PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

Deadly300
01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
my quad is smoking and i saw some oil around the head not alot but enough to be notice and i was wondering if i need a new head gasket and if that is why it is smoking? THanks.

tencentsshy
01-23-2007, 01:19 PM
I know this may be dumb, but is the oil coming from the top of the head at the rocker arm cover, or at the bottom of the head where it meets the cylinder. Mine slowly developed oil on the top fins of the cylinder, and eventually popped and started spraying oil everywhere. I don't remember it smoking because I never really looked back, but that is a good sign of a blown head gasket.I was just making sure cause if oil is at the top of the head then you need a new rocker arm cover gasket, and the burning oil could be valve seals, or rings. Just depends on when it is smoking I guess. Is it the 440 thats doing this? They are very prone to head gasket problems.

Deadly300
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
it is my 440 and it is at the cylinder head not the rocker or valve area. so i prolly need a head gasket.

Ruby Soho
01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
did you feel exhaust coming out of it? does it make a rattling sound? it sounds to me like a blown head gasket. i blew mine too.. mine was because one of the studs wasn't torqued and it loosened, and the gasket blew right near the stud.