PDA

View Full Version : New 2 stroke?

Tecate250
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Is there ever gonna be a 2 stroke racing atv made in the future? I really enjoy the power of a 2 stroke and will not under any cercumstances buy a 4 stroke quad. I am not happy with the banshee and blaster at all and the local gas gas dealer is a jerk.
So the 300 wild is out of the question.

csimp3
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
i would say it is very unlikley, honda and kawi are already stopping production of the cr and kx bikes

blasterandy
01-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Import a 2 stroke like one of those european bikes.

HondaEXrider22
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Is this CR stopping true? And since when?

400exrider989
01-23-2007, 05:27 PM
i dont know about other guys and gals on here but i too you love a new 2 stroke something around 250cc and fuel injection you cant go wrong there i say

400exrider707
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Not going to happen.....not in this country and not from any of the big four. Honda is stopping production of all 2 stroke bikes in 07, so kiss them good bye. IF anyone was to do it, I would say KTM would be your best possibility as they are one of the only companies still putting R&D work into 2 strokes. They will be the last to let them die. They are even coming out with a 144 2 stroke to run in the lites class now, or at least thats what I've heard.

GPracer2500
01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
There's Service Honda's SRX250R (http://www.servicehonda.com/service.html) . But for the money I'd rather buy a 250R.

firefighterjosh
01-23-2007, 07:51 PM
BUy it from Canada and ship it over:chinese:

interceptorz28
01-24-2007, 05:02 AM
ok, this post has got me worried. Does anyone know if/when Honda will stop making the cr250 2STROKE bike? If so , I will have to pick one up before they are GONE.

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by interceptorz28
ok, this post has got me worried. Does anyone know if/when Honda will stop making the cr250 2STROKE bike? If so , I will have to pick one up before they are GONE.

I belive 07 was the last year for all 2-strokes better hurry

bradley300
01-24-2007, 07:13 AM
i'm pretty sure 06 was the last year, its all four strokes now

400exrider707
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i'm pretty sure 06 was the last year, its all four strokes now

Nope 07

http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/motocross/

deathman53
01-24-2007, 10:24 AM
my friend works at a honda dealer, there isn't many 2 strokes there 1 cr125, I think 1 cr250r and 2 cr80/85's, all the rest is 4 stroke. They are pushing the crf150 to any customers who want a cr80/85, I would run now to the dealer to buy one.

matt250r21
01-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda is not making any new 2 strokes after 07.

But I bet they would if everyone who rides stopped buying 4 strokes

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Honda is not making any new 2 strokes after 07.

But I bet they would if everyone who rides stopped buying 4 strokes

No they wouldn't because it is against the law to produce 2-strokes

matt250r21
01-24-2007, 09:01 PM
It is not against the law. The EPA has put massive restictions on exhaust though. The big 4 can build clean 2 strokes or sell the existing ones as competition only machines. Everyone seems to think the thumpers are sooo much better, well yeah they only have an extra 200 cc's

banshee84
01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
One day they will get the 2 strokes to burn cleaner than the fourstokes and they will make a comeback. I have heard that yamaha makes a clean burning 2 stroke in their marine line that is cleaner than the fourstokes.

They can probaly do it right now but they would rather have you buy more expensive parts for a motor that doesn't last as long.

firefighterjosh
01-24-2007, 10:32 PM
You might be able to get a low powered engine to burn clean but there is no way you could get the 2-stroke power back.

bsmith106
01-25-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree that the chances of the big four from japan releasing a new two stroke quad are slim. But in the snowmobiling world there are alot of new tech systems still being developed for two strokes. Polaris has there cleanfire injection in 6 and 700cc twins. I cant help but dream about using one cylinder off one of these mated to a slick shifting six speed tranny with the perc electronic reverse where the engine slows and then spins in reverse. No added weight. Ski-doo also uses semi direct injection to pass current emissions regs. Bombardier owns the rights to Ficht direct fi. All of these systems exist currently and to adapt them to atv use shouldnt be that hard. It would also spread the cost of deveopment over a broader market. Call me an optimist but i wouldnt be suprised to see a two stroke performance quad from Polaris, Bombardier-can-am, or the king of niche markets Ktm.

Tecate250
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
I did not think This thread would draw so many people. Let the 4 strokes come then break down. cc vs cc 2 stroke just out classes the 4 stroke. I am hopping for a 2 stroke quad. Or even better a 2 stroke 3 wheeler.

deathman53
01-26-2007, 12:58 PM
If honda re-released the 86 atc250r with inverted forks, pv motor and some more modern stuff. I would put my name on the list immediately. I might do the same if they re-released it exactly how it came in 86. If you look at my signature, I have my fair share of trikes and I'm gonna race them this year also. My custom frame is coming along nice for the primary race trike.

tecate250, you a memmber of 3ww?

Old Head
01-27-2007, 02:50 AM
I agree 2-strokes are a blast to ride but there is a reason you don't see them in pro races anymore. They just can't keep up with the thumpers. And its not just the cc differance. When the 2-stroke hits its power ban in loose or very hard pack you get mostly tire spin and no forward push. I would also buy a new 250r if it was offered or even if they went big like the quadzilla.

deathman53
01-27-2007, 08:38 AM
the thumper are without a doubt easier to ride, 2 strokes kinda wear you out with the work invovled to ride them. most 4 strokes you can ride them a gear high and still pull it, instead of down shifting in a corner, cluthing, shift up, in most cases the 4 stroke already passed you.

It really took the pro-production, changing of rules for 250r's(to favor the 4 strokes) and also the discontining of parts from honda and the aftermarket to finally kill the 250r in racing. Also the sponserships of the pro riders from honda, yamaha, and susuki didn't help things either. If the factories didn't push the 4 stroke 450's w/ sponserships, I bet that many would still be riding 250r's. What wins on sunday, sells on monday, if the pro's are riding a 450, people are gonna buy them monday, if the 250r's win, people will build a 250r over buying a new bike.

One thing, STILL nobody has made a bike that handles like stock framed 250r's, forget the handling of a lobo, walsh, leager narrow front end pro-trac frame. I have a hybrid lsr frame crf450r motor, my friend has a trx450r(he owned the hybrid at one time), he can do circles around his trx450r on the hybrid.

itismejoshy
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Old Head
I agree 2-strokes are a blast to ride but there is a reason you don't see them in pro races anymore. They just can't keep up with the thumpers. And its not just the cc differance. When the 2-stroke hits its power ban in loose or very hard pack you get mostly tire spin and no forward push. I would also buy a new 250r if it was offered or even if they went big like the quadzilla.

well said! i own a 250r and it's great, but really the all or nothing riding style just don't win anymore.

Toadz400
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
the thumper are without a doubt easier to ride, 2 strokes kinda wear you out with the work invovled to ride them. most 4 strokes you can ride them a gear high and still pull it, instead of down shifting in a corner, cluthing, shift up, in most cases the 4 stroke already passed you.

It really took the pro-production, changing of rules for 250r's(to favor the 4 strokes) and also the discontining of parts from honda and the aftermarket to finally kill the 250r in racing. Also the sponserships of the pro riders from honda, yamaha, and susuki didn't help things either. If the factories didn't push the 4 stroke 450's w/ sponserships, I bet that many would still be riding 250r's. What wins on sunday, sells on monday, if the pro's are riding a 450, people are gonna buy them monday, if the 250r's win, people will build a 250r over buying a new bike.

One thing, STILL nobody has made a bike that handles like stock framed 250r's, forget the handling of a lobo, walsh, leager narrow front end pro-trac frame. I have a hybrid lsr frame crf450r motor, my friend has a trx450r(he owned the hybrid at one time), he can do circles around his trx450r on the hybrid.

Can't say I agree with you on the 2-strokes not being able to be competetive with the 4-strokes, but to each his own!

As for the frame geometry issue, take a look at Kawasaki's new 450....

deathman53
01-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I own 4 & 2 stroke trikes and quads, this is from what I have noticed. I'm not saying you can't be competitive, I'm pretty competitive on my 2 stroke trike and quad, but it does wear you out faster compared to a 4 stroke. I can ride my hybrid 450r, longer. On the 2 strokes, I give it all, its either you ride 100% or nothing. The 4 stroke you can ride 70-80% percent and when it gets toward the end you can give it 100%. I think this is one of the reasons why 4 strokes are raced now, it easier to ride longer and with more energy.

Before the ban and pro-prodcution stuff, lots of 250r's had 4 stroke motors in them, there were lots of 2 strokes also. The factory sponserships, pro-production, and other rules have brought upon this change faster. It would have progressed to become 4 stroke over time, as the motors have finally caught-up. Around 03, 1/2 of the pro bikes had 4 stroke motors in them. Its pretty obvouis they saw an advantage.

Go ride a 450r for 10 laps, ride the 250r for 10 laps, giving both 100%, tell me which one is less tiring. I love my 2 strokes, I hardly ride my 4 strokes. As I stated in an above post, you can run a 4 stroke in a higher gear w/o clutching, shifting down, then back up, times this by 100 and tell me which one is easier to ride. Compared to riding a 2 stroke, a 4 stroke is much easier, also less skill is needed to ride one fast. You really have to be a good rider to stay "on the pipe" for the whole race on a 2 stroke. A 4 stroke is a cake walk compared to this.

01-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I miss my 250R.

The 2 smoke is never coming back.

Quadboy14
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
They can't make it illegal to ride 2strokes on our own land can they?

01-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Quadboy14
They can't make it illegal to ride 2strokes on our own land can they?

Yes.

Vote accordingly.

Vote freedom.

Forget Repub vs. Democrat - think freedom.

blasterandy
01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I dont see them making it illegal to ride 2 strokes just the production is an issue. I belive that EPA think 2 strokes will eventually go away and die off with veryfew still left rolling around. Truthfully i think they are wrong and there will still be a great number as long as places like esr are still in business with the 2's. I think that aftermarket support is backing out though. But in the future when they figure out that cars, atv, dirtbikes, and motorized vehicals arnt the cause of our environmental problems they may bring them back.

hondarider110
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
we all know 2 strokes are dying even now in the snowmobile line yamaha and polaris are converting to four stroke motor in their sleds cause the two stroke produce to much exhaust fumes now if all two strokes were liquid cooled and burned clean they will have a chance.. they passed a law requiring if they were to manufactor 2 strokes after 2010 they have to burn clean and it will never happen. we all just have to learn to love the four strokes..

honda400ex2003
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
I also feel that they will probably never bring a 2 stroke back but youare all right with the fact that there is no feeling like riding a two stroke. Even from riding a blaster to a banshee or otherwise. I is unforgettable. Lets not let them go, keep the 2 strokes running. They will never be able to stop us from owning them. 4 strokes have come a long way although they are not completely caught up to them. I want to own a 250 R one day just to say that I have a piece of history. I currently have a 400ex at 18 years old so I have a while to accomplish this. The 250 started all the modern geometry and otehr progression. Imagine if there was no 250 R, we could kiss all our other quads goodbye, without the R there would be lots of changes in the atv world. KEEP them running. Maybe one day we will not have to worry about emissions and be able to bring these machines back. Steve S.

DOHC
01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by banshee84
One day they will get the 2 strokes to burn cleaner than the fourstokes and they will make a comeback. I have heard that yamaha makes a clean burning 2 stroke in their marine line that is cleaner than the fourstokes.

They can probaly do it right now but they would rather have you buy more expensive parts for a motor that doesn't last as long. Umm that day is now lol. OMC marine made 2 strokes called e-tecs. Due to poor manegment OMC when under and Bombardier bought them out. Right now Bombardier is making outboard engines with this e-tec tecnology, there way way cleaner than 4 strokes. E- tecs use a unique swirl pattern that atomises every particle of fuel so everything is converted to power making 2 strokes cleaner than 4 strokes. Check it out at www.evinrude.com

400exrider707
01-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by DOHC
Umm that day is now lol. OMC marine made 2 strokes called e-tecs. Due to poor manegment OMC when under and Bombardier bought them out. Right now Bombardier is making outboard engines with this e-tec tecnology, there way way cleaner than 4 strokes. E- tecs use a unique swirl pattern that atomises every particle of fuel so everything is converted to power making 2 strokes cleaner than 4 strokes. Check it out at www.evinrude.com

And all of this technology comes with a hefty price tag too!!! As if new sleds aren't expensive enough:eek2:

DOHC
01-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
And all of this technology comes with a hefty price tag too!!! As if new sleds aren't expensive enough:eek2:
There not useing it on sleds there using it on boats :confused: