay on. But That doesn't really do me a lot of good anyway since I tend to stand most of the time. :confused:

firefighterjosh
01-23-2007, 08:39 PM
The Yami and the Honda are both Reliable. I hear more hondas blowing up then Yami to tll you the truth.

Really it sucks trying to pick a quad but all you can do it ride them both and make a educated guess. You can't go wrong with ether one.

Good Luck:)

ShiftFMX
01-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I've never ridden a YFZ, So alls I can Say is I have an '04 450r and I love it to death! All I would trade it for is a newer 450r. I think the crank bearing failure has a lot to do with how you ride it. One of my local mechanics says that all the crank bearings that have gone bad were the guys that race their quads up and down the dirt roads bouncing off the rev limiter.

Just my .02 :p

01-24-2007, 04:27 AM
The YFZ deff is smaller and easier to whip around. The Honda feels like a mountain to me. Its so high up, it seems like you take a turn and its going to flip. I'd go with the Yamaha. Honda's got the motor problems...Yamaha doesn't.

trick250r
01-24-2007, 08:51 AM
you cant say that one bike has all the problems and the other one doesnt... its all personal preference. on ANY given day, ANY bike can have ANY problem. as soon as you get whichever bike youre going to buy, you'll be happy with it. then you'll start to maybe regret not getting the other. they're both great bikes (and im a die hard honda fan) so do what YOU want.

700bRad
01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
ATTENTION: daniel981!!

I own both machines, the YFZ is an 06' and I just bought an 07' 450r about 4 weeks ago. Ill tell ya right now straight up the 450r is the better machine and im even a Yamaha fan. It has torque everywhere alot more then a YFZ. You can lug the Honda in third gear around a tight corner and come out of low rpms alot easier then a the YFZ. By just sitting on the Honda you can tell how much more solid of a peace equipment it is then the Yamaha. It feels very well made and is a quality bike. Ive put both machines through rigorous extreme trail riding, steep hill climbs, horseshoes, logs, rocks, gaps, whatever, the Honda is top dog. You will find yourself clutching and shifting alot more on the Yamaha because its almost impossible to find a good crisp gear for tight trails. With the Honda just throw it into 2nd and let it eat. Here are my pro's and con's for each machine.

Honda 450r
Pros: Very torquey, nice ergonomics, quality is premo, hard hitting power from low to top, great hill shooter, comfortable machine to ride, great ground clearence, and has the Honda reliability.

Con's: Hard to start sometimes, takes at least 5 minutes to warm up (All Honda's are like this), a tad harder to get the back end loose.

Yamaha YFZ450
Pros: Quick hitting power, awsome mx bike, looks amazing, very peppy, rips in top end, easy to corner, easy to jump, crazy awsome brakes, strong starter, and an ok trail machine.

Con's: You have to roll the throttle, Low and high end bog, takes alot of clutch work in tight trails, feels very uncomfortable (im 6'0 and 155 pounds), will beat you up on bumpy rocky trails.

Make your decision, as you wish, I went through the same thing you are going through, and I wast happy untill I bought a 450r. Bye Bye.

daniel981
01-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 700bRad

I own both machines, the YFZ is an 06' and I just bought an 07' 450r about 4 weeks ago.

Thanks for the reply. Well, im going to night to look at both Yami and a Honda, so we'll see what I come home with... I'll let you all know which way I went.

Later!

honda4life72
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
thats odd my three freinds have all blow up there yfzs...and at the track lasst week i saw 4 break :huh

bigH
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 700bRad

I own both machines, the YFZ is an 06' and I just bought an 07' 450r about 4 weeks ago. Ill tell ya right now straight up the 450r is the better machine and im even a Yamaha fan. It has torque everywhere alot more then a YFZ. You can lug the Honda in third gear around a tight corner and come out of low rpms alot easier then a the YFZ. By just sitting on the Honda you can tell how much more solid of a peace equipment it is then the Yamaha. It feels very well made and is a quality bike. Ive put both machines through rigorous extreme trail riding, steep hill climbs, horseshoes, logs, rocks, gaps, whatever, the Honda is top dog. You will find yourself clutching and shifting alot more on the Yamaha because its almost impossible to find a good crisp gear for tight trails. With the Honda just throw it into 2nd and let it eat. Here are my pro's and con's for each machine.

Honda 450r
Pros: Very torquey, nice ergonomics, quality is premo, hard hitting power from low to top, great hill shooter, comfortable machine to ride, great ground clearence, and has the Honda reliability.

Con's: Hard to start sometimes, takes at least 5 minutes to warm up (All Honda's are like this), a tad harder to get the back end loose.

Yamaha YFZ450
Pros: Quick hitting power, awsome mx bike, looks amazing, very peppy, rips in top end, easy to corner, easy to jump, crazy awsome brakes, strong starter, and an ok trail machine.

Con's: You have to roll the throttle, Low and high end bog, takes alot of clutch work in tight trails, feels very uncomfortable (im 6'0 and 155 pounds), will beat you up on bumpy rocky trails.

Make your decision, as you wish, I went through the same thing you are going through, and I wast happy untill I bought a 450r. Bye Bye.

Hey are both your bikes stock??????? How does the honda compare 2 the YFZ n Raptor in the power department....which one is faster straight up????? just curious since both the yamaha 450 and honda 450 made huge changes in 06

700bRad
01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by bigH
Hey are both your bikes stock??????? How does the honda compare 2 the YFZ n Raptor in the power department....which one is faster straight up????? just curious since both the yamaha 450 and honda 450 made huge changes in 06

Neither machines come close in comparison to the Raptor 700r in power or torque. The YFZ and TRX 450's accelarate faster but the 700r will eat them both once it hits third gear. Now the YFZ vs. the 450r it is very close. The YFZ is more rippy and rev's out a tad higher then the 450r, but the 450r's power is alot easier to use and has more low end grunt and torque throughout the delivery. The difference in performance isnt big enough to tell which one is faster or quicker, but you can definetely feel a difference in torque like I said. And yes all my bikes are stock. I just recently took the baffle out of the 450r (louder then some aftermarket pipes). I am getting ready to do a total woods mod-out project on the Honda though.

mickey400ex
01-25-2007, 01:38 PM
i have buddies that have each, in my opinion

450r: really strong power that pulls all the way to top end, great ergonomics, and its a honda :)

yfz 450: has a really good hit in the powerband, reminded me of my banshee, but it was way too small and cramped for me and its a yamaha:)

i say just buy whatever you can find that has the best deal cuz you will be happy with either

05Z400rdr
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
imo i'd go with yamaha if the debate was between honda and yamaha. to me, the 450r feels really high and bulky, while the yfz feels not as high and not near as bulky...i have a ltr...which is obviously what i like the most, but if u r going to be riding a decent amount of trails, id go with the yfz over the trx

Landon

400EXTRA
01-25-2007, 02:05 PM
450r

daniel981
01-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, I ended up getting a brand new 06 trx450er and couldn't be happier. Thanks to all that replied to this post.

onefast400ex
01-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I was in the same situation as you a little while ago. I had a 400ex and couldn't choose between a yfz or r. I ride all different terrains and the yfz has been great for me. The yfz is just as reliable as the ex. When you get a yfz you won't even want to ride an ex again. I would go and try both of them and see how you feel.

daniel981
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by onefast400ex
I was in the same situation as you a little while ago. I had a 400ex and couldn't choose between a yfz or r. I ride all different terrains and the yfz has been great for me. The yfz is just as reliable as the ex. When you get a yfz you won't even want to ride an ex again. I would go and try both of them and see how you feel.

I got a TRX450ER :D

700bRad
01-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Good choice Daniel! You will not regret it. Yamaha bolts are cheap and break off very easy. The stock skid plate on the YFZ flew off one time all 4 bolts broke off in the frame, and I was just going down a field road, almost took my buddies head off lol. Then I broke a screw off in the oil tank. Yamaha cases seem very weak as well. I threw a chain on the YFZ and cracked the case real bad. Also cracked the case around the oil drain plug on the 700r. Of course I got all these problems fixed and was no big deal.

daniel981
01-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Took it out for the first time today... All I can say is WOW.. :D

http://www.thedistinct.com/host/random/06trx450er-20070128.jpg

Tater049
02-05-2007, 05:04 PM
good choice man i would have done the same thing, but when i got my yfz, i was tight on cash and had a deal for the yfz at a very cheap price. If it was now, hands down 450r. have fun with your new r man.