PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear brake help

redexrider4290
01-23-2007, 01:38 PM
the rear brakes on my 04 400ex don't work

i disconected the hoses and there is brake fluid going through them but when i hook them up to the caliper nothing will happen when i hit my back brakes

does anyone have any sugestions on what i should do?

any help will be apreciated

thanks

4TraxRider
01-23-2007, 02:23 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263177

Make sure you have a new set of pads as well, unless your old ones are fine.

svahle
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't intend to be a smart arse, but did you bleed the brake lines? If there is any air in the lines they won't work.

Is you pedal soft or firm? Is the piston seized up? Do you know if the master cylinder is any good? Is there any fluid leaking?

Just a few question that will help in solving your problem

redexrider4290
01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
the piston isn't siezed it runs fine the brake lever isn't hard if feels like normal

4TraxRider
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
He meant the piston in your brake caliper. It pushes the brake pad into the rotor to stop. My honest guess is that you simply need to bleed your brakes. The link I posted should give at least in overview on how to do it.
Did the brakes just stop working or did they get progressively worse over a period of time?

svahle
01-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I also think that the brake probably needs bleeding especially if you have unhooked the brake line at any time. I have also known master cylinders to go bad. When this happens air can sometimes enter the brake line although this is usually present inconjunction with some leaking fluid. Also, I have had a master cylinder go bad but the brake lever still had some resistance. However, the master cylinder would not build enough pressure to give any meaningful braking.

Start with bleeding the brake line and then go from there.

redexrider4290
01-26-2007, 06:40 PM
i did try bleeding the lines ,that didn't work but that was about as far as i investigated it. I will try to take a closer look into everything. if i can't fiqure it out i'll post again

thanks for the help i never really did a hole lot with brakes and didn't really know where to start.

o and i don't know about them just not workign or gradually not working, they didn't work when i bought it

thanks again